Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Safe steer vs Tru center

Looking at getting one of these for our Endeavor. We are new to the rv life style. I think it would make coach easier for wife to drive. Your thoughts and opinions welcome.

The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used SteerSafe on my last 2 rigs. It's simple and fool proof.. Makes life a lot easier and driving less stressful. I wouldn't leave home without it

2012 Itasca Meridian 42E, Roadmaster Tow System, Unified Brakes on Toad
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. US Army Armor. Ret
Finhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a TruCenter. It's adjustable on the fly and lessens driver fatigue. I'm very happy with it.
Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I use Safe T Plus on my rig and it made a big difference but if I were to do it again I would probably go with the Tru Center because of the ability to trim it on the fly. A trim kit is available for the STP but it's >$500. Blue Ox had some problems with the solenoids on the Tru Center but I think they've been worked out now.

Good Luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Hi nwokhunter,
Consider putting the ability to re-center the device as you travel down the road as the top choice. I have a unit that I can re-center as I travel down the road. This feature is invaluable. Going cross country is much more enjoyable when one can recenter the steering aid.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
I went with a Steer Safe. Glad I did. It made a difference and now I'm not scared to death of a front blow out.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steer Safe is a well reguarded brand,, Gets lot of good reviews.

the Blue Ox Tru-Center is kind of a question.. Now, as it happens I have one, and the one I have TODAY is appears to be way better built than the one it replaced under warranty.

The major concern to me was the ability to make an adjustment if it's needed.

MOST of them you drive, note how much adjustment you need, crawl under with wrench and hammer, adjust, Test drive again, find out you adjusted the wrong way, go back under and adjust it the other way, and keep on till you get it right.

The Blue Ox product you push a button.

NOTE: The manual says to be parked when you push it nd then turn the wheel a bit to adjust then release (you have only 30 seconds to adjust)

I do mine "On teh fly" but you know those tv shows and movies where a Novice pilot takes a plane off auto-pilot and dang near looses it.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The Blue OX True Center Brochure says you can push the button while driving if the wind direction changes or the curve of the road changes,

I quote from the Blue Ox Brochure:
Convenient push-button activation. Few driving experiences are as unnerving as trying to stay in your lane when there’s a buffeting crosswind or uneven pavement. TruCenter works like a horizontally-mounted shock absorber. Just push and hold the button, adjust the wheel and let go of the button. The system applies the force needed to keep your motorhome on course. Driving becomes fun once again.
• Easy to adjust. When you need to create a new center position, such as if the winds change, simply push and hold the button, get situated in the lane, and let go of the button. The system works with your steering to get you back on track

Is this wrong?
Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Blue Ox TruCenter. Had problems with the first one (solenoid bracket broke) but the new one is working fine. I have a separate post with pics of the problem.

I do adjust mine as I drive down the road to compensate for wind and crown in the road.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Santa Claus brought us a Tru-Center at Xmas. We now have a bit over 3000 miles with it and continue to be impressed. Being able to adjust to re-center while under way is awesome. It has worked exactly as advertised. It really helped with driver fatigue. One thing we did notice that has not been mentioned is when you go around a corner the wheel returns to center, instead of you having to drive it back to center. Drives exactly like the car. Plus the benefit of helping to maintain control during a tire blow out makes it well worth the investment in our opinion.

Chuck & Mary
2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 SKQ
2008 Enclave Toad
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote