Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

RV to Europe

Hey all, I am DOD and have been assigned a two year post in Germany. I have a 2013 Thor Palazzo and would love to ship it over to tour the country with my family. Any of you in the form have experience shipping your RV from US to Europe? What would be the best way to accomplish this and any idea of rates for transport?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Duff
vynetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #2

A couple of things to consider: Most countries in Europe work on 240 volts and 50 Hz. If you have 50 A service to your coach, you have 240 volts between the hot legs, but 120 volts from each legs to the neutral. In Europe you have 240 volts from one leg to the neutral. Also, from what I have heard, black dumps are above ground, so you need a macerator with a pump to dump your holding tanks. Finally, since the Palazzo is 101 inches wide, it may not be legal in some countries. Even if it is legal, maneuvering on many narrow streets in Europe may present a challenge. As far as shipping it, it only takes $$$!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Europe does not in general have RV parks you are use to in the US. Services are different, most camp areas are mostly for tents or small caravans (trailers). There are alot of towns and roads I would never take a wide vehicle down. Having spent 10 years in various parts of Europe, I would say either store it or sell it.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #4

First get some prices. Then make your decision.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Have you checked the price of fuel in Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Winnebago Vectra which is a fraction over the new 12 Metre regulation (39'4"), but as it's in the country before the regulations changed it's OK.

I'm used to our little roads, and with a bit of practice so could you.

Many German towns have a ban on diesel vehicles or make a charge for pollution purposes.

As mentioned, many campsites only have a low power supply, often just 6A @ 230v and the use of generators is banned or frowned upon on sites.

A macerator is almost a must as have been mentioned.

A transformer to convert 230 to 110 is required.

TV's will need to be changed as well as satellite receivers if you want to receive English language services, Mostly provided by Astra 28.5, the footprint is aimed at the UK and is watchable down to mid France on an 85cm dish (about the biggest roof mounted you can get) for the South of Spain, people are buying 8' dishes to get TV!!

There is a wide range of free channels available (Freesat) and a subscription service from "Sky"

I was quoted $5k for a one way trip, as you are not importing to Europe, there should be no further taxes.

Fuel is about $7.30/US Gallon!!!
Bigpeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

I've been over here in Baveria Germany for about six months. They close the parks around the middle of October until spring so the season is short. They mostly use 14-22ft trailers with one axle pulled by an suv. While the Rv spots are in beautiful places spaces are pretty small. There are class c and a few class a and every town has a free place to park overnight that has plenty of room. You may be able to buy fuel at a U.S. Base cheap. U.S. Bases have Rv rentals available.
All in all I don't think it would be worth the expense of hassle. We left our Moho in the U.S. And stay in it when we visit.
Pic is Berlin Wall taken today
Good travels