Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

It is an "alignment problem", but it's one they caused when they installed the device. The steering wheel wasn't cocked before they did the Safe-T-Plus, right? It is entirely possible to pull the steering wheel a bit to one side or the other during installation. They need to work more carefully and follow the STP instructions better.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
I have a Bounder that is all over the road in winds etc.
Was considering adding one of these, when I noticed the other day that I already have one!

Since the coach is a 2000 model, and I'm not the original owner...not sure when this was installed.
My question: How long do they last? I need to do something to assist my handling issues...and maybe I just need to replace the one I have. But at the high cost, don't want to replace it if something else is wrong.

The steering tracks the road fine and otherwise handles fine, except in high winds. It makes it hard to drive that way.
Don't take this the wrong way, please. Are you sure what you are looking at is a Safe-T-Plus or the original steering dampener.
My P-32 chassis has a dampener which runs from the steering idler arm to the frame. It doesn't do the same job as the STP.
Lynn
Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #17

I installed it myself and got it to track straight on the 3rd time. Great improvement in handling. I suspect that CW did not road test it. CW's service department has difficulty sometimes telling the truth.
HappyCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, please. Are you sure what you are looking at is a Safe-T-Plus or the original steering dampener.
My P-32 chassis has a dampener which runs from the steering idler arm to the frame. It doesn't do the same job as the STP.
Lynn
I understand what you're saying. It does mount to the tie rod and would be the largest diameter steering stabilizer I have ever seen otherwise.
It bears another close lock. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:07 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper7 View Post
CW's service department has difficulty sometimes telling the truth.
+1

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevman View Post
I understand what you're saying. It does mount to the tie rod and would be the largest diameter steering stabilizer I have ever seen otherwise.
It bears another close lock. Thanks.
There are different sizes of SafeTPlus for different vehicle weights. Perhaps they put a small one on yours.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
There are different sizes of SafeTPlus for different vehicle weights. Perhaps they put a small one on yours.
What color is yours?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
What color is yours?
It's blue. I haven't crawled back under for a pic or further investigation..but it looks just like the model of Safe T Plus for my coach size. Maybe 6" in diameter.