Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

RV travel with a cat

We have recently acquired a 1 year old cat and wondering if there are any issues travelling with her. I know that we will need the usual supports ( litter box food & water etc) but an interested to know before we head out for a 1 or 2 week trip whether or not we would soon be wishing we left the cat with friends instead.

I know that there are RV cat people and RV dog people who may weigh in on this but as relatively new RV folks, DW and I are interested in knowing what the key points before we head out so both people and cat are safe and happy.

Thanks in advance.

John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

We take 4 cats and a dog everywhere we go. The only thing I feel is a good thing is to put the cats in their carry cages when actually traveling form place to place. Works great for us but of course we are here for the benefit of our animal babies

Old 06-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #3

We travel with three cats and it is not a problem. We do not keep them caged when driving but we do have three collapsible carriers nearby if needed. They all find their comfortable places while moving and seem to enjoy themselves. Just make sure you know where your cat is when moving slides or opening doors to the outside. I think you will be glad that you took your cat. They need to get away, too.
Let us know how it works out.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #4

There is a subsection devoted to RVing with Pets, you might want to take a look there. It's under the "Forums => RV Lifestyle Forums" section at the top.

Having said that, yes, we travel with 2 cats, no issues. Want to repeat what dsurette said above, always make sure you know where they are before moving slides to avoid tragedy. Ours also roam freely, finding their happy place while we drive (usually under the sofa) and enjoy looking out once parked.

One thing I do is carry a folded paper in my wallet marked "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) that has contact info for emergency responders/hospital staff etc in case of a bad hair day in the toad. On it we update what RV park/what site we are staying at and the fact that there are pets onboard. My driver's license points to the home address, how would anyone know 3 states away that we are staying in a nearby campground and pets need attention if something really bad happens?

If they are not used to car riding, you might try getting them used to it before your RV trip with a few short hops around your area. And a touch of catnip helps them relax and sometimes helps with potential motion sickness.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post

One thing I do is carry a folded paper in my wallet marked "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) that has contact info for emergency responders/hospital staff etc ....

Excellent advice. We too carry a small hand printed ICE card that is updated every time we settle into an RV park.

Our cat (a walk on stray) has full run of the RV all the time with no problems. He window watches as soon as we park, but is invisible while in motion. The only advice I can give is to attempt to get a parking spot near a tree. Cats love to watch birds and squirrels. If a stray neighborhood cat walks past we hear about it ... lots of cat growling and trash talking.

Oh, one more thing ... you won't need an alarm clock. Cat will tell you when it is time to get out of bed.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

Watch your mesh screens on windows and doors. Can't blame our big guy, he just wants to explore.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #7

We had one of our cats escape at Bryce Canyon. Thought we would never see her again but when I was hooking up for departure the after two days of searching there was a tail hanging down from the spare. Grabbed it and hung on until I got her calmed down.

Lesson learned ~~ although ours are indoor cats, you need to be very careful with the door.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #8

We travel with three cats in our MH.....we carry three bags in case of emergency, otherwise they are out and about making our trips more fun because of them....
Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402188469.791313.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	685.9 KB
ID:	64854
Many of us do!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #10

We have ours along. At first she was not too happy but after the first 1000 miles, she got on to the routine and is now along for the ride. Loves checking out the birds at each new site. As said before, we have her in a carrier when traveling and make sure she does not get caught in the slides.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	64855  
Old 06-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
All good stuff, we have two. Our big male get stressed if we just dump him in the MH and go. We move him in and camp the night, or two, before we leave on a trip. They both get a chance to settle in without the motion and noises. Much happier. We also had them both microchiped. We use AKC Reunite. We also carry shot records.

I have to say it again, put your eyes on them before you move a slide….
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #12

One problem that you might encounter, is how to leave them for a day if you don't have an electric hookup for running the A/C.

I constructed a screened porch that attaches to a window.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outside.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	64885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	64886  

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

I constructed a screened porch that attaches to a window.

Joel

Is good ... I like !!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #14

Cat proof your Rig

Just a couple cat friendly suggestions. Our two cats have crossed the states twice and have adapted to life on the road. A couple caveats.

1) Some cats get motion sickness just like people.

2) Minimize the stress when possible. One of our two hates the beeping when we start our RV. We set up his bed under his favorite chair and drape a towel over the top. Soon as he sees us setting it up he knows we are about to roll.

3) You'll need to take some time to cat proof your rig. In the last 4 years one of our cats has:
a) Climbed under the kitchen sink, over the divider, and beneath the shower. (Full height backing now in place.)
b)Climbed up and over the slide while the slide was pulled in and wedged himself into a 6 by 18 space . (pool noodle now bocks access)
c) Last make sure you have some kind of locks on you window screens. Our slid open the screen made his break for freedom and then was lost for 5 days. Found him 2 streets over behind a foreclosed house. (We use Velcro in the screen track to keep them from being slid.)

Cats being cats, they will explore every nook and cranny. It helps you get to know your rig better!

Good luck!! We enjoy the company of our cats on the road it just takes a little prep work to keep them safe.

Bill

Tags
cat, travel