RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Rv won't charge batteries on shore power

I have been having trouble keeping my batteries on a c ( live in Maine) I have 4 batteries. Finally realized they were only being charged when RV motor was running. It also wouldn't with the generator running. Normally wouldn't notice it in summer but winter the furnace runs almost constantly and run the batteries down rapidly, I thought it was the converter, so changed it out. Didn't fix it. Finally took it to the dealer and it only took them about 10 mins. to find the problem. In the battery compartment there is Box fuses the if you looked at the strip you would think it was just a terminal block but it is a holder to hold 4 fuse . A 50 Amp 30 amp and 20 amp these are high amp fuses. The 50 amp fuse was blown. That is what it was. Cost me parts and labor $67 An easy and quick fix. Thank you Lord. Hope this helps someone. God Bless Rick
__________________

Rickbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ready2Travel's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oregon, Idaho
Posts: 591
Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you indicate your make, model, and year you will get better answer.

Suggest creating a signature with Motorhome info included.
__________________

__________________
2017 Entegra Anthem 44B, Gold Ribbon, Ambience
2018 Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster BlackHawk II, AF1
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD (Sold) 1980 Hilary Tent traded in on Vectra
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,055
A common answer for that is the storage/salesman switch is off or the relay defective. The easiest way to check is to unplug the RV and see if the lights work. If they do then the relay is closed. If not toggle the switch to turn the lights work. Don't forget to also try the light switch. Once you have the lights working the battery will probably charge.

If you have a voltmeter the other easy check is to look at the voltage on either side of the relay. It's usually a big can relay located near the house batteries. Just follow the heavy wire. The voltage should be the same on each big terminal to ground. If not the relay is open. Toggle or replace as needed.

This issue you are probably dealing with is the converter is connected to the house side of the relay. That will let you run the house off the converter but not charge the batteries.

If that is not the problem post more information starting with the make and model and what voltage you have on each side of the big relay. Somebody will jump on it from there.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickbnd View Post
I have been having trouble keeping my batteries on a c ( live in Maine) I have 4 batteries. Finally realized they were only being charged when RV motor was running. It also wouldn't with the generator running. Normally wouldn't notice it in summer but winter the furnace runs almost constantly and run the batteries down rapidly, I thought it was the converter, so changed it out. Didn't fix it. Finally took it to the dealer and it only took them about 10 mins. to find the problem. In the battery compartment there is Box fuses the if you looked at the strip you would think it was just a terminal block but it is a holder to hold 4 fuse . A 50 Amp 30 amp and 20 amp these are high amp fuses. The 50 amp fuse was blown. That is what it was. Cost me parts and labor $67 An easy and quick fix. Thank you Lord. Hope this helps someone. God Bless Rick
What did you do with your old converter?
d_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you indicate your make, model, and year you will get better answer.

Suggest creating a signature with Motorhome info included.
If you click on the used name it shows the make, model, and year of rv that the user has indicated they own.
d_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you indicate your make, model, and year you will get better answer.

Suggest creating a signature with Motorhome info included.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170315-140624.png
Views:	59
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	154898
d_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you indicate your make, model, and year you will get better answer.

Suggest creating a signature with Motorhome info included.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170315-140826.png
Views:	52
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	154899
d_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
old converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_elegance View Post
What did you do with your old converter?
I am keeping it for a back up. The old one was 60 volt and the new one is 80 volt. I had to change the plug on the new on as it had a 30 amp plug on it so I had to put a 20 amp plug on it. It charges my batteries faster as we use our motorhome through the winter.
Rickbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
sunset4k's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
A common answer for that is the storage/salesman switch is off or the relay defective. The easiest way to check is to unplug the RV and see if the lights work. If they do then the relay is closed. If not toggle the switch to turn the lights work. Don't forget to also try the light switch. Once you have the lights working the battery will probably charge.

If you have a voltmeter the other easy check is to look at the voltage on either side of the relay. It's usually a big can relay located near the house batteries. Just follow the heavy wire. The voltage should be the same on each big terminal to ground. If not the relay is open. Toggle or replace as needed.

This issue you are probably dealing with is the converter is connected to the house side of the relay. That will let you run the house off the converter but not charge the batteries.

If that is not the problem post more information starting with the make and model and what voltage you have on each side of the big relay. Somebody will jump on it from there.


We had the same problem on or 06 HR Navigator, and indeed it was the relay that had gone out
__________________
Jerry & Diane Kovar
2006 HR Navigator 43pbq
2015 Jeep Wrangler/Blue Ox Avanta
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 82
I had this issue with my Newmar Kountry star. When on shore power, the
batteries would not charge. I got lots of ideas and help, but it ending up being my error.

I have a "use/store" switch on mine with a LED light showing in use.
When I plug into shore power, I MUST switch to "in use" to charge the batteries. This stumped me because the light comes on when I plug in,
so I assumed (erroneously) that that meant I was in the "use" mode.

Now when I plug in, I set my switch to use, and all is good.

Best of all, this is my ONLY rv fix that didnt drain my wallet

Russ
__________________

__________________
Russ and Mary, Dahlonega, GA
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3302 Workhorse 8.1
Acme tow dolly with 2015 Honda Accord
RMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries, power, shore power



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holiday Rambler doesn't charge chassis batteries on shore power SpiritLed New Member Check-In 9 10-21-2015 07:38 PM
'96 Flair(22') is it shore power supposed to charge the engine battery? Motor7 Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 12 01-11-2015 06:17 PM
No Power from Shore Power and will not charge batteries Airstream14 Class A Motorhome Discussions 19 07-07-2014 08:04 AM
Are my chassis batteries supposed to charge from shore power? DanandBetty Monaco Owner's Forum 12 12-20-2013 10:39 AM
Shore power will not charge batteries exfed12825 RV Systems & Appliances 12 11-30-2013 11:37 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.