Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

Safari Trek

So we went to the Florida Keys for the week. Camped right on the ocean at Long Key S.P. Had a good time, saw the sights and relaxed. Before we left, Lynda tells me that the neighbor had a for sale sign in the window of his Trek. She is interested so I guess WE are interested. She likes the magic bed idea. She does not like permanent beds and the space they take up. Just wondered if anyone here has any opinions, experience that they could offer about Treks. They seem to be a well done coach with good quality and design. He states that he gets 10 mpg. If that is true, I would be happy.

The coach in question is a 2003 Safari Trek, model 2610. Has 46,000 miles and according to the owner it has every option available at the time. Has new tires, freshly sealed roof (Eternabond) full body paint and has been stored inside for it's whole life. Has 8.1 GM engine with allison trans. His asking price is $43,000. I think that is about 6 to 8 thousand high but I am not sure. He has all maintnance records and appears to be a very finicky owner. Everything looks to be in perfect shape. (From a cursory tour at the campground).Before I drive three hours to Ft. Lauderdale to look it over closely and test drive it, I was hoping to have some info and opinions from the experts here.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Bob

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've a 1995 Trek 2830 6.5 TD for several years - lots of good use and enjoyment. They are unique and have quite a dedicated following. There is a fantastic web site dedicated to them. Great folks there and a HUGE amount of info on the web site and tribal knowledge that is readily shared via the forums.

http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/portal_content.asp
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Truth be know it is really worth about $20,000 per NADA. They may want $43000, but it is not worth but 1/2 of that. Call a bank and see what they show it is worth.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

We had a 2000 Trek for several years, Chevy engine, pretty good ride, but was very wind sensitive. I joked that it was like driving a shoebox down the road. Overall, the only real problem was that it was built to be very, very light. So, ultimately, you will end up changing all the plastic ends of the drawer slides which split. Other than that and the wind sensitivity, no real problems or complaints.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Our last RV was the 2005 27ft. Trek on the Ford Chassis. Bought it new and LOVED it. Never had a moments problem with it. Test drove the Trek on the Chevy Chassis and could not believe the wandering it had. Salesman told me the chevys did that but if I added this and that it would correct it. We bought the New Trek on the Ford Chassis.
Every Option ? Home Theater Surround Sound? Maple Cabinets ( $7,500 upgrade) Four Door fridge ? Rear Mural Painting, $1,750 Uprade,? Full Stainless Mudflap ?
In Motion Satelite ? Batteries New ?
Complete Maintenance Records?
As mentioned above the NADA price is much lower.
I will say this , we went every where in the Trek, was easy to park, easy to drive on the Ford Chassis and the Bed was ideal . There is a Huge Trek Traks web site and the information offered there is worth joining.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

Bob,

I see you have already posted on Trek Tracks. Most Treks are on the Chevy / Workhorse chassis. We added a rear track bar to our '99 Trek (our second one), and it cured the tail wag. We still take it almost everywhere. We're at 159,000 Trekking miles and plan on many more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
... Test drove the Trek on the Chevy Chassis and could not believe the wandering it had. Salesman told me the chevys did that but if I added this and that it would correct it. We bought the New Trek on the Ford Chassis....
I will say this , we went every where in the Trek, was easy to park, easy to drive on the Ford Chassis and the Bed was ideal . There is a Huge Trek Traks web site and the information offered there is worth joining.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Trek owners seem to think their rigs are worth a bundle! I see lots of them listed for prices in the $40-$59k range, but i don't think they are getting many buyers at those prices. PPL Motorhomes has a 2003 29 footer listed as having actually sold for $24,500 in March, 2012. You can scan through their actual sales prince on their web site - see:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/cl...otor-homes.htm

I can see paying a premium for an older coach that is in primo condition, but [to me] that still means maybe $30k or so. However, I suspect the owner won't agree until it has been on the market for several months or a year.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #8

Had a '96 Trek 2830 w/the diesel. The Chevy/Workhorse chassis was one reason we got a coach w/a real chassis. After a 3 day drive it took me 3 more days to work the kinks out, and I dreaded the drive back. Some folks dropped $4-5k on chassis upgrades and claimed they got a great ride. I dropped a bunch more & got a full size coach instead.

That said, when parked the Trek is a fabulous rig w/the Magic Bed. Bed goes up & you have a full size living space. We loved the mid door setup so you entered into the middle of the space. Large enough bath for two butts at one time when needed (tho cramped then), and luxurious for one. The concept was great. We had the livability of a 35' rig in 28'. Just hated to drive it.