Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Safe T Plus

First trip after installing a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer on my 96 Vectra dp. I am quite impressed...We left Fargo in high wind warnings and drove in such conditions across Montana almost the whole way to Vegas. One handed steering the whole way. This ol girl now drives like a car!

mn.roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed one 3 weeks ago and only drove 300 miles since. I'm happy with it but my coach already handled fine. I installed mine more for the safety factor in case of a blowout. Good investment as far as I'm concerned.

2015, HR Ambassador 38DBT / 2006 Jeep TJ Towd
340 Cummins / Freightliner Chassis
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Installed mine last weekend along with the CHF the coach definently feels different(better). Taking it out this weekend for a short trip. End of May will be the test, as it will be tested on the open road for a longer period. So far I'm inpressed!
2012 Thor ACE. 29.1
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How much do these usually install for? Do these come standard on new (2016) coaches?
nehmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
Installed Cost of Safe T Plus

Just had my Safe T Plus installed at a dealer last month and have not had the first long trip yet. Installed cost is right at $1000. If you are mechanically handy and don't mind getting under the coach, I discussed with others who have bought on Ebay or elsewhere and the unit itself is around $500 and kit for the coach install another $60 plus. Dealer install time is 1-2 hours including the adjustment to make it track as you want it to. They are not standard equipment on any coach as far as I know.
Bob & Rita
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2010 Chevy Colorado toad
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PPL motor homes has them on sale now. You will need the Safe T Plus and the mounting kit. If you have any mechanical skills you shouldn't have any problems installing one yourself.

Search - PPL Motor Homes

Here is a video on how to install one.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #7
Installed a safe T Plus on my Mountain Aire last year. Easy install, getting it centered takes some effort, had it centered when I had the front end alignment checked. A definite improvement.
kwseeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Few things on install. Make sure you have a good breaker bar to break loose the chassis bolts (2). They were on real tight. Give yourself enough time to make adjustment. I took 3 trips to get mine adj right. Took me about an hour and 15 mins total. Install was another hour. My A C E is very low to ground and I'm not small so a little clostraphobic. On a 1-5 scale 1 being the easiest I think it's a 2.25 just because the bolts were so tight. CHF at same time was included in my time doing the ST+
2012 Thor ACE. 29.1
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:22 AM   #9
I agree that this is a relatively easy install. I installed it myself primarily because of scheduling reasons. It really improved the handling of the motorhome. My wife now feels comfortable driving it by herself. She didn't have this confidence before the install.
HappyCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Hey you guys with the Safe-T-Plus. If you want to be really impressed with it and even improve it's performance check this out. Hydraulic Steering Control - SuperSteer Trim Unit for Safe-T-Plus

It really helps, especially if you are on a crowned road or driving in a cross wind.
Monaco 2004 Signature 45' Castle IV Detroit 60
Towing 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
Tip for the DIY guy

I read all the time about folks installing the Safe T Plus then having to go out three or more times to get it centered. There are a couple of things which may help you.
Most guys set the steering wheel with the spokes level from side to side. In theory this should be correct. However how many of you may have noticed when traveling down a straight road the wheel is actually off a few degrees one way or the other. This really should be corrected by an alignment shop before installing the Safe T Plus. If not, when you install the unit set your steering wheel where it normally is when traveling down a straight flat road. This is the condition where the Safe T Plus should be at rest and not putting any pressure on the steering linkage causing the pull after installation. Lastly tighten all installation hardware then recheck the steering wheel to be sure you didn't move anything causing the steering linkage to be off center.
I installed mine last summer right in my front lawn. It took a maximum of 1/2 hour and when I roadtested it it tracked perfectly straight with no further adjustments needed. My steering wheel is very close to center but is off just a couple degrees. Had I set the wheel straight before tightening anything I would have had that dreaded pull.
$1000 dollars for the parts and installation is highway robbery IMO.
2002 Fleetwood Storm 30H on Workhorse P32 chassis 8.1 gas.
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
I am getting the Safe T Plus installed next week as well as the SuperSteer Bell Crank Idler Assembly.
I found in the research that I did that the Safe T Plus is mainly for the wheels road wandering and rut tracking in different conditions and that the SuperSteer is for the side play and steering play due to slack in the steering column.
Both parts installed will cost $1414.00
After 3 trips totaling 1200 miles the loose steering and wandering was my only complaint as of now.

2009 Winnebago Journey 34Y
350 Cummins / Allison 3000
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote