Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Annapolis,MD
Posts: 1,196
At the Hershey RV show last week, I could find zero large motorhomes
without a residential frig. Not one Norcold or Dometic.
On a hot day, the large double door gas absorption units will not
cool adequately, even with extra fans and especially if it
is mounted in a slide out. Unless you do dry camping, go residential.
__________________

__________________
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj

Just curios, was this on elec, or gas.
Either one. If I go above 3, the frig turns into a freezer.
__________________

__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
laj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,242
Ok, thanks. I'm not quite that lucky. Have to be on 4 to get those numbers. Other then that absolutely no issues with mine.
__________________
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Lets see, here are some differences, you make the logical choice.

RV fridge - $4000. Residential fridge - $1000.
RV fridge - 12 cu.ft. or less. Residential fridge - 15 cu.ft. or more, typically 18-21 cu.ft.
RV fridge - Requires worthless recalls (Fire trap). Residential fridge - far less risk and no recalls.
RV fridge - Requires extra fans inside and outside to help it work better. Residential fridge - no additional fans, simply plug in and enjoy.
RV fridge - doors fall off, door seals not replaceable, control boards fail, de-ice every 3-4 weeks, small storage areas. Residential fridge - 30-80% more storage space, frost free, replaceable door seals, etc.

Well, you get the picture.

I switched in April and I will NEVER go back to a RV fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,117
I installed the below a while back just under the roof vent, sucking the air out. Made that difference.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-GUARDS/1.html
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Residential Fridges are a relatively new idea that used to be restricted to very high end Coaches, but has now begun to work their way down to mid-range units. If I was looking to purchase a NEW MH in the +$300K range, I would take a hard look at an "all-electric" rig. After almost 2years on the road we have found that our style of travel is from one power pedestal to another, so we would be well suited for this option.

On the other hand, I would never be looking to spend +300K on a fancy NEW rig. Most (not all) of the great deals on top quality USED rigs are still propane units and you'll have your choice of Norcold or Dometic. We have a double door Dometic that has been trouble free and very good at keeping everything "cold". Mind you, we do not travel in the US south during the extreme heat of summer.

If our Dometic ever decides to call it quits, I would certainly take a look at the Res. Fridge option, but I am not sure I could run it on our current 4x6 volt battery bank & 2000watt inverter. While we have storage space for a second inverter, I have no idea where we would find room for a second bank (4x6 volt) of batteries. In other words, if you are looking at USED rigs don't automatically assume the switch to a Res. Fridge will be easy, cheap or without some trade-offs.
__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film
Lets see, here are some differences, you make the logical choice.

RV fridge - $4000. Residential fridge - $1000.
RV fridge - 12 cu.ft. or less. Residential fridge - 15 cu.ft. or more, typically 18-21 cu.ft.
RV fridge - Requires worthless recalls (Fire trap). Residential fridge - far less risk and no recalls.
RV fridge - Requires extra fans inside and outside to help it work better. Residential fridge - no additional fans, simply plug in and enjoy.
RV fridge - doors fall off, door seals not replaceable, control boards fail, de-ice every 3-4 weeks, small storage areas. Residential fridge - 30-80% more storage space, frost free, replaceable door seals, etc.

Well, you get the picture.

I switched in April and I will NEVER go back to a RV fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard....What other costs did you have going to the Res. Fridge? Did you need a larger battery bank? Did you require a second Inverter? What about extra wiring & installation cost?
__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
tlkhorses's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 251
What about the Amish cooling coils and the dinosaur board? I had heard they made a huge difference and cost far less than a new fridge.

Tk
__________________
Terri & Maria, Staci, Penny, Bailey and Stacker(our Norwich Terriers)
2006 Damon Tuscany 4076
2013 Ford C-Max
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
milasman's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 883
Residential fridge for $1000, how many years ago was that.
__________________
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
Member
 
NoFear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 96
Wow!! I guess that answers that question. Residential it is! Now if I could just take part of this floor plan and part of that floor plan....put them together...I'd have the perfect coach.
__________________
2007 Monaco Executive, 45'. Director and Assistant Director for a non-profit.
NoFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #25
Registered User


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,198
Just to chime in, cause it seems most of these posts refer mostly to the older "Notcolds"...

We have the big Dometic, the side by side with the zigzag doors.
It's 13-14 cubic feet, plenty big enough for us.
It makes ice fast enough to keep up with us, even 5 of us in the infield for a nascar race! (and we needed a lot of ice!)
It cools fast on either gas or electric, the freezer runs at 3 degrees, the fridge at 35, and our ice cream is always hard.

My next rig will undoubtedly have a residential fridge, but I have no issue with this Dometic.

The older ones, norcolds especially, would worry me.
__________________
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
If our Dometic ever decides to call it quits, I would certainly take a look at the Res. Fridge option, but I am not sure I could run it on our current 4x6 volt battery bank & 2000watt inverter. While we have storage space for a second inverter, I have no idea where we would find room for a second bank (4x6 volt) of batteries. In other words, if you are looking at USED rigs don't automatically assume the switch to a Res. Fridge will be easy, cheap or without some trade-offs.
I have a residential frig (Whrilpool 18.5 cu.in. full load Amp 6.5) and I have 4x6 volt house batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. I can run my frig, all electronics (TV, Blue Ray, TV receiver, Microwave, etc.) all will work over night (dry camping at Walmart) without any difficulty. I do not see a need to add 4 more 6 volt batteries plus a second 2000 watt inverter just to power a residential frig. The residential frig works good for my lifestyle.
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
PDR John's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,627
We never had a problem with the Dometic, but we still like our residential frig better.
__________________
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Jack1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds

I have a residential frig (Whrilpool 18.5 cu.in. full load Amp 6.5) and I have 4x6 volt house batteries and a 2000 watt inverter. I can run my frig, all electronics (TV, Blue Ray, TV receiver, Microwave, etc.) all will work over night (dry camping at Walmart) without any difficulty. I do not see a need to add 4 more 6 volt batteries plus a second 2000 watt inverter just to power a residential frig. The residential frig works good for my lifestyle.
Thanks for the info....good to know should the Dometic call it quits.
__________________

__________________
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.