Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Safe T Plus or another

I was thinking of installing a "Safe T Plus" steering actuator on my 2003, 33' F-53 chassis. The main reason is to keep from constantly making slight adjustments to the wheel. The RV drives and tracks fairly well now, but I need to keep both hands on the wheel. I am just looking for a "tighter" feel and more relaxed driving while on the thruway. My question for anyone that has this is will it accomplish what I am looking for? I will take the RV for a front wheel alignment prior to buying anything. Is there a better solution to what I want to do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #2

Well I put a safe-t-plus on and didn't like the tighter feel and took it off.

So my thought is you will probably like the new feel. It seemed to me to take a little more pressure on the wheel to turn it.

Russell

Old 05-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I put a Safe T Plus on, and am happy with it.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrizz1 View Post
I was thinking of installing a "Safe T Plus" steering actuator on my 2003, 33' F-53 chassis. The main reason is to keep from constantly making slight adjustments to the wheel. The RV drives and tracks fairly well now, but I need to keep both hands on the wheel. I am just looking for a "tighter" feel and more relaxed driving while on the thruway. My question for anyone that has this is will it accomplish what I am looking for? I will take the RV for a front wheel alignment prior to buying anything. Is there a better solution to what I want to do?
Have you determined if your steering gear has an adjustment for free play? A few of them do not, but most do. Unless your present alignment has toe-in considerably out-of-spec (toed out), alignment is unlikely to help your problem.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Old 05-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I will check for a free play adjustment. I thought I would have an alignment to get everything straight before installing the Safe T Plus or something else.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Count me among the Safe T Plus fans. I put one on my 40DP when it had only 6K miles on it and have loved it ever since. Really helped with the "road wander" you describe.

You're wise to check out other likely suspects first though so you're not slapping a Band Aid on some other problem which should be fixed first.

I took mine to two specialty alignment shops, my dealer, and a Freightliner Oasis shop before deciding to have one installed. Turns out I did have some slop in my steering gear too which was fixed first.

You might check with the folks at Henderson's Lineup in Grants Pass, Oregon. They did the work for me but they're great to work with over the phone as well I hear.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on the Safe T Plus, and I also had Hendersons install their Trim Unit which lets me adjust the centering on the fly, similar to the Trucenter. I had a Trucenter on my previous coach and I prefer the Safe T Plus which has a tighter feel to it, and more noticeable centering when I push the button.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you weighed, adjusted load and tire pressures accordingly? Has all steering and suspension components checked to ensure all is good? Only then go for aftermarket addons to improve handling. Typically a rear track bar makes the biggest single improvement. The CHF is easy and inexpensive to do, and typically provides noticeable improvement. Most of the steering stabilizer units typically provide more fore safety in case of a tire blowout, and to a lesser degree some steering improvement.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

On our F53 ( a 1999) I put on front and rear trac bars and the safe-t-plus. I thought is worked out fine and made driving much easier.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #10

I had a Safe-T-Plus installed at Hendersons Lineup along with other suspension improvements. I really like the feel of the Safe-T-Plus, and it provides return to center of the steering wheel after cornering making driving more pleasurable.

So another thumbs up for a Safe-T-Plus. Remember, some people think it's just a shock absorber for steering, but it's much more than that. Well worth the price.

Ken
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the Steer Safe, and like it.

SteerSafe.com | Superior Steering Control

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #12

I installed a Safe-T-Plus on my 38 ft DP primarily for blow out protection, BUT a major benefit was less tendency of the coach to wander at highway driving. A much tighter steering control, and I love the improvement.
I recommend Safe-T-Plus based upon my experience.