Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Would your rig then need to be registered as a commercial vehicle? If so that can change your drivers license requirements in some states. Possibly insurance also.

How hard is it to remove the wrap stuff and is removal part of the bargain?

I think I am a no on this.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Personally, I'd probably do it - probably wouldn't even need $4k/month but as others have stated, getting 500 miles / week over an extended period of time is not going to happen with most motor homes (I think the average owners might put 5k miles / year on their motor home). I don't think having advertising whether it's a wrap or stickers or paint job on a vehicle is going to make it a commercial vehicle.

FWIW, I actually tried to do this (get a company to pay me to have advertising) a few years a few years ago when we did an extended trip - I put ads on craiglist and eBay and I never had any interest.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #31

wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
So... some of you would take money, for services rendered. Hmmmm...
Not sure of the point here. If you have a job, aren't you taking money for services rendered?

GL Arnold
Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #32

One of the stipulations is to drive 500+ miles in a specified county each week.
So, you go where you are told.
This is not cross country touring.
No way, Jose
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen lots of RVs with advertising on them ------

What they are advertising is their own blog/website/church/books and they have no problem what so ever about being able to stay in campgrounds. People have their cars wrapped all over the place for money. If you travel and use your own vehicle for business than your vehicle is considered a tax deduction which I think would be the same in this case. You at that point would have to keep track of all receipts that have to do with any time you spend on the "job" of driving it around or driving it from spot to spot just like a regular travel job. Lots of tax deductions if you keep track of things makes the self-employment tax get down to almost nothing.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
I don't think having advertising whether it's a wrap or stickers or paint job on a vehicle is going to make it a commercial vehicle.
Neither did a bunch of racers who found themselves targets of commercial enforcement. Some states were looking for rigs pulling decal-laden race vehicle trailers (cars, motorcycles, etc.). The racers were asked if they were racing for prize money. If the answer was "yes", they were deemed to be commercial. How does that differ from taking $4K/month for driving a wrapped RV?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #35

I find three classes of commercial vehicles.

1- Carrying passenger for hire. Wouldn't apply.
2- IRS, used in a business. Could apply.
3- State Driver licensing requirements. Could apply, depending on the state. Could be the biggest problem.

Maybe why it's not being done...?

GL Arnold
Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Neither did a bunch of racers who found themselves targets of commercial enforcement. Some states were looking for rigs pulling decal-laden race vehicle trailers (cars, motorcycles, etc.). The racers were asked if they were racing for prize money. If the answer was "yes", they were deemed to be commercial. How does that differ from taking $4K/month for driving a wrapped RV?

Rusty
I probably wasn't clear in my message but as GL Arnold described, I certainly do agree that this is taxable income and would need to be reported as income to the IRS but I don't think this would make the motor home a commercial vehicle.

Similarly, I imagine those racers had to declare the prize money as income but I can't imagine their vehicles where now considered commercial vehicles because they used them to make the income.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
....but I can't imagine their vehicles where now considered commercial vehicles because they used them to make the income.
The vehicles were determined to be "engaged in commercial activity" which makes them, in the eyes of the enforcing states, commercial vehicles. Those states viewed them as just as commercial as a Hendricks, Penske or Roush team transporter. Commercial activity does not require that the vehicle be for hire.

Rusty
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #38

IF the motorhome IS classified as commercial (highly likely) then part of the can of worms will be weigh stations.

I believe the reason racers where classified as commercial was because their trailers were advertising their racing teams.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #39

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I believe the reason racers where classified as commercial was because their trailers were advertising their racing teams.
Actually, they were advertising their sponsors' products/services with all the decals (no different than the RV wrap scenario, right?) That triggered the traffic stop. The commercial determinant was that there was money involved in their activity - they were transporting the racing vehicles, supplies, etc. to/from races where they were running for prize money. If one is driving the RV around to fulfill the terms of an agreement to earn the $4K/month, would that not be similar commercial activity? Perhaps - I wouldn't want to be the poor sucker who is going to establish case law on this one!

Rusty
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #40

This is how the state of Texas defines a "commercial vehicle." -

(5) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used to transport passengers or property that:
(A) has a gross combination weight or a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, including a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight or a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds;
(B) has a gross vehicle weight or a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds;
(C) is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
(D) is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded under 49 C.F.R. Part 172, Subpart F.

For what it's worth. Looks to me like no commercial driver license and no weigh station stops required.

Just my humble opinion.

GL Arnold
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #41

Evergreen Owners Club
I put a call in to my insurance agent today and she is looking into the commercial vehicle part .
as far as paying tax on income that is a must in the good oll USA but you could probably write of fuel and expense and pay tax's on net.

mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to a commercial vehicle (If it is carrying advertising I guess that makes the vehicle a commercial doesn't it? Sorry about the pun, Don't bother to answer.)

You need to check out the license requirements,, Now I do not know the precise language in Michigan for when a "other than basic driver's license" is required as it pretains to something like this, but I'm thinking that you might need an upgrade if you get paid to drive the vehicle, which this purposal clearly is.

In the old days it was a Chauffer's in Michigan, Today it might be a Chauffer's or a CDL (They are different) I do not know, I also do not know if you'd need a medical card.

The bottom line here is you need to research, Cause I do not know and thus can only ask questions.

It may also affect the registration of the vehicle if it carries advertising (other than for the dealer who sold it).