Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 71
RVP Battery Control Center help

My RVP battery control center has a problem, where the aux start relay is always on, no matter what the battery voltage is.

I have been unable to find anybody who knows anything about the finer workings of the board.

I have changed the Integrated Circuits and transistors, but still have the problem.

What I'm looking for is anybody who knows what number the 3 transistors should be. I have a feeling that mine is using the wrong ones (based on the diagram from RVP)

Or if we have any experts, I'd love to hear from them

Regards

David
__________________

__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysystems View Post
My RVP battery control center has a problem, where the aux start relay is always on, no matter what the battery voltage is.
I have been unable to find anybody who knows anything about the finer workings of the board.
I have changed the Integrated Circuits and transistors, but still have the problem.
What I'm looking for is anybody who knows what number the 3 transistors should be. I have a feeling that mine is using the wrong ones (based on the diagram from RVP)
Or if we have any experts, I'd love to hear from them
Regards
David
I'm certainly not an expert, but well versed on the logic of the RV-CP BCC and circuit board. Notice that I do not claim any knowledge of the thing at the component specification level.

I assume you have totally eliminated the solenoid itself as the source of your problem (To say nothing of the aux start switch and wiring), and that it is not simply shorted (welded) internally. It still may have a coil problem. I would suggest possibly replacing the solenoid before condemning another circuit board.

Another suggestion might be to simply replace the integrated circuit on the CB-115 board with an Intellitec BIRD unit. That could prove cheaper than a new RV-CP board.

Good luck and you've certainly piqued my interest.
__________________

__________________
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 71
Yes, I checked the relay. If I remove the feed wire it does disconnect. It also disconnects when the coach power is switched of at the breaker switch. But it will stay connected, so that if one battery goes flat, they both will.

I have removed the board and removed the two voltage control ICs. I still get power to the aux solenoid wire. That doesnt seem right.
The diagram I have shows q1 and q3 as pnp type transistors. Mine are npn type.

Of course it is difficult to read the face of the 3 transistors ( q1,q3,q4) on the board. If someone could do that, I'd be really happy.

It isn't the money for a new board, it's the challenge of solving a problem. I hate to be beaten by something that looks so simple

David
__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysystems View Post
Yes, I checked the relay. If I remove the feed wire it does disconnect. It also disconnects when the coach power is switched of at the breaker switch. But it will stay connected, so that if one battery goes flat, they both will.
I'm having a problem understanding just what is meant by each statement in the above paragraph.

What breaker is it that you are switching off in sentence two? The main breaker?

You do know that if you are plugged into shore power (even with both battery disconnects in the disconnect condition) that the board will pick the aux/start relay with converter voltage of 13V+ , don't you?

You can prove this by tripping the DC breakers in the BCC or simply unplugging the converter.

If you are not plugged into shore power (even with the disconnect switches in the USE position) the relay won't pick because the battery voltage won't meet the threshold of 13.2vdc.
__________________
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
I'm having a problem understanding just what is meant by each statement in the above paragraph.

What breaker is it that you are switching off in sentence two? The main breaker?

You do know that if you are plugged into shore power (even with both battery disconnects in the disconnect condition) that the board will pick the aux/start relay with converter voltage of 13V+ , don't you?

You can prove this by tripping the DC breakers in the BCC or simply unplugging the converter.

If you are not plugged in to shore power (even with the disconnect switches in the USE position) the relay won't pick because the battery voltage won't meet the threshold of 13.2vdc.
When I say that it won't disconnect, this is with no shore power and the disconnects connected, so my relay is on no matter what the battery voltage is.
Yes I'm switching the main breaker - the disconnect switch (inside, just above the door on my RV)

David
__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysystems View Post
When I say that it won't disconnect, this is with no shore power and the disconnects connected, so my relay is on no matter what the battery voltage is.
Yes I'm switching the main breaker - the disconnect switch (inside, just above the door on my RV)
David
Okay, nomenclature is the problem with my understanding of your situation. The switches by the entry door are not referred to as breakers, because they are really just toggle switches (not circuit breakers as we know them).

Are you saying that, with NO external shore power connected, but with the disconnects in the ON condition, the relay picks. And that with the disconnects turned OFF, that the relay will drop out?

You also may not be giving the system enough time for the battery voltage to decay below the last charging voltage level (typically 13.6 from the converter and/or 14+ from the alternator) It typically takes sixty to ninety seconds for my relay to drop out under these same circumstances. The battery voltage has to drop to below 12.2 (older boards) 12.6 (newer boards) before the relay will drop out.

Regardless of board version level, it should take a minimum of 13.2 volts to re-pick the relay after it drops out.
__________________
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post

Are you saying that, with NO external shore power connected, but with the disconnects in the ON condition, the relay picks. And that with the disconnects turned OFF, that the relay will drop out?
.
Yes, this is what I'm saying. Sorry. I'm still getting used to RV nomenclature.

Also, with the batteries at 10 volts, my relay picks as soon as I switch on the disconnects.

The board is out, and I can get power to the relay wire by using a 1.5 volt D cell to power the board.
Something is wrong. That's why I need to find out which transistor goes where. I could reverse engineer a circuit diagram, but that takes too much thinking for me right now. I may replace the diodes too. These components are really cheap. It would probably be around $25 to replace everything ( except the relays on the board)

David
__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Old Bounder's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,634
David, I don't think I could be of any help to you beyond the suggestions I've already made. I wish you good luck and would appreciate a progress report from time to time. As you can see, I'm a student of the BCC operation, myself.
__________________
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
David, I don't think I could be of any help to you beyond the suggestions I've already made. I wish you good luck and would appreciate a progress report from time to time. As you can see, I'm a student of the BCC operation, myself.
I'll keep you up to date. I can see me buying a replacement BCC of some kind.
I'll try to email Mary? at RVP to see if she will tell me the transistor part numbers. ( I guess that your board is like mine - not easy to get at to read any numbers)

thanks

David
__________________

__________________
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36Z
kaysystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.