Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
It is true the op could have also used the middle lane for the route he was taking.
The problem with that is the left lane is MUCH safer if you have ever been in that situation.
Cars from the right lane realize at the last second they are on the wrong HWY and swerve over to the now right lane at the last second.
Sometimes through the triangle as the freeways split.
I am guessing here, just guessing, that the OP has seen this many times also and did the correct thing.
I found the OP to have done a fantastic job not hitting cars that were cutting across out of control.
If he had not BEEN in the far left lane for safety, the incident would have ended much differently.
Exactly. Not speaking to the video, but just in general for the most part the right lane is a joke (at least in any populated area) as people have no clue how to merge, people try to merge 3 at a time bumper to bumper, and then you get the people cutting over 3 lanes to exit at the last second. Further left you get the safer you are. When you have been driving for a while (I don't mean years experience I mean minutes in a certain area) you get a quick feel for the level of crazy in the area..that dictates my lane choice..the more crazy the more left I get...don't really care what others think. I never, ever, ever!! follow somebody with junk piled in the back of their truck or trailer.

I do think it's funny that if the OP had been in the lane most are saying he should have been in there most likely would have been a serious wreck..he either would have plowed into the truck or ran people off the road as he swerved left to avoid the truck. No way to have more than 1-2 sec following distance in that situation as people are constantly cutting in front of you at arms length.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
...don't really care what others think. ......
I guess a comment would be a waste of my time...... (did I just comment?)

Old 07-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #59

If he was not speeding doing almost 70 in a 60 and was paying more attention it would have been a non issue no matter what lane you were in. In watching the video looking down the road as you should be you can see the junk coming out of the truck. At that moment I would have been off the go pedal and on the brakes. When I'm driving my rv I'm on island time very seldom over 62-63 mph.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
Old 07-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
If he was not speeding doing almost 70 in a 60 and was paying more attention it would have been a non issue no matter what lane you were in. In watching the video looking down the road as you should be you can see the junk coming out of the truck. At that moment I would have been off the go pedal and on the brakes. When I'm driving my rv I'm on island time very seldom over 62-63 mph.
X2...when I drive the MH in heavy traffic, or even on the open freeway for that matter, I drive it like I drive my Motorcycle and expect the unexpected. I drive at a speed that is safe for me(62-65) and those who don't like it can simply go around me. I stay in the middle lane if there is one to avoid all those people who are either too busy on their phones or just don't know how to merge onto a freeway. And I always leave a very safe following distance, but that is usually always consumed by that person who has to get in front of the MH even though traffic is moving at a snails pace. I think that overall MH drivers have way more courtesy when driving than most people in regular cars, so if going 62-65 on a freeway is a problem for them they can always go around me. But at least we'll be safe an can avoid issues like the OP posted.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #61

Seems like the OP was camped in the left lane

Well,
I didn't read all the responses but, this is what I thought too. There are different rules of lane use all across the U.S. but, to me, it makes more sense to ride in the slower lane(s) unless I see a big truck etc. merging onto the freeway just in front of me. Then, I move over to accommodate the truck. When safe, I move back to the slow lane.
I don't know if the OP would have had any better outcome by being in the slow lane or not. Things can happen in the slow lanes too.
Scott
Old 07-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #62

Remember: You may be the best driver in the world BUT, that makes everyone else worse than you!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #63

It is so much easier saying what you would do watching a video instead of actually being there. Yes, we all want to think we could do better, but in reality there is a moment of disbelief at what you are seeing followed by a couple of seconds to quickly reason out what is your best alternative. Given the situation at hand, I am impressed with how well everything went down.

Once you have had a situation like this you gain a lot more appreciation of what it takes to avoid making matters worse. (I survived a similar situation without physical damage through Salt Lake City. But, I still get nervous driving by that place.)

I am just glad to hear that everything seems to be OK with everyone and the RV in this situation. It will be interesting to see what the tires look like after another 3,000 miles. If nothing separates, then all is good.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Left lane for passing only...correct ? So if you doin the max speed limit in the next lane to the right.......they're shouldn't be anybody passing you on left. Is that what some are sayin ? Really !
Old 07-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Left lane for passing only...correct ? So if you doin the max speed limit in the next lane to the right.......they're shouldn't be anybody passing you on left. Is that what some are sayin ? Really !
Unless they're speeding over the limit. There are 'some' that do it believe it or not.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I would love to see a video of someone in the middle lane trying to keep a 4 second rule. Let's just say that they would be getting passed on the right and the left.
The Title has 'Safe following distance' in the thread, so, 1 second per 10' for Class A vehicle is relevant.

You don't need a video provided to you, just watch the big rigs. Some don't have governors and ,either, comply or not. Some have govenors and have no choice, BUT to comply. Those with governors will be the ones traveling slower than traffic and gaining the 'Safe following distance'; they will have more control when braking; and, they could be seen traveling in the lane just left of the right lane, often, because of on-ramp, off-ramp traffic. They will be the ones having traffic passing them on the left and the right.

And the obvious, OP's motorhome shares the same Class as the big rigs.

Rich

Old 07-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #67

If he had been in the middle lane he would have been traveling slower and hitting the truck would not have been an issue. Let's throw a curve ball into this game, notice the windshield wipers are on so there's either some sort of precipitation or the operator was completely unaware, staring at the GPS, rearview camera, dashcam monitor, etc.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
Let's throw a curve ball into this game, notice the windshield wipers are on so there's either some sort of precipitation or the operator was completely unaware, staring at the GPS, rearview camera, dashcam monitor, etc.
Interesting observation about the windshield wipers. I wondered about whether it was raining/misting or dry myself when I watched the video several times a couple of days ago.

It looks like the pavement was damp in a few places (as if it had rained recently) ... but I couldn't make out anything on the windshield ... nor did it appear that any of the traffic around him had their wipers on.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
The Title has 'Safe following distance' in the thread, so, 1 second per 10' for Class A vehicle is relevant.

You don't need a video provided to you, just watch the big rigs. Some don't have governors and ,either, comply or not. Some have govenors and have no choice, BUT to comply. Those with governors will be the ones traveling slower than traffic and gaining the 'Safe following distance'; they will have more control when braking; and, they could be seen traveling in the lane just left of the right lane, often, because of on-ramp, off-ramp traffic. They will be the ones having traffic passing them on the left and the right.

And the obvious, OP's motorhome shares the same Class as the big rigs.

Rich
Sorry, buts that not the legal destination of "Truck" as used in state and federal highway statues.
Trucks are consider commercial vehicles and RV are consider cars. A motor home is a passenger vehicle, not a truck. The truck designation implies commercial license plates, not passenger plates. I'm not aware of any state or Canadian providence that requires commercial plates on a motor home thats not in commercial use. I would have to say that unless specifically listed on a sign, a motor home would follow the car speed limit/lanes. When signage calls out vehicle wt., length, height, etc then yes, RV's being vehicles must compile. Cases of signage in rest areas for trucks and cars has lead to sign changes for RV/trailers in most states. But be advised Canada is different then here on these terms.
I wondered about driver awareness, watching the wipers swing, but thought there could be mist/drops that wasn't showing on dash cam. Makes me nuts when riding with someone that doesn't turn them off when not needed.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Well the Internet jury will need to come to a vedict soon.
This is page 7 and only now the wiper usage has been introduced into evidence. Should they have been on?
Just what was he watching?
Is that a television I hear????
I say just give him a warning.
A warning for posting video on a message board and thinking anything good can come of it!