Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV'ing to Hawaii

We'd really like to bring our condo on wheels to the sun kissed shores of Hawaii.
Any likelyhood of a crowdfunding effort to join the mainland to those tropical shores? We know were in!

ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

Can we start the bridge at Quartzsite?

Matt B

Old 06-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #3

Oh man is it going to be another toll bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

I'm taking the family to the Hilton Hawian village in a couple of months it sure would be cheaper to camp but I guess shipping the rev would be expensive.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #5

I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think you're allowed to have an rv in Hawaii. Just an article I came across on accident a few weeks ago.

http://rvtravel.com/publish/RV_Hawaii.shtml
Old 06-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I know this is a frivolous thread but even if you could build a bridge (hah!) once you get there, for obvious reasons, Hawaii is an extremely RV unfriendly state. There are hardly any RV parks and no RVs allowed in state and most county parks.

A relative of mine who lives on the Big Island tells me that it is the only practical island to have a Class A RV. They tell me a few wealthy residents have luxury diesel pushers, but for the common middle class resident, it doesn't make sense as it just costs too much to transport a Class A motorhome between islands. And on Oahu, it's impractical at best to have a Class A, again, for obvious reasons.

Here's an old article from 2008 from Honolulu's local paper, the Star Bulletin, that I've have bookmarked that gives an explanation. I'm sure it hasn't changed much since then: Click here
Old 06-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #7

This man and his wife were having problems. One day he found a old bottle and when he rubbed it a Genie jumped out of it. Genie told him he had 2 wishes. Man said I want a million dollars. Ok Genie said. Now what is the second wish. Man said I want a bridge built from San Fransisco to Hawaii. Genie said man do you know what all that would involve to do something like that? Can you think of anything else you want. Man thought for a few minutes then said Ok "Explain a woman to me. What makes her tick." Genie sat there and thought for a while then said "How many lanes do you want on that bridge?"
Old 06-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been to Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island. We never saw large (over 20 foot) RVs. Occasionally we would see a very old truck camper, very small C or converted van. Last February I shot a photo of RV camping at Black Sand Beach on the west side of the Big Island.
I will attempt to post the photo. My first time.
Leslie
2003 Minnie 29B

I copied the photo, now how do I paste it here?
Old 06-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mike View Post
I've been to Kauai, Oahu and the Big Island. We never saw large (over 20 foot) RVs. Occasionally we would see a very old truck camper, very small C or converted van. Last February I shot a photo of RV camping at Black Sand Beach on the west side of the Big Island.
I will attempt to post the photo. My first time.
Leslie
2003 Minnie 29B

I copied the photo, now how do I paste it here?
As I understand the procedure; go to advanced options where you type your reply. Scroll down to attachments, click the box then locate the picture on your computer. It must be small enough to conform to the irv2.com requirements listed there before you may upload the picture.
Better yet, return to the main forum page, enter the forum questions thread and locate the specific irv2 instructions. I know mine are probably incorrect, as I've only done it a few times in the last 13 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Park on Big Island

This is the most RVs I have seen in a park. I think there are four. The roads are generally too narrow and steep for anything much longer than 20 ft. I was surprise to see this many RVs together. I did not see more than one the previous two times I visited. This is Black Sand Beach on the Big Island.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150217_095048752.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	97308

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150217_094940598.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	97309

I hope these photos work.
Leslie
Old 06-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for the photo directions, Ray. I got it! There were a few small-tent campers on the ocean side of the parking lot. They were nestled in between bushes, trying to find some soft sand in which to pitch their tent. There isn't much soil covering the lava.

On the north side of Kauai, there is a park where their were tent campers, but not RVs. We did see a small old teardrop trailer parked in a yard. Things are pretty close, so people just drive home for the night. These are relatively small islands. Plus Honolulu,Oahu is jammed with traffic- one of the busiest in the nation.

We did see surfer bum types in makeshift tents in the brush on Oahu's North Shore. No way would a RV work, plus it says "No overnight camping"
Leslie
Michigan
Old 06-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #12

You're quite welcome! Good pictures, and about what I expected to see for RV's/campers in Hawaii. I just can't picture a 40' diesel pusher there. It's been 20 years since we honeymooned in Honolulu, and traffic was bumper to bumper then.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
Can we start the bridge at Quartzsite?

Matt B
You must have watched that new San Andreas movie!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been visiting Hawaii for over 35 years. Ever since I was a kid, I noticed that there were MANY Westfalia VW campers. They were very popular in the 60's through the early 80's. That's about the only really feasible RV on any of the Hawaiian islands.

However, when VW started pricing their vehicles about the same or more than most small mid-western homes, they started to disappear as they aged out.

You virtually never saw a 90's $75,000 VW Eurovan Westy's around the islands because it was easier to just purchase a condominium, (or small home for that matter, even in Hawaii), and list it as a rental and trade it if you wanted to stay on a different island.

Tags
rving