Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It truly is a sad day, not only for the family of the police officer, but for the person driving the MH. Since we can't know all the circumstances, it's very easy to say what he should or should not have done. I just pray that he did all he could have done to avoid the accident.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It truly is a sad day, not only for the family of the police officer, but for the person driving the MH. Since we can't know all the circumstances, it's very easy to say what he should or should not have done. I just pray that he did all he could have done to avoid the accident.
Ditto! Totally aside, I have seen some pretty aggressive MH drivers out there. Hopefully this will be at least, a small reminder to all of us to exercise even more caution, slow down, stop "get-there-itus", and to be even more mindful on the road.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #17

I'm with Rich. I'm a pilot too, but VFR only. I also ride motorcycles, 2008 Goldwing and 2007 VTX1300. It amazes me how some people ride m/c's. Oblivious as to what's around them. My head is on a swivel, constantly, in the car, motorhome, airplane, and bike.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
That motorhome driver should be charged . It's a no brainer you move over or hit your
brakes. He drove inbetween two emergency vehicles and obviously didn't slow
down. And what he said about not being able to move over because of traffic...Bs..
Put your signal on and change lanes if you cant do that then jump on the brakes. If he tried
to slow down but couldn't then he was going to fast. Throw the book at him...what a waste of life because of someones neglect.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #19

Rich made excellent points. We've got to be in ACTIVE mode. Surely it's a tragedy and our hearts go out to the families involved, we've got to learn a lesson from it.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #20

Another thing they will look at , did the driver of the motor home have the correct license to operate the motor home?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
That motorhome driver should be charged . It's a no brainer you move over or hit your
brakes. He drove inbetween two emergency vehicles and obviously didn't slow
down. And what he said about not being able to move over because of traffic...Bs..
Put your signal on and change lanes if you cant do that then jump on the brakes. If he tried
to slow down but couldn't then he was going to fast. Throw the book at him...what a waste of life because of someones neglect.
Maybe some details prior to CHARGES.....The police are on site, just loss one of there own....they are INVESTIGATING.....always a good place to start...RIP officer.....
Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #22

He drove in BETWEEN 2 emergency vehicles?????

I have been in the situation where I just could not get over without causing a second accident. I'm not sure if it was due to all the rubberneckers or a disregard to the move over law and my turn signal. Anyhow, all you gotta do in that situation is slow WAY down like everyone says. I can't think of any situation in which the Motorhome driver was anything besides negligent. If he drove between two EMS vehicles in that manner, then it should be criminal negligence.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #23

Related: Middle Tennessee police face many dangers on roads

A witness looking down from the on-ramp, who was stuck in traffic from the first accident, said there was nothing Diver could do to avoid catastrophe. "He had the vehicle stopped 100 feet past the truck," Jeff Martin of Brentwood said. "He jumped right out within seconds and was urgently running back to see what had happened. The TDOT truck driver grabbed him and put his arm around him and walked him away from it."

This is a Quote from the story, I am not saying that there is no culpability here, I am saying it is a totally Ignorant to pass judgement on a situation without any of the details.....it is possible that the officer put himself in an unsafe situation that caused this horrific outcome....I hope all those passing judgement never end up in a bad situation ....
Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #24
Commercial Member

the brake is on the left.
a new concept is to slow down, and change lanes if possible, especially when there are emergency vehicles on the highway, even with no red lights.
there is no situation where a few seconds or a car length is worth a life.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #25

Emergency responders have many things to occupy their minds. IMO it is up to the driving public to make sure their driving is not one of them. DRIVE DEFENSIVELY! For everyone's welfare.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I try to drive carefully but its amazing the way people drive out there, they cut my 38 ft motorhome plus toad off, tailgate where I can hardly see them back there. Cut in on my right if I'm passing, had an idiot do that. Then seemed to be amazed that he couldn't pass me on the right because I was passing someone, guess I was lucky he didn't go ahead and do it!

They get frustrated when I slow down for hazards and drive the legal posted speed in those areas. I'm not about to hit anyone but I've had some close calls from idiots. And people just do not want to let you in. I have taken to slowly moving over, if they want to squeeze in not much I can do and I've had them do that too. And I can see why truckdrivers get so frustrated, folks in 4 wheelers have no idea how long it takes to stop one of these things. I pray I can keep avoiding the distracted and crazy drivers out there. We have a friend that drove a truck all his life, he said he enjoyed it till the last few years but the drivers had become really bad the last few years. However, he also had just driven over the bridge that collapsed in Wisconsin a few years back the day before. I think that put the fear of God in him too, he was ready to retire so did. He was saying how bad the infrastructure is also.

I try to skirt cities anymore, there are some crazy drivers out there believe me. I'm sure most of you have seen it too. Cellphones have to be the worst thing in the world to put in already distracted drivers hands.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Condolences to the officers family.

It is sad when anyone loses their life for any reason but more so when they are very young, just starting their life.

The news article was very brief but the statement of the MH driver saying that he was unable to change lanes and attempted to drive between the Highway vehicle and Officers car would indicate there will be charges laid.

I agree with the statements that you have to be aware of where you are in relation to the environment around you and drive accordingly.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #28

Latest update

http://www.wsmv.com/story/25508183/r...officers-death