Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post

While I agree that it appears that the OP was spending more time than necessary in the left lane - especially given the relatively light traffic - I think it does beg the question of how soon it too soon to get over when you're driving in unfamiliar territory and know that you need to be positioned to "be left" very soon. I certainly try not to "camp" in the left lane - but I also hate avoiding the left lane - only to discover that it's actually just one lane breaking left and having to fight to "find or make a hole" in traffic in order to get over to the left at the last minute.
I understand your concern about being properly positioned for interstate splits but 2 signs indicated that both the middle and left lanes split to the left. I think he should've been in the middle, though then he would probably have been in a worse pickle. I reckon he should've been going slower. The Kia too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #16
The definition of a small car between two large trucks i traffic is called a "shock absorber "!

American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
Old 07-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Looks like there was culpability on several drivers part there.
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
Old 07-18-2016, 05:34 AM   #18
The way I see it is you are very lucky. Your reaction to the incident was way to slow. You verbally say whoa when you saw what happened but if you look at your speed indthe video your still on the go pedal and no brakes for a few seconds.
Spend way to much time in the left lane when at times you should not even be there. Two lanes were going to the left no need to be in the far left lane.
You make a comment in the video about if turning to 60 mph but from that point until the pickup truck lost it's load you are at the eadge of 70 mph.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
Old 07-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I'm glad it turned out okay. I'm in no position to monday morning QB anyone. I'm a safe driver, but far from perfect.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #20
I glad there was no blood and guts on the road, and you suffered only minor damage. I also have had slow reactions to problems 2 or 3 lengths ahead. I stay just under the average traffic speeds, and tend to keep right.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #21
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I'm glad it turned out okay. I'm in no position to monday morning QB anyone. I'm a safe driver, but far from perfect.
Agree 100%. I drive in the lane dictated by the perceived intelligence of those around me...I've camped the left lane before after 2 or 3 panic stops and cars crossing across 3 lanes to exit..at some point I say to myself I'm getting left and letting these idiots fight it out over there. Right? Wrong? who knows..
1995 BlueBird BMC 37
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1984 BlueBird Wanderlodge FC35RB-Sold
Old 07-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Well said!
05 Monaco, Signature 525 Hp Cummins
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 07-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Notwithstanding whether the OP is in the right or the wrong for driving in the passing lane, the Kia driver made a simple decision. He would rather be rear ended by a 22,000 lb truck than rear end another vehicle.
I am not a lawyer but have been in lawsuits before. It is my understanding that anytime you read end someone it is YOUR fault.

I agree, be safe out there. Drivers are stupid and will do exactly what you think they will not do. In fact you would swear they would never do that. Nope. No way they do that...

Oh, yeah, $80 and I have cameras on my vehicles now too!!!
'16 Bounder 35K - 5 Star Tune - Roadmaster RSSA
'16 Ford Focus - Blue Ox Avail towbar and baseplate - RViBrake2
Old 07-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #24
Rexhall Owners Group
Not drawing any conclusions, but

Speed limit on that section of road is 60 MPH. Dash cam shows speed at 68 just before the incident. Speed limit sign passed before incident. Max speed recorded was 75 MPH.

"Keep right except to pass" sign more than one minute before incident.

Passes vehicle after Keep Right Except to Pass sign and the travels over one minute in the left lane before being passed on the right (passing on right is legal in Ohio if 2 or more lanes in the same direction).

Primarily traveling in left lane, even when signage shows middle lane is part of I 271 after interchange.
Jim & Lin
Old 07-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #25
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I agree in Florida, the law is stay right except to pass-- of course no one pays attention to it.
Same here in Indiana. State law went into affect 1 year ago and nobody pays attention to it. I don't think I have ever see a cop write a ticket for it! I agree, the OP should not have been in the RH lane but people who have never driven a large heavy vehicle do stupid things in front or beside them and you can't fix stupid. I had a similar situation at low speed as I was on an exit ramp just south of Nashville, TN.
1998 National Seabreeze 1330 Limited Chevrolet P37 chassis 7.4 Vortec 2014 Jeep JKU Sport Toad
Me, Beautiful DW, sometimes kids & grandkids
Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #26
A little late now but it might have been a good idea to delete that dashcam footage.
03 Itasca Sunova, 8.1 Workhorse
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #27
I have my opinions here but I am staying out of this one.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #28
530ktm you are my hero.

2004 DutchStar DSDP3812, Cummins ISL 370Hp, Spartan MM Chassis, 2012 Jeep Liberty toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, FMCA #F451747
Closed Thread