Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #15

Our cat tried the old Willie Sutton escape trick. He nestled down in the laundry basket and got a ride to freedom. Almost pulled it off too. His downfall was that he popped his head out while in the car on the way to the laundromat.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Thanks What Great Advice

I am within a month of moving into my new to me 2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36'. I have 3 small dogs all rescued and loved. Cat was a Ferrel 3 week old rescue as well, now 7 years young. I am determined to bring her and have done or own some of the items talked about. Yes the places a cat can get. Adding to shopping list child locks for cabinets to crawl spaces, pool noodles not just for wiper blades, ICE form & copies, catnip , her carpet house & platform. One great benefit I didn't see posted; no need for in house mouse traps. Thanks Again.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #17

First nite in RV the cat started chewing up the dash. Other than that, he travels well, moving around as usual. Likes the bottom step while moving and comes up for attention.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Our matronly rescue cat of 10 plus years had no appearance of even having familiarity with the outdoors let alone prolonged vehicle travel. It is here that I must renew my marvel at the adaptability of these wondrous creatures. The ride is not her most favourite but she is very stoic about it. Finds a place to settle and there she stays until we stop. Once on location, she very quickly finds the best vantage points to look out the windows. We also have a harness that we can put on her. She generally doesn't like to leave the safety of the rig but there are those occasions where she will come down to the bottom step and on occasion set foot on the ground. She appears to prefer traveling with us than being in the care of strangers for weeks at a stretch. We too prefer having her along. We know how she is doing, it doesn't feel like we left part of the family behind and somehow just feels right.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #19

I take my cat in my 28 foot motor home. He's an indoor cat and doesn't even try to get out. At first I got a large wire crate and strapped it in by the passenger seat. Put a nice soft rug and his bed in it. When driving, he yowled constantly and would stick his paws through the wire reaching for me. I tried covering the cage so it would be like a cave (he likes to burrow.) He yowled constantly, amazing what volume a cat can have. When I would stop at a campground and let him out of the cage, he was perfectly normal. He even went into the open cage to stretch out and snooze. Finally during a long noisy drive I stopped at a rest stop and let him out for some food and water. He stretched out on the dinette cushion totally relaxed. Back in the cage - YOWL. I couldn't take it anymore. I stopped, let him out and said this is it, your choice, if I get in a wreck you know you're toast. When I started the engine he went in the back and burrowed under the bed covers. When I stopped for the night, he strolled out and stretched out on the dash. That's now our routine. When I get ready to leave I put him in the bathroom until the slides have finished moving. Then I let him out and as soon as I start the engine he burrows under the covers and sleeps until we stop.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #20

Make sure your cat has a collar with an ID tag that has your cell # on it in case they get lost. Also buy a leash and take him for a walk. Our cat loves walks, esp at night when it's quiet out (we call him Batcat when traveling because of this)! A leash keeps everyone happy.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr159 View Post
Make sure your cat has a collar with an ID tag that has your cell # on it in case they get lost. Also buy a leash and take him for a walk. Our cat loves walks, esp at night when it's quiet out (we call him Batcat when traveling because of this)! A leash keeps everyone happy.
We have tried the leash with a harness…..Mr. Acrobat can be backed out in a pico second. The collar is even faster.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #22

Just went to Morro Bay without our cat for 1st time. We really missed him, but he is meowing a lot day and night and could not take him. He had health problems and lost a lot of weight. He was on prescription diet food due to health problems in the past. He quit eating his diet food and lost a lot of weight. The vet said feed him anything to get him to eat. He is still whining and hungry a lot. Still losing weight. He is about 14 or 15 and we don't know what to do. He wakes me and our Doxie up at night. Not sure what to do but we want to take him camping next month. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #23

We were in Morro Bay last December, beautiful place!
Sorry about your kitty, we had an old guy who was like that, but that was because he was on prednisone for his cancer , never could fill him up. We just kept his dry food bowl filled so he could free feed and gave him a can of wet food ( kitten food for the fat and nutrients it had)every day and that seemed to satisfy him. He did go through a stage of not wanting to eat his food, so we gave him meat baby food to get him over the hump.

Your vet may be able to recommend a food that is more filling for him.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #24

Our spoiled cat yells for tuna. I don't know how he can tell the difference, but he loves Trader Joes tuna and is reluctant to even nibble on other brands. Of course he has his standard bowl of dried food available all the time.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We traveled with our cat and it worked very well. He used the cat box with no problem.
We put a harness on him with no fuss. He enjoyed being on the leash for walks. I really think he was a scardy cat and liked having US on a leash. !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6jsgrandma View Post
Just went to Morro Bay without our cat for 1st time. We really missed him, but he is meowing a lot day and night and could not take him. He had health problems and lost a lot of weight. He was on prescription diet food due to health problems in the past. He quit eating his diet food and lost a lot of weight. The vet said feed him anything to get him to eat. He is still whining and hungry a lot. Still losing weight. He is about 14 or 15 and we don't know what to do. He wakes me and our Doxie up at night. Not sure what to do but we want to take him camping next month. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
Having been through what you have experienced, I can only echo the idea of trying anything you can think of even if technically it isn't food. Ice cream, baby food, pablum. You can also feed them chicken broth by syringe. I wish I could be more helpful but I will suggest this for you. Enjoy the time you have together while you have it. It is precious. I would much rather give up some sleep and provide some comfort to a member of my family than be away from them. If your cat enjoys the travel and adventure, then take him with you. I'm sure he would rather be with you in his discomfort than away and you will worry if you aren't with him any way. But also remember that travel can be stressful on animals. You will have to balance the welfare of your friend with the need to go camping. It may be that the latter needs to give way to the former.

My hopes go out to you.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:07 AM   #27

HERE is a clicky to one incident involving a cat and a sudden stop.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6jsgrandma View Post
Our 14YO is having these problems, too. Her Liver is shrinking. Vet gives her a steroid shot and we feed her anything she will eat.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, travel