Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
RV Warranty Coverage

My dealer provided a brochure on RV Warranty coverage. Anyone have?
Experiences? Any other org. to look at for RV Warranty repair coverage?

I read from someone that AAA Premium roadside assistance is better than Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Supposedly AAA will tow multiple times, versus Good Sam only once/year. Can anyone advise best policy based on your experience?

Thanks so much, a newbie,
Bev

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bev and welcome to the forum.

I think you're speaking of extended warranties as opposed to the factory warranties which come with new units?

These are actually insurance policies rather than "warranties" and the membership here have split views on their value. I bought one with my new 07 DP and we were glad to have the peace of mind for six years but didn't renew it when it expired.

Easy Care was the company we were with.

Use our search feature and you'll find a ton of opinions on this topic.

Roadside assistance is a separate beast from the extended warranty. You can search on this too and I think you'll find that CoachNet is preferred by a fairly large percentage of our membership.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have AAA (CSAA in California) premium.

Blew a inside rear dual a few months ago. Towing was just under $2,000 and repair, ripped out exhaust system and coach wiring harness, was $10,400.

I paid $50.00 and the rest was covered.

I got the Premium card and found it was worth it.

This is not an extended warranty...just insurance.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

The problem with extended insurance warranties is the fact that there are so many exclusions. As an example, with a factory warranty the breakdown is enough to get repairs done; there are no further requirements. With an extended insurance warranty, there must be an inspection to determine the cause of the breakdown. Typically, if the breakdown was caused by fluid loss, gasket or hose failure, or a myriad of other types of causes, the insurance company will not pay. It is therefore of utmost importance to review the proposed policy very, very carefully so that you understand what is and what is not covered. The insurance companies are sticklers and getting reimbursed or having repairs paid for is like jumping through hoops. Also you must adhere to the notice requirements and the maintenance requirements because failure to follow the conditions can also be a reason to deny coverage.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebksafari View Post
The problem with extended insurance warranties is the fact that there are so many exclusions. As an example, with a factory warranty the breakdown is enough to get repairs done; there are no further requirements. With an extended insurance warranty, there must be an inspection to determine the cause of the breakdown. Typically, if the breakdown was caused by fluid loss, gasket or hose failure, or a myriad of other types of causes, the insurance company will not pay. It is therefore of utmost importance to review the proposed policy very, very carefully so that you understand what is and what is not covered. The insurance companies are sticklers and getting reimbursed or having repairs paid for is like jumping through hoops. Also you must adhere to the notice requirements and the maintenance requirements because failure to follow the conditions can also be a reason to deny coverage.
Good advice to read the fine print on anything we buy and EWs are certainly near the top of that list.

The way EW providers respond to claims is really all over the map with some coming right out of the blocks making every attempt to deny a claim while others are much more lenient.

With Easy Care, I never once had to even speak to anyone at the company because the shops I did business with all had a good working relationship with them and billed them directly. Never had a claim denied nor did I ever need to have a company rep perform an inspection on any failure.

YMMV.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Good advice to read the fine print on anything we buy and EWs are certainly near the top of that list.

The way EW providers respond to claims is really all over the map with some coming right out of the blocks making every attempt to deny a claim while others are much more lenient.

With Easy Care, I never once had to even speak to anyone at the company because the shops I did business with all had a good working relationship with them and billed them directly. Never had a claim denied nor did I ever need to have a company rep perform an inspection on any failure.

YMMV.

Rick
I have had the same experience with Interstate Star. I have never had a claim denied and I have never had to talk to a company rep. I have stated here many times that the repair facility you work with makes all of the difference in how your claim is handled. YOMD

My policy has paid 4 times what I paid for it but I probably won't renew either.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebksafari View Post
The problem with extended insurance warranties is the fact that there are so many exclusions.... It is therefore of utmost importance to review the proposed policy very, very carefully so that you understand what is and what is not covered. The insurance companies are sticklers and getting reimbursed or having repairs paid for is like jumping through hoops. Also you must adhere to the notice requirements and the maintenance requirements because failure to follow the conditions can also be a reason to deny coverage.
bevnika, the first thing you have to understand is that while they are referred to as "extended warranties", what they really are is service contracts that are underwritten by an insurance policy. All of this occurs on the administrative end, and you never see it. But its worth it for you to check who the administrator is, and who the underwriter is.

I bought my service contract from Wholesale Warranties. They're just the sellers. It is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance, and administered by Allegiance Administrators. My experience with them to date has been stellar. No major hassles, no weaseling, no outrageous conditions. The repair facilities handled the communication, and all was direct billed.

What ebksafari wrote above can sometimes be accurate, but usually with the lower priced coverages, and dealing with smaller, less well-known repair facilities. If you read how their different plans are structured, there is almost always a way to get maximum coverage, but you'll have to pay. SO PAY!! You're betting that something expensive is going to break, so you ought to be able to figure what its worth to you.

A couple of points I try to remember:

1) Don't buy cheap. You'll wind up with cheap and be very dissatisfied. Buy the full Comprehensive Coverage, and be sure to spend a couple hundred more to buy "Consequential Damage". This way you're covered as well as you can be.

2) A year ago I paid Wholesale Warranties $4700 for a four year service contract on a ten year old coach. I was betting that a number of parts or appliances on this coach would breakdown in the ensuing four years. Now a year has passed, and the company has paid out a total of about $3600 on two claims. I'd say I'm on the way to winning my bet. And that doesn't even include two roadside service calls and a $550 tow that were fully paid by CoachNet.

I have become a supporter of good quality contracts, when carefully researched and purchased.

Good Luck!!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
RV Extended Warranty Coverage

Hi Everyone,
Thanks to all for your wonderful responses....sorry I wasn't so clear.
My Coach being a 99, I ASSUME I have no more warranty coverages will check with my dealer on that before pickup.

I will look into all recommendations....you folks are sooo great for a newbie returning to RV'g. I sincerely appreciate your patience....trying to get all my ducks in a row before the pickup!

Regards to all who responded.

Bev
Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Many of the extended service plans will not cover coaches over ten years old so make sure about that first. Second before buying one from a dealer check some other sources. The one we were offered by the dealer was about $1000 higher than Good Sam that we ended up with. We even gave him the chance to match it or come close and no deal.

We kept our ESP for the first year we owned the coach and about broke even and figured all the bugs would be out. Not so but I'm not sure anything else we have repaired would exceed the cost of the ESP.

Yes, make sure to read the fine print. An awning problem we thought was covered was not to the tune of $700. When we looked at the policy we had online to check to see if it was it clearly stated it did but our paperwork said it did not. We lost this battle of course.

Some people will say that you should take the money you will spend on that policy and just put it in the bank. If you are lucky then it will work out.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Or, do what a lot of us did/do - take the cost of the 'extended warranty', or as we did 10% of the purchase price , and put it into a separate account and add to it each month ($50-$100), then when something needs repair, YOU are in charge, not someone on the other end of the line. Plus, you will have the funds to fix something that is wearing out BEFORE it breaks, which none of the EW policies cover. And as the account grows you wlll have funds available for things like tire replacements and replacements of aging appliances.

Remember, in order to make money the companies have to take in more than they pay out. Some of them pay upwards of 50% commissions on the sale of the policy!

Now, roadside assistance is a different animal all together. Strongly recommend Coach-Net. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Just curious. For those who consider EW's "gambling" and choose to self insure... do you feel the same way about health/life/auto insurance?

To be clear... I'm not making a case for EW's one way or the other. In fact, I just chose NOT to renew mine. It's just that there seems to be a very strong sentiment on the part of some that EW's are somehow very different from other insurance policies and I don't understand the reasoning.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #12

I'm with Rick, just trying to understand.

We are buying a new MH in the next week. It will come with the factory warranty, but I suppose we should also review an EW.

I love the idea of replacing things before they break, and not having to rely on someone else to decide if it is covered, but I can't imagine not having a policy that will cover us... Just in case. Sorry, did not mean to highjack the thread. Just trying to learn all that I can!! Looking forward to more replies on the subject!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
Just curious. For those who consider EW's "gambling" and choose to self insure... do you feel the same way about health/life/auto insurance?

To be clear... I'm not making a case for EW's one way or the other. In fact, I just chose NOT to renew mine. It's just that there seems to be a very strong sentiment on the part of some that EW's are somehow very different from other insurance policies and I don't understand the reasoning.

Rick
Not against EW's just exhausted from the cost of all the "insurances" you can possibly buy!

Auto....no choice.
Home....to big an asset % of net worth not to protect.
Health....same as House.
Dogs Health.....no biggie & an emotional buy.

That's it......roll the dice on everything else.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I buy insurance to cover cost of events I cannot afford to incur, unless of course if the insurance coverage is a mandated purchase by our government or a creditor.

EW is in that category if the engine or transmission of my purchased rig is well covered by that insurance policy. The chassis and house repairs covered are just frosting on the cake.

On a new rig, the engine or tranny should have a fairly long warranty that would be duplicated by the EW. So an EW to me would not be a necessary purchase.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote