Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
We are trading in our old(?) 2003 gas Mountain Aire for a 43' Tiffin Allegro Bus, MAYBE. I am concerned about traveling (only west of Miss river) and finding camp grounds. Resorts are nice, but...

Would appriciate all comments and thoughts on RVing with a big rig.

Wade(Retired) & Michelle (now Retired)

2009 Phaeton 40QTH
Wade & Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
We are trading in our old(?) 2003 gas Mountain Aire for a 43' Tiffin Allegro Bus, MAYBE. I am concerned about traveling (only west of Miss river) and finding camp grounds. Resorts are nice, but...

Would appriciate all comments and thoughts on RVing with a big rig.

2009 Phaeton 40QTH
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Don't let it bother you, I had a 42ft. Monaco DP and we went anywhere we wanted to go. I've been told that some state parks might be tight, but we just stay outside of the park and drive our Toad into the park to look around. By the way, I just traded my 42 up to a 45 footer this month.
Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
You won't have any problems...go enjoy.
2008 42" Foretravel Nimbus CE
2007 Chevy Tahoe Toad
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Thanks for the response. Did you have an issue finding parks to stay in? I know some of the ones we have seen had a hard time with our current unit, so that worries me. We do plan on staying outside the National parks and driving in and around.

2009 Phaeton 40QTH
Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Just pick your parks based on "Big Rig" friendliness, and you won't have any problems.
wilpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
I have been in my 43' for over two seasons. I have only been slightly inconvenienced vs. my 40'er. I would not let it dissuade you from your purchase in any way.

I do however wish we would have just went to 45'. Not sure what your budget is and I do realize that the entryl level 43' models vs. the entry lever 45' models have a significant price difference.
Scott Crompton
07 Dutch Star 4304
Sue (DW)Celia 10, Alec 8, Bella (Greyhound), Isis (Abyssinian)
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I was worried about going from a 31' class C to a Class A. At 35', mine is downright nimble! good luck to you!!!
2005 National Sea Breeze 1341 w/ 2006 Ford F53 chassis
tps0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Wade & Michelle,
I'll backup what others have said, you should not see much difference in the park access between your "old" coach and your new coach. We have traveled frequently in the southwest and southern states and have had no problems with a 40 footer and would have had no problem if it had been a 45 footer.

Another way to look at it is, you could rarely get into National Parks with your Mountain Aire, could get into many state parks, and could get into the vast majority of private parks. That will not change.

Traveling in the Northeast is a different story. Many of the older parks there are just not setup to handle the larger rigs, so you must choose wisely.

Congratulations on your new coach, we are considering the Tiffen 43' for a 2010 purchase.
'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
I look at that situation this way. The part time inconvenience you may run into will be largely (pardon the pun) offset by the full time conveniences of having a larger coach. We have always been able to find another camp close by that could accommodate us in the rare instances that someone would turn us away. I have only had to spend a few extra minutes trying to find a "Big Rig Friendly" site compared to the many hours of enjoyment that only a large, home like, coach can give once parked.
"An RV not used is a Useless RV"

ScubaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #11

To say that size won't matter to you is not exactly accurate. I've RV'd west of the Miss for over 10 years, and size can make a BIG difference. What it rally comes down to is what kind of RVing you like to do. If going from RV campground to RV campground is what you like to do, then yes, you will have no issues. But if you like rustic locations, like beaches or mountians then you can have a real issue. Most often it is not the size of the space you need to be worried about. It is the ROADS that lead you to the space. The obsticales such as trees, rocks, or other rigs parked within their spaces can prevent you from getting into your desired space. I had a 30' 5ver for years, and getting into some places just was not possible.

So it's up to you to decide what kind of RVing you like to do. If you rarly do National Parks, beaches and mountians, then that 43' will most likey not be an issue.

My .02 Sarge
Marty and Diane, Fulltiming!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
I was going to make a funny reference to the title of this thread...but it is too early and I haven't had enough coffee yet...

We went from a 30' gas coach to just under a 37' DP and we only have a few issues with some forest campgrounds and some out of the way places. Most are developing full size spaces and while ours isn't as large a coach as you are considering, I have seen that most can easily accommodate you with either a pull-through or back-in site.

If we were going to half or full time, I would get the biggest available for my budget since you can't "add-on" to your coach. If you are pulling a toad, then what was said about the major National parks is applicable since their roads were never designed to handle anything more than a car.

Here is a blurb describing the differences.

"The numerous designations within the National Park System sometime confuse visitors. The names are created in the Congressional legislation authorizing the sites or by the president, who proclaims "national monuments" under the Antiquities Act of 1906. Many names are descriptive -- lakeshores, seashores, battlefields --but others cannot be neatly categorized because of the diversity of resources within them. In 1970, Congress elaborated on the 1916 National Park Service Organic Act, saying all units of the system have equal legal standing in a national system.

National Park: These are generally large natural places having a wide variety of attributes, at times including significant historic assets. Hunting, mining and consumptive activities are not authorized.

National Monument: The Antiquities Act of 1906 authorized the President to declare by public proclamation landmarks, structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest situated on lands owned or controlled by the government to be national monuments.

National Preserve: National preserves are areas having characteristics associated with national parks, but in which Congress has permitted continued public hunting, trapping, oil/gas exploration and extraction. Many existing national preserves, without sport hunting, would qualify for national park designation.

National Historic Site: Usually, a national historic sitecontains a single historical feature that was directly associated with its subject. Derived from the Historic Sites Act of 1935, a number of historic sites were established by secretaries of the Interior, but most have been authorized by acts of Congress.

National Historical Park: This designation generally applies to historic parks that extend beyond single properties or buildings.

National Memorial: A national memorial is commemorative of a historic person or episode; it need not occupy a site historically connected with its subject.

National Battlefield: This general title includes national battlefield, national battlefield park, national battlefield site, and national military park. In 1958, an NPS committee recommended national battlefield as the single title for all such park lands.

National Cemetery: There are presently 14 national cemeteries in the National Park System, all of which are administered in conjunction with an associated unit and are not accounted for separately.

National Recreation Area: Twelve NRAs in the system are centered on large reservoirs and emphasize water-based recreation. Five other NRAs are located near major population centers. Such urban parks combine scarce open spaces with the preservation of significant historic resources and important natural areas in location that can provide outdoor recreation for large numbers of people.

National Seashore: Ten national seashores have been established on the Atlantic, Gulf and Pacific coasts; some are developed and some relatively primitive. Hunting is allowed at many of these sites.

National Lakeshore: National lakeshores, all on the GreatLakes, closely parallel the seashores in character and use.

National River: There are several variations to this category: national river and recreation area, national scenic river, wild river, etc. The first was authorized in 1964 and others were established following passage of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act of 1968.

National Parkway: The title parkway refers to a roadway and the parkland paralleling the roadway. All were intended for scenic motoring along a protected corridor and often connect cultural sites.

National Trail: National scenic trails and national historic trails are the titles given to these linear parklands (over 3,600 miles) authorized under the National Trails System Act of 1968.

Affliated Areas: In an Act of August 18, 1970, the National Park System was defined in law as, "any area of land and water now or hereafter administered by the Secretary of the Interior through the National Park Service for park, monument, historic, parkway, recreational or other purposes." The Affiliated Areas comprise a variety of locations in the United States and Canada that preserve significant properties outside the National Park System. Some of these have been recognized by Acts of Congress, others have been designated national historic sites by the Secretary of the Interior under authority of the Historic Sites Act of 1935. All draw on technical or financial aid from the National Park Service.

Other Designations: Some units of the National Park System bear unique titles or combinations of titles, like the White House and Prince William Forest Park."
1998 Gulfstream 36' Sun Voyager Bus Platinum
quikduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
You will notice that almost all negative posts on this subject (go to the archives) will come from folks with smaller units. Those that drive the bigger ones will almost always be postive. I've been in a 41' for the past twelve years now and going from coast to coast, I have never been in a situation that I couldn't work through. Sometimes corners are a little tight, but we have gone where we wanted both ultra modern to very rustic and never had an issue. Same folks will tell you that height is the issue, most 30-32' coaches are about the same height as a 40-45'. They all run about 11-12' tall. Go for it if it is what you want!

2001 40' Beaver Thunder
2007 Chevy Silverado
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote