Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Agreed to taking care of all other potential issues first.

Went thru that process on my new coach and ended up with all the suspension/handling add ons, anyhow. And now I am happy with the way it rides and tracks down the road.

However, until you've experienced a front tire blowout on a larger vehicle, at highway speed, and the white knuckle experience of keeping it straight, you might not appreciate the benefit of SafeT+ or other centering device.

I justified it on the basis of being almost half of my insurance deductable, an easy number to surpass in a blowout.

2007 Adventurer 38T w/
sway & trac bars, Koni FSDs and SafeT+
2006 Jeep Liberty toad
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I chose the Steer Safe after my F53 experienced the infamous "Ford Heavy Duty Death Wobble" on an OHIO Interstate last August. Google the quote and read about the wobble.

My front end was, and is, in good alignment. Minimal wear on any front-end components. It still went into this violent wobble after hitting a dip in a bridge approach.

The only other adjustment I have done to prevent the wobble is to have the caster adjustment set to the spec max. Seems to be okay, but have only put about 450 miles on since last problem.

Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #17
As others have mentioned, the STP is not intended to cure problems. It is intended to enable you to control your coach in an emergency (tire blowout etc.).

Freightliner installs them on their big trucks just for that purpose according to Mike Cody at Camp Freightliner. If you ever had a front tire blow on a large vehicle you'll know what I'm talking about.
2012 Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Wrangler Toad
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #18
I am thinking a Henderson Tru-Trac rear bar would keep the tail from wagging the dog better, which could be causing your steering issues.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
safety plus

i had a
star Newmar diesel at first without
safety Plus and it blew all over the road when a strong side wind or truck passed. I then traded for a 40 foot Newmar Londonaire that had one already on it and it was wonderful about the crosswind or trucks. It would not move at all with big gusts of wind blowing from the side, or semis passing. I had two blowouts on that rig on the front tires and I had not a single bit of trouble, in fact except for the sound and feeling the tire rim chewing on the road I wouldnt even have noticed it, no wheel jerking or anything. I now have another Londonaire even heavier then the first, it does not have Safety Plus on it and the wind blows me around a lot, also trucks. With it being 6-7000 lbs heavier I thought it would be even better, but without the Safety Plus it does not do as well with winds and trucks passing. Sounds like a commercial but that is my experience. I think they are great.
medlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
Originally Posted by franklin View Post
I am considering adding Safe T Plus steering control to my 2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral to solve too much give in the steering. Anyone have experience with this item? Is this the way to go?
HR Neptune 2009 35SBD. I installed a safe T and I have to say I am not impressed, it can be very difficult to get it zeroed correctly and it does not help much with passing trucks. I just installed a steer safe and feel it is much more effective. I would take the safe T off I thought I could sell it to someone.

Boyle908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #21
Originally Posted by Boyle908 View Post
HR Neptune 2009 35SBD. I installed a safe T and I have to say I am not impressed, it can be very difficult to get it zeroed correctly and it does not help much with passing trucks. I just installed a steer safe and feel it is much more effective. I would take the safe T off I thought I could sell it to someone.

X2 that. Steer Safe is 400 lbs of pressure keeping the wheels straight with no adjustments needed by the driver. I dropped of the road last trip and got back on with no problems on a high bank. Thank God for that Steer Safe. Of course like many have said fix what is wrong first but adding a S. Safe is good insurance.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went with the Blue Ox True Center insted of the Safety-Plus, Frankly I think it's worth it. EVEN if you don't have any issues there is a tendency to "Rock" the wheel (you ever watch the tv shows, epically older pre-power steering ones, where the driver is constantly turning the wheel back and forth,, of course that car is not, usually, moving, but hey. That's what I mean by "Rock" the wheel)

The stablizers will even fight this tendency to a point. Makes it much easier to drive.

As to which brand.. As I said, I went with Blue OX.... Saftey Plus is also a very fine product,,, I'd not recommend either over the other.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote