Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Safari Diesel 36ft for less than $20k

just found this on craigslist... only 20 miles from my home.

price is low enough you could afford to upgrade / repair it a lot... of course, that might be throwing good money in a hole...

my parents (age 70) are looking now... we (age 50) are casually looking to buy something in next year so we can travel on small trips... full time plans in 9 years. Not sure if this would be something that could last us 9 years and/or be able to sell/trade at that time.

Safari 36 ft diesel REDUCED Again

wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Master of Disaster

My grandparents have a very similar coach. To be honest... I'd look slightly upmarket.

Some thoughts on this:

1) it's almost certainly on an old Oshkosh leaf spring chassis -- not an air ride.
2) there's a good chance it doesn't have an exhaust brake (it was optional)
3) it's hydraulically braked, no air brakes
4) it's only 8' wide and not 8 1/2' wide. (not a huge deal since it is a nice floorplan)

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
I tend to agree with Steve. The "might need brake work" could be very expensive IMO. Plus not being used for three years could mean a lot of the "house" systems will need repair.

Might be worth checking this thread and having a RV Tech check it over.

Pre-purchase Inspection Reveals $30k in Hidden Defects

Best of luck in your decision.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmm.. A diesel pusher for under $20k.
Watch out on this one. I like the Safari magic bed thing, but I know to watch out for those early GM diesels and associated chassis issues. I found one post about them:

The transmission is likely an Allison FOUR speed automatic with a GM diesel that was used in pickups. End result, was overheating, vaporizing the sump oil and boiling out the radiator. On the road the vehicle would fishtail and weave due to inadequate suspension.
Do not take that as gold. There is a Safari owners forum and they do have a following - ask the guys that know what is required and the details on that particular coach. I don't necessarily it's a good deal.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
just found this on craigslist... only 20 miles from my home.
Safari 36 ft diesel REDUCED Again
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I like the Safari magic bed thing, but I know to watch out for those early GM diesels and associated chassis issues.
There is a Safari owners forum and they do have a following - ask the guys that know what is required and the details on that particular coach.
cb1000rider & wfcentral
1.) Safari diesel pushers don't have the "magic bed thing", (only "Safari Treks" have the "Electro Magic Bed").
2.) Safari DPs have either a Cummins or a Caterpillar engine, ("Safari Treks" I have either Izusu or GM engines in the front).

The 2 Yahoo Safari groups are:
SafariCoahes: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SafariCoaches/info
Safarifriends: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Safarifriends/info

'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #6

Being a Cummins Diesel Engine Company retiree I say the engine will well out last the RV! Now for the 250 hp engine you won't have a lot of power in a 36 ft coach but it will have plenty of torque to get you anyplace you want to go just not real fast IMHO!

Semper Fi, Steve
SteveL1948 is offline   Reply With Quote