Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

RV Toilet Issues

I am a newbie and I have read several past comments on the proper toilet paper to use and it sounds like the consensus is you can use most any brand, as long as it reads septic safe. We are currently using Angel Soft (septic safe), but just recently our toilet seems to be not flushing as well as it should. When I opened the float valve this morning with the foot pedal I could see wet
TP down inside. I flushed again, but the TP seemed to stay where it was visible. I went outside and dumped my black tank, but this didn't help. Could it be that I am dumping my black tank too often and not letting build up accumulate enough to allow good flow, as I have been doing it about every other day in fear of it getting too grungy and built up?
Thanks for any advice,
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlduck View Post
I am a newbie and I have read several past comments on the proper toilet paper to use and it sounds like the consensus is you can use most any brand, as long as it reads septic safe. We are currently using Angel Soft (septic safe), but just recently our toilet seems to be not flushing as well as it should. When I opened the float valve this morning with the foot pedal I could see wet
TP down inside. I flushed again, but the TP seemed to stay where it was visible. I went outside and dumped my black tank, but this didn't help. Could it be that I am dumping my black tank too often and not letting build up accumulate enough to allow good flow, as I have been doing it about every other day in fear of it getting too grungy and built up?
Thanks for any advice,
Dave
dlduck
See:

And:
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #3

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum!

Yes, you are dumping too often. You want to let the grey and black tanks get to 2/3rds to 3/4 full before dumping. Are you using anything in addition to flushed water to break down waste?

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The real key is LOTS OF WATER. Dumping too often will stop you from getting a good amount of water to do the gravity whoosh when you open the black tank. No whoosh, no suction, and poor evacuation of the tank. LOTS OF WATER also makes it much easier to overcome and breakdown the solids. If you need to dump but have not used the black tank much, still fill the tank as much as possible with LOTS OF WATER before dumping. Oh, did I mention to use LOTS OF WATER?

Welcome aboard, and may you have many memorable camping experiences!
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
More what????
I agree anyhow,

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Toilet Issues

Agree. Wait till black tank us 3/4 full to get a good dump.

We use Scott 1000 paper, available at Wallymart and elsewhere. On the Scott's website they speak to RV usage of this paper.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlduck View Post
Thanks for any advice,
Dave
You may also want to stop putting TP down there when only peeing, like my wife and others do. It is easy to get the TP mountain going when people keep going number one and following it with a bunch of wipers. Like others have said, let the tank fill up, more liquid the better.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
You may also want to stop putting TP down there when only peeing, like my wife and others do. It is easy to get the TP mountain going when people keep going number one and following it with a bunch of wipers. Like others have said, let the tank fill up, more liquid the better.
I agree with lots of water and dumping a mostly full tank. Use your tank cleanout valve if you have one. But most black tanks have sloped bottoms to facilitate dumping. The bottom is highest just under the toilet and lowest at the dump valve. When dropping solids into a dry tank they tend to build up below the toilet on the "dry" bottom of the tank. that is why lots of water helps. I have heard some people who squirt in a good shot of dishwashing soap after each dump to make the area below the toilet slicker.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

We have been rving for 40 years and normally added about 1 minutes worth of water to an empty black tank as its starting point. We found with our new MH we had to add 3 minutes worth of water to avoid the mountain. Something was different, but the 3 minutes solved the problem.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
i save grey water from washing dishes. When my husband is finished emptying the black tank, he signals by knocking on the side of the rig and I pour about 2 gal of grey water down the commode. This gives a good rinse from the very top, as he continues to drain that out, followed by the grey tank of course which rinses the solids out of the sewer hose.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #11

RV Toilet Issue

kb1flr (Rick),
I have now flushed the black tank 4 or 5 times using the black tank flush inlet valve with an extra hose. Each time have filled the tank to 2/3 - full with fresh water and then tried dumping. I am still not able to flush the toilet. The last time this morning that I filled the black tank with fresh water I have left the tank full and not dumped, hoping that the water might break up whatever solid build up might be in the tank. I have so far not used anything to break down the solid build up. Is there any product that I can pour down the commode to possibly break up what I assume has built up? Thanks to all for your help and advice.
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sir get one of these
RV Hydro Flush 45 Degree @ CW
Bought one and it really works and works fast too
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #13

Just use a long pole or stick, I used my awning pole, to shove the paper down. Use a product made for dissolving stuff. When traveling, leave a half tank to slosh around. I did use a wand to clean it once but that's all.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same problem from time to time. It is usually because someone uses the toilet and do not add enough water to the toilet bowl before flushing. Whenever there is toilet paper involved make sue to run enough water in the bowl to completely cover the paper plus some. The key to avoid paper clogs seems to be to use lots of water whenever paper is involved. At least that works for me in my RV.

I carry a standard retractable toilet snake for the times my grandkids don't put enough water in the bowl with the paper. I hold the foot valve open with one foot and run the snake down the pipe while water is continually running into the drain pipe. I work the snake up and down in the drain pipe all the way into the black tank. It usually takes 2 or 3 minutes of working the snake up and down to clear the clog.

I work the snake wire up and down for a minute or so and then test the toilet by filling the bowl and then flushing. If the water whooshes down and does not back up at all, then I know I have cleared the clog. If the water only runs down slowly or backs up with bits of paper floating I know I still have to use the snake some more. The pipe to the black tank on my RV is only a couple of feet long but I find I use about 3 feet of snake wire usually to clear the clog.

Hope this is some help.