Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Safari - Tell all

Please tell me everything you know about Safari Motor Homes

I am looking at one, thinking of the move to a diesel pusher.

It is a 2000 Safari Zanzibar, 39 foot, 2 slides, Cat engine. Only 39,000 miles and always garage stored. Some quick reads indicate aluminum walls and roof, which is appealing, not sure chassis think maybe Magnum? Not familiar with it though. Looking for the good, the bad and the ugly.....if any.

As always appreciate the help.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

What all do you want to know? What suspension does it have? Safari used 3 different types during this period. If you have the “Velvet Ride”, you need to research the issues related to Safari’s use of the Torsilastic suspension. The issues are not insurmountable, but be aware of them. I know of no particular problems with the air suspension. I have the “Elipti-Ride” suspension, which is simple leaf spring and shocks, and works fine. My coach has aluminum sides, but fiberglass roof and end caps. After almost 20 years, the paint still looks great. I’m not sure which Safaris used fiberglass exterior. A 2000 model year would have been built by SMC, before the sale to Monaco. I consider that a good thing. Overall, I think Safari is a great coach. No doubt other Safari owners will be along shortly.

Wayne

On edit: You may also want to check out the couple of Safari discussion boards on Yahoo Groups, as well as the Safari International web site, for answers to specific questions and more general information.
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post

I am looking at one, thinking of the move to a diesel pusher.

It is a 2000 Safari Zanzibar, 39 foot, 2 slides, Cat engine. Only 39,000 miles and always garage stored. Some quick reads indicate aluminum walls and roof, which is appealing, not sure chassis think maybe Magnum? Not familiar with it though. Looking for the good, the bad and the ugly.....if any.

I know very little about Safari coaches. I know they have SMC Magnum Chassis. My Beaver has a 10 air bag SMC Magnum Chassis. It rides very nice. Big trucks passing don't faze it a bit. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

I have a 96 sarengeti we have the velvet ride which it is not, but it works they are well built with hardwood cabinetry we love ours the floor plan on ours works really well even with no slides and I don't have to fool with def in the engine we don't have air brakes we got hydraulic which work good. To each his on but we really like ours. Just check out and go for it. Good luck
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

I have the 2001 version of the Zanzibar with about 78,000 miles on it. As with all rvs, stay on top of the roof seals to prevent water leaks. These units are solid built. The cat engine is very reliable. Because it is an older unit, the ac units will probably need replaced at some point. Which mural do you have? I get comments all the time about mine. No it is not air ride, but the velvet ride is pretty good and you don't have to worry about the compressor or air leaks. The electronic assist brakes have a different feel to them, but rest assured they work good. Monaco has been good with parts or technical advice when needed.
zanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have the 2004 Safari Zanzibar .. made by Monaco. Don't see many Safari's on the road - at least not in the Eastern part of USA. I Like my Safari, but mine is basically a Monaco with the Safari label.

If it is what you like, go for it. Most of the RV components, engine and transmission are the same as on any coach. The suspension/frame/chassis might be different but that is about it.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
And I have a 2006 Safari Cheetah, mostly Monaco by then. Love this coach, side entry, 40', 3 slides, 350 Cat, 6-speed Alison, air ride & brakes, Roadmaster chassis, big one piece windshield, cute wife (I added that, it's an option)
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #8

I had a 1997 Safari Sahara and we loved it. Solid as a rock. The CAT 3126b was great. Quality coach with centralized plumbing shutoff controls and quality hardwood cabinetry. The aluminum skin gets HOT and the insulation was poor (the walls would get hot). Not a great coach for west Texas. But it was fun.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Chassis concern

have read that they made their own chassis on these models and wonder if that will be an issue for part availability down the road. I guess components are from other manufacturers and they literally built the chassis but not sure. Does anyone know what transmission is in them, I hope Allison but again not sure.

Looking at another national gasser too, many years newer and am very familiar with them, so decision is essentially older diesel vs newer gasser. Still working so just weekending and occasional weeks so gas vs diesel not a slam dunk for me.

Thanks again for any inputs
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Safari Magnum chassis was built by Safari Motor Coach (SMC). I have a Magnum chassis on my coach because Beaver was owned by Safari for awhile. I do not have a problem finding parts. All three axles are made by Dana, they are still in business. Steering gear is TRW, engine by CAT. Allison transmission. My point is that all are still in business. The steel chassis that holds everything together is just not made anymore. Parts are available from Monaco and Beaver Coach Sales for the chassis.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
trode
For "Safari specific information" I suggest you Google "safari rv forums"...(and see RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs on the RV Ratings Guide for motorhomes, fifth wheels, trailers, toy haulers.)
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #12

It will have an Allison transmission, probably a 3060. There are sources for pretty much any part you might need to replace. Does the one you’re looking at have the original documentation? With mine, I got a substantial satchel with all the original documentation for that specific coach and it is very thorough. It even includes sheets with manufacturer, model number, and serial number for most of the major components, both chassis and house. The Safari on-line groups will provide as much support as you are likely to need.

The Magnum is a good chassis. I’ve heard that Monaco bought SMC in order to get access to the Magnum chassis, which they then incorporated into some of their other product lines.

If the coach has been properly maintained, it should give you good service for a long time.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote