Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #29

Hmmm, if that is true then I guess I sure was a bit hasty in condemning him. A blast of the horn may have helped but I don't know if I would have done any better confronted with that after a blind corner.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
When in doubt STOP! There must have been enough warning for him to stop and flashing lights would have been the first clue.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Read the update on page 2
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #32

According to police the first warning was posted 2 miles from the scene. If that was true, traffic should have been preparing to take action, not continue at normal speed. I'm a retired state trooper who survived many near misses during my 30 year career, because of inattentive traffic. You learn very quickly that traffic will kill you. I'll be curious to see the final report, before providing my judgement.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Hmmm, if that is true then I guess I sure was a bit hasty in condemning him. A blast of the horn may have helped but I don't know if I would have done any better confronted with that after a blind corner.
I'm not sure I saw any "smoking gun" in that update report.

The key point made was that the sign before the blind curve said one lane was closed when there were actually two closed. OK, but from the photos, it appears that impact was in the far right hand lane... so even if only one lane was closed he hadn't cleared that one either.

As for the blind curve, aren't we driving too fast for conditions if we can't stop in time because of something stopped in the roadway? Kind of like over driving one's headlights at night.

I do not intend to condemn the driver. There will be an investigation and it will determine what happened. However, these discussion are really valuable for us to have since there but for the grace of God ... it could be one of us facing the same blind curve tomorrow.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
I try to drive carefully but its amazing the way people drive out there, they cut my 38 ft motorhome plus toad off, tailgate where I can hardly see them back there. Cut in on my right if I'm passing, had an idiot do that. Then seemed to be amazed that he couldn't pass me on the right because I was passing someone, guess I was lucky he didn't go ahead and do it!

They get frustrated when I slow down for hazards and drive the legal posted speed in those areas. I'm not about to hit anyone but I've had some close calls from idiots. And people just do not want to let you in. I have taken to slowly moving over, if they want to squeeze in not much I can do and I've had them do that too. And I can see why truckdrivers get so frustrated, folks in 4 wheelers have no idea how long it takes to stop one of these things. I pray I can keep avoiding the distracted and crazy drivers out there. We have a friend that drove a truck all his life, he said he enjoyed it till the last few years but the drivers had become really bad the last few years. However, he also had just driven over the bridge that collapsed in Wisconsin a few years back the day before. I think that put the fear of God in him too, he was ready to retire so did. He was saying how bad the infrastructure is also.

I try to skirt cities anymore, there are some crazy drivers out there believe me. I'm sure most of you have seen iupt too. Cellphones have to be the worst thing in the world to put in already distracted drivers hands.
I have experienced all of what you just outlined above. Most of us probably have. The only thing you can do is drive defensively like everyone else is an idiot who is about to do something really stupid - especially on the interstates and near cities. That way when it actually happens maybe you will be prepared. Of course, most drivers are NOT idiots, but you can never know about the guy next to you, or coming up on you, at any moment in time.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #35

What was the MH driver doing going between the cruiser and the Emergency vehicle? Or did I read this wrong? In congested traffic, I never do the speed limit, always slow enough to make sure I can stop or avoid a problem. Besides, I concentrate a lot of attention on what is happening ahead are far as possible. IF I can't see, I slow and really irritate the folks behind me.

This year has been really bad for officer accidents, I really admire their willingness to stand in harms way, and feel especially sad for their loved ones when things go wrong.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Comments from the locals (in the article) state that the curve is not "blind" at all. I don't understand why the driver didn't SLOW DOWN when he saw safety cones and any lane closures ahead. What a tragedy for all involved.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE ]I am saying it is a totally Ignorant to pass judgement on a situation without any of the details..[/QUOTE]

details: A man driving a motorhome plowed into a police car and is blaming a sign for the officers death.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
For many years I was trained on the "Smith System of Defensive Driving". We went thru the training each and every year.

I don't remember all of it but a few of the things I practice to this day.

1. Aim High in Steering
Look 15 seconds into your future. (Donít just look at the vehicle in front of you)

2. Get the Big Picture
Look for Hazards. (Other Motorists, Pedestrians, Vehicle doors opening)

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
Donít stare. (Use your peripheral vision)(Stop the fixed habit stare)

4. Leave Yourself an Out
Monitor the space cushion around you.

5. Make sure They See You
Use your signals- (Directionals, 4-Way Flashers, Head Lights, Brake Lights, Horn, Hand Signals) Make Eye Contact.

A great set of driving rules, especially when driving a big vehicle.
You don't work for my company do you ??? We also use the Smith System... It helps IF you use it.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What was the MH driver doing going between the cruiser and the Emergency vehicle? Or did I read this wrong?
He didn't have time to stop and found the space between the vehicles to be his only option. I guess he figured that if only one lane was closed, he could maintain highway speed. Deadly mistake. Some say that we should wait for the details before passing judgment, I say the only details that are missing are... was he texting, was he falling asleep was his wife nagging him. was he reading a map. No details will give him a pass on this one. From what we read we know the accident was not caused by a medical condition.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #40

I'll be the first to admit that I have very little experience behind the wheel of a MH...I guess everyone starts with the same amount--none. Reading this thread of posts has been enlightening. There is a lot to glean from the combined experiences of many of you with years of experience behind the wheel of a MH. I am now far more "academically" knowledgable on what to do, but hope I never face a similar situation outside of the classroom.

Like starting anything new at this age, I'm taking it slow and learning from your experience!

God bless those lives involved in this tragedy.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
You don't work for my company do you ??? We also use the Smith System... It helps IF you use it.....
I've never heard it called the "Smith System" before, but it is widely used by safety instructors in many fields. I've been taught that system twice. That is exactly what I was taught when taking motorcycle instruction years ago from a "Motorcycle Safety Foundation" instructor. Every one of those points is especially helpful for a motorcycle rider. And the same principles have been adapted to flight instruction - especially when teaching private pilots how to safely fly in or near congested airspace.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I think I have been lucky more then anything, only a couple of accidents in my life. When 18 a drunk driver hit me head on in my lane, there was no where for me to go. To the left were lots of people, to the right a deep ditch and light pole. Besides I guess I thought sure he would go back over or something.

Did have one years ago that was my fault, there was road construction and I was pulling out of Compaq Computer as I thought the light was green, it was very confusing and you couldn't tell which light was for which lane. Luckily no one was hurt, pure luck.

And one couple years back where a guy tried to squeeze between me and the next land where I was pulling a 16 ft flat bed. I was cited on that one as the trailer went over a bit into his lane. He said that was the 2nd time an accident like that happened to hit. Uhh, well sometimes these are hard to get a wide enough angle on the turn, I never get next to one that is turning, but oh well I take the blame.

I too had those in my 68 years of driving. I hope I continue being lucky though I try to be careful. But you never know when one lapse in judgment can be fatal to you or others. We just have to drive as safely as we can and always be aware. I told my husband for some reason I don't get sleepy driving the motorhome like a car. He said because you are always busy scanning, left right, behind, in front and having to be aware all the time, I agree, that is likely the reason. Also if I do start getting a bit tired I just stop for a walk or nap at the nearest roadside park or parking lot along the road.

Hope I can continue being safe and all of you do too.