Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV traveling in Baja - Mexico?

We lived in San Diego for most of our lives, and enjoyed traveling down south to Baja CA. We did all this at least 12 years ago, and not in an RV. We especially enjoyed Ensenada, taking the toll road south from San Diego to Ensenada, but we also went as far south as Loreto on one memorable trip.

We would like to hear from those RVrs who have recently ventured down to Baja CA, or other parts of Mexico in their RV. Where did you stay and was it safe? Any problem with gasoline, water, propane, utilities, theft, etc.?

We're concerned about taking our 37ft RV down to Baja due to the drug wars and elevated violence that has occurred in some places. We don't want to gamble and take any chances with our rig (and our lives), but do miss the adventure of Mexico.

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merlin OR
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #2

My son is in the border patrol and based on the border. What he tells me there is no way I would go into Mexico right now. There is way too much unrest and kidnapping of gringos. There is a lot that is NOT being told to the everyday Joe Scmuckatelly US citizen. It is NOT safe down there. Several cartel families are at war and it includes Baja and Ensenada. You are taking a big risk with your family if you go. A lot has changed in 12 years.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto what Mike said. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #4

Plenty to see in the good old USA.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop
We lived in San Diego for most of our lives, and enjoyed traveling down south to Baja CA. We did all this at least 12 years ago, and not in an RV. We especially enjoyed Ensenada, taking the toll road south from San Diego to Ensenada, but we also went as far south as Loreto on one memorable trip.

We would like to hear from those RVrs who have recently ventured down to Baja CA, or other parts of Mexico in their RV. Where did you stay and was it safe? Any problem with gasoline, water, propane, utilities, theft, etc.?

We're concerned about taking our 37ft RV down to Baja due to the drug wars and elevated violence that has occurred in some places. We don't want to gamble and take any chances with our rig (and our lives), but do miss the adventure of Mexico.

Thanks,

Jim and Susan
Merlin OR
While drug violence is prevalent, if you travel in a group you should be alright. The last time I went to Baja alone was about ten years ago -- I wouldn't go alone now, partly due to the drug situation but also because I'm ten years older! :-)

I have gone farther down into Mexico (south of Mazatlan) with a group of eight family members and two RVs to visit relatives who live there (I'm Mexican-American, btw). We had no trouble with any drug violence, but the police did give us problems in two different towns.

If you do go, be sure your passport is current because a passport is now required to re-enter the US. Also inform the US Consulate of your trip and itinerary. Might also check with your insurance carriers (vehicle and medical) whether or not you're covered while across the border. I would also suggest not taking any pets because you could have quarantine issues when re-entering.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think as long as you travel in a group you'll be just fine. I'm not sure how soon our military will have an armored battalion available but when they do it will be safe for you to travel with them...maybe.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #7

It is not 10 years ago and not 12 years ago. My son is right there on the border and at border crossings where it is happening. The big thing is kidnapping and holding for ransom. What do you think a bunch of gringos in MHs looks like? The more the better. The Mexican police and army have little to no power to prevent or help. The more gringos the more $$$$$$$$. There is a lot that you guys are not seeing on the news and being told. Our military has no jurisdiction down there.

Read this whole State Dept TRAVEL WARNING not just part of it. They are trying to be politically correct in this warning
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_5440.html
Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Our military has no jurisdiction down there.

Read this whole State Dept TRAVEL WARNING not just part of it. They are trying to be politically correct in this warning
Mexico
Mike, I was being totally facetious. Apparently there are multitudes of folks that don't believe the fact that its dangerous as heck traveling in Mexico.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have spent the last 6 Winters in Baja. The only problem I have had has been when my house in CALIF, Got robbed while I was in Mexico. Leave San Deigo blow buy the boader and head South. Mike @ Terry Church do a great job on camping Baja. Remember all those drugs are being used by druggys in the USA.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #10

Jim, that is what my son says at the border crossings when they ask him how it is. When he tells them how it really is they are shocked. I guess ignorance is bliss.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ever been to New York, Chicago,Seattle,Los Angeles or any US big City? I feel safer in Mexico walking around. Travel at night in the wrong and you are looking for trouble. Yes along the border is bad but just start early cross and get away on a days drive. JMO

LEN
Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is risk in a lot of things we do----it just depends on how much risk you are willing to accept. Personally I think I am done w/ Mexico. I've been there and have never been bother by anyone, felt safe. I think things have deteriorated recently---enough to give pause for thought.

I've been a lot of places I liked and still do not intend to go back---there is so much of the USA that is inviting---and for the most part I can weigh my risk based on a lifetime of knowledge---I can't do that in Mexico.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #13

I have to agree with Len. Cross the border and keep moving south for a couple hundred miles. I just spent 2 weeks boon docking on a beach in Sonora and it was great. I drive a 40' dream. I filled up in Southern Arizona and didn't even have to stop for fuel in Mexico as I was only 230 miles south. Sorry I couldn't stay longer. Don't drive at night and as you should do anywhere, be aware of your surroundings and trust your gut feelings.
The military presence was more than in years past, but they were checking Mexican citizens and waving the north American tourists through usually with out a question.
Go for it and enjoy. Dano
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #14

We have lived in Cabo San Lucas for the past 12yrs and have driven up & down the Baja as well as taken the ferry & driven up & down on the mainland a couple of times a year. (over 25 trips) We also know hundreds of Americans & Canadians who make this trip (trouble free) every year. Drugs, gangsters, crime, etc is everywhere (Mexico, USA, Canada) & if you know any big city cops (in Canada or the USA) they can tell you all kinds of scary stories for hours on end!

Listen to the news, read the papers, look-up crime statistics.....are you afraid to travel in the USA????

Wherever you travel you need to use common sense. Having said that we would not travel at night (unfenced cattle are more dangerous than bandidos), we would not linger near the border & we would not boondock alone.

My biggest concern for RVers considering a trip to the Baja is not safety from crime.....but..... road safety. While the road has been improved over the past 10yrs it is still very narrow in a lot of places so be sure your rig handles very
well. Other than that... You'll love the Baja, the people, the beach camping, the warm water & weather, the great food... Did I mention the great, friendly, gentle, honest people!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote