Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #1

Rv won't charge batteries on shore power

I have been having trouble keeping my batteries on a c ( live in Maine) I have 4 batteries. Finally realized they were only being charged when RV motor was running. It also wouldn't with the generator running. Normally wouldn't notice it in summer but winter the furnace runs almost constantly and run the batteries down rapidly, I thought it was the converter, so changed it out. Didn't fix it. Finally took it to the dealer and it only took them about 10 mins. to find the problem. In the battery compartment there is Box fuses the if you looked at the strip you would think it was just a terminal block but it is a holder to hold 4 fuse . A 50 Amp 30 amp and 20 amp these are high amp fuses. The 50 amp fuse was blown. That is what it was. Cost me parts and labor $67 An easy and quick fix. Thank you Lord. Hope this helps someone. God Bless Rick
Rickbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you indicate your make, model, and year you will get better answer.

Suggest creating a signature with Motorhome info included.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #3

A common answer for that is the storage/salesman switch is off or the relay defective. The easiest way to check is to unplug the RV and see if the lights work. If they do then the relay is closed. If not toggle the switch to turn the lights work. Don't forget to also try the light switch. Once you have the lights working the battery will probably charge.

If you have a voltmeter the other easy check is to look at the voltage on either side of the relay. It's usually a big can relay located near the house batteries. Just follow the heavy wire. The voltage should be the same on each big terminal to ground. If not the relay is open. Toggle or replace as needed.

This issue you are probably dealing with is the converter is connected to the house side of the relay. That will let you run the house off the converter but not charge the batteries.

If that is not the problem post more information starting with the make and model and what voltage you have on each side of the big relay. Somebody will jump on it from there.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickbnd View Post
I have been having trouble keeping my batteries on a c ( live in Maine) I have 4 batteries. Finally realized they were only being charged when RV motor was running. It also wouldn't with the generator running. Normally wouldn't notice it in summer but winter the furnace runs almost constantly and run the batteries down rapidly, I thought it was the converter, so changed it out. Didn't fix it. Finally took it to the dealer and it only took them about 10 mins. to find the problem. In the battery compartment there is Box fuses the if you looked at the strip you would think it was just a terminal block but it is a holder to hold 4 fuse . A 50 Amp 30 amp and 20 amp these are high amp fuses. The 50 amp fuse was blown. That is what it was. Cost me parts and labor $67 An easy and quick fix. Thank you Lord. Hope this helps someone. God Bless Rick
What did you do with your old converter?
d_elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post

If you click on the used name it shows the make, model, and year of rv that the user has indicated they own.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170315-140624.png
Views:	102
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	154898
Old 03-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170315-140826.png
Views:	137
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	154899
Old 03-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

old converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_elegance View Post
What did you do with your old converter?
I am keeping it for a back up. The old one was 60 volt and the new one is 80 volt. I had to change the plug on the new on as it had a 30 amp plug on it so I had to put a 20 amp plug on it. It charges my batteries faster as we use our motorhome through the winter.
Rickbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
A common answer for that is the storage/salesman switch is off or the relay defective. The easiest way to check is to unplug the RV and see if the lights work. If they do then the relay is closed. If not toggle the switch to turn the lights work. Don't forget to also try the light switch. Once you have the lights working the battery will probably charge.

If you have a voltmeter the other easy check is to look at the voltage on either side of the relay. It's usually a big can relay located near the house batteries. Just follow the heavy wire. The voltage should be the same on each big terminal to ground. If not the relay is open. Toggle or replace as needed.

This issue you are probably dealing with is the converter is connected to the house side of the relay. That will let you run the house off the converter but not charge the batteries.

If that is not the problem post more information starting with the make and model and what voltage you have on each side of the big relay. Somebody will jump on it from there.

We had the same problem on or 06 HR Navigator, and indeed it was the relay that had gone out
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #10

I had this issue with my Newmar Kountry star. When on shore power, the
batteries would not charge. I got lots of ideas and help, but it ending up being my error.

I have a "use/store" switch on mine with a LED light showing in use.
When I plug into shore power, I MUST switch to "in use" to charge the batteries. This stumped me because the light comes on when I plug in,
so I assumed (erroneously) that that meant I was in the "use" mode.

Now when I plug in, I set my switch to use, and all is good.

Best of all, this is my ONLY rv fix that didnt drain my wallet

Russ
RMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #11

Hi, this sounds like my current problem. The red LED light is always on and the rocker switch seems to do nothing. Is it supposed to stay up or down because mine returns to the middle. My lights work on the batteries but cant charge the batteries. Batteries are at 11.5 VDC and my converter is putting out 13.5. Is all that is in between is that solenoid? There are fuses on either side of that solenoid and one was blown...but it did nothing.
Latschco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latschco View Post
Hi, this sounds like my current problem. The red LED light is always on and the rocker switch seems to do nothing. Is it supposed to stay up or down because mine returns to the middle. My lights work on the batteries but cant charge the batteries. Batteries are at 11.5 VDC and my converter is putting out 13.5. Is all that is in between is that solenoid? There are fuses on either side of that solenoid and one was blown...but it did nothing.
The switch is working properly. It is only suppose to send a momentary pulse of power to a latching relay in the battery control center (BCC). I would bet the relay has failed. You could put a volt meter on the small terminals on the relay while someone presses the switch and see if you have the voltage going to the relay. If you have the power, the relay is bad. If no power, you have a bad fuse for the system. This fuse is mounted in the BCC on my coach and probably is there in your coach. I burnt out the latching relay in my BCC when I threw some equipment into my coach when in storage and it fell onto the switch and held it in one of the on positions causing the relay to be powered continuously. Expensive lesson. I now actually look where I put stuff in the coach when it is in storage. By the way, the polarity to the two small terminals is reversed when the switch is pressed in the other direction.

Tags
batteries, power, shore power