Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
The real key is LOTS OF WATER. Dumping too often will stop you from getting a good amount of water to do the gravity whoosh when you open the black tank. No whoosh, no suction, and poor evacuation of the tank. LOTS OF WATER also makes it much easier to overcome and breakdown the solids. If you need to dump but have not used the black tank much, still fill the tank as much as possible with LOTS OF WATER before dumping. Oh, did I mention to use LOTS OF WATER?

Welcome aboard, and may you have many memorable camping experiences!
Exactly why I don't like to use the SaniCon in our rig. Luckily I can choose to use either one.
I have never had a grey or black tank plug up in the over 50 yrs I've been RV'ing. The previous owner of our rig evidently didn't know the proper care so I'm still trying to clean the tank out and remover the residue. Getting better, but still not totally empty.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I should probably clarify my previous post a bit. I have never had the black or the grey water tanks themselves clog up. I always make sure they are at least 2/3erds full or more before dumping them and have no problems.

The problem I run into is the pipe from the toilet to the black tank. Seems a combination of toilet paper without enough water will clog that pipe in my RV fairly easily.

The distance from the bottom of the toilet bowl to where the pipe connects to the top of my black water tank is about two feet and the pipe makes a 30 degree bend so I usually can't see the actual clog. I know there is a problem when I step on the flush valve and I see water either draining down the pipe slowly or not at all, and I know that the black tank is no where near full.

Thats when I get the snake and snake it down the toilet to break the clog.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNJanet View Post
I should probably clarify my previous post a bit. I have never had the black or the grey water tanks themselves clog up. I always make sure they are at least 2/3erds full or more before dumping them and have no problems.

The problem I run into is the pipe from the toilet to the black tank. Seems a combination of toilet paper without enough water will clog that pipe in my RV fairly easily.

The distance from the bottom of the toilet bowl to where the pipe connects to the top of my black water tank is about two feet and the pipe makes a 30 degree bend so I usually can't see the actual clog. I know there is a problem when I step on the flush valve and I see water either draining down the pipe slowly or not at all, and I know that the black tank is no where near full.

Thats when I get the snake and snake it down the toilet to break the clog.
If you can't see the clog, how do you know it is in the pipe and not where the pipe meets the tank? Although I don't have the bend that you do, my clog always formed at the place the tank empties into the black tank, as I said, by a pile building up on the bottom and reaching the pipe outlet. that was before I understood to use more water and wash the tank.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, you have me there! Since I can't actually see I try to flush the back tank a completely as I can.

I always make sure it is fairly full before I empty it. I connect a hose to the black tank flush connection and refill it a couple of times with the flush connection leaving the flush water running as I drain the tank.

I have one of those clear 45 degree elbow fittings so I can see inside the drain pipe. I attach the clear elbow pipe to the dump connection on the side of the RV and watch what is actually coming out of the tank.

I keep flushing, filling and draining the black tank until I no longer have anything but clear water coming out of it.

Of course since I can't see the inside of the tank that still doesn't guarantee that there isn't a pile of something that may be seriously stuck in there. I guess I should get a box of the enzymes that is used to keep a septic tank working properly and pour some of that in there with a fairly full tank and let it go to work for a few weeks to make sure....

You have me thinking now that I should try the enzymes and also possibly making some sort of flexible roto-router device that I could attach to a drill and snake down there to be sure....
Old 11-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #19

When we bought our used coach, I had to remove the dump valves and used a shortened awning pole to reach into the black tank and break up the poo mountain. It was surprisingly solid and the mountain came out in chunks. A side benefit to removing the valves was I was able to use plumbers grease on the seals and shaft. Now they slide open of closed very easy. I also found a tinny hearing aid battery wedged between the plastic valve and rubber seal! I checked.... it only had 0.4 volts
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Whilst hosting a campground this summer, I used our macerator to pump downhill around 150 feet to the sewer. I would sway the RV side to side a few times with the leveling jacks to loosen things up while running the tank flush before dumping.

I found out real fast what happens when you don't use lots of water when we owned our first RV. The dreaded Mount of Poo.

Another thing that helps is driving for 20 miles or so before emptying.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #21

I've been wondering lately why the gray and black tanks aren't connected? This would facilitate having more H2O from the gray to black. Hence more pressure for flushing (you know.. the number 2 stuff) to the dump station.
dano726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
i save grey water from washing dishes. When my husband is finished emptying the black tank, he signals by knocking on the side of the rig and I pour about 2 gal of grey water down the commode. This gives a good rinse from the very top, as he continues to drain that out, followed by the grey tank of course which rinses the solids out of the sewer hose.
I've started to do something similar to this. Each morning I do the breakfast dishes and I leave the coffee pot to the last item. When the dishes are done, I scoop out the soapy gray water from the sink and place it into the coffee pot and then pour it into the toilet bowl. Then I take the toilet brush and clean the toilet and flush. My wife is thrilled the toilet is kept sooo clean.

We still find the gray tank will fill up first, but at least when we dump the black tank has a lot more water in it.

BTW, I saw a video once showing what the inside of the black tank looks like while driving down the road, and going around curves. The water barely moved at all! Not what I was expecting to see.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
After hearing what you found in your tank Bigd9, I know I am going to have to do a similar clean out of my black tank. Not a job I am looking forward to!

But I won't be happy until I am sure that tank is clean and working properly!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #24

You can also put a mixture of Calgon and Laundry detergent in both the grey and black tanks. Did so the last time before headed home from campground and dumped when I got home. All kinds of black stuff came out of both tanks, and immediately I noticed the dump valves worked much smoother. Low and behold I checked the tank level sensors, and they started working again!

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
Old 11-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wink

We use the Geo Method on our tanks it was posted some time back. Since then we no longer use any RV tank additives.
When we first got our MH there was some "stuff" stuck on the bottom of the tank. Aften many tries, I got out the wand that I got at Costco. It has a shutoff valve and the nozzle swivels 90 degrees. After pouring in much water softener and bleach then using the water pressure provided by the wand I was able to see blast the bottom of the tank. In our coach the potty flush goes straight down to the tank.
We use our coach fairly often as a guest house for various Grand kids and family.
I got tired of paying to empty so often so we purchased a Flowjet macerator and when we had to have a plumber out for a water leak under the sticks & bricks, he plumbed a hookup that goes directly to the sewer line. After 30 paid dumps it paid for itself!
I do not remember the exact post but you can do a search on "Geo Method"
By the way Welcome to you and have many safe outings.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano726 View Post
I've been wondering lately why the gray and black tanks aren't connected? This would facilitate having more H2O from the gray to black. Hence more pressure for flushing (you know.. the number 2 stuff) to the dump station.
Some rigs (our Dutch Star was one) have the bath sink empty into the black tank just because most people don't use enough water when flushing. Haven't worried about it in the present rig, but should check on it I guess. It won't change anything though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #27

Before you dump your black tank put a bag of ice down the toilet and drive about a half hour and the ice will help remove debris and will clean sensors inside the tank as well just a little redneck engineering
Old 11-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my rig, the kitchen sink drains into the black tank, and this adds plenty of water. The black tank is also larger than the gray tank, since the gray only receives waste from the bathroom sink and shower. When boondocking, I frequently find that I have to take longish showers to have enough gray water to adequately flush the hose out after dumping the black tank!

Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote