Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #1

Safe to just use ramps on one wheel on each side?

Hi, is it safe to use 2 single tire ramps on the rear of a DP, one on each inside tire only? thx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No, the duels work together to hold the weight of the coach. If you are only supporting on one tire on each side I'm betting that each tire will be supporting almost twice as much as it is designed for. Not a good idea.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume you are talking for an extended period. Regardless, that's not at all recommended as you effectively double the load on the supported tires since the other ones are suspended in mid air.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

There is dynamic loading and there is static loading and while it may not be recommended to drive at 90mph on just one tyre instead of two, that isn't the same thing as gently running one tyre up on a ramp that is wider than the tread width and leaving it for a few hours.

BTW I put the ramp under the outer tyre as it is more stable. Again, if the naysyers claim that will bend axles or do other terrible things, it comes down to the huge difference between static and dynamic loads and shocks and if that were the case every time you misjudged and ran over a curb or off the side of the tar, you would be writing off your axle. Doesn't happen so ...
Old 08-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #5

smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
There is dynamic loading and there is static loading and while it may not be recommended to drive at 90mph on just one tyre instead of two, that isn't the same thing as gently running one tyre up on a ramp that is wider than the tread width and leaving it for a few hours.

BTW I put the ramp under the outer tyre as it is more stable. Again, if the naysyers claim that will bend axles or do other terrible things, it comes down to the huge difference between static and dynamic loads and shocks and if that were the case every time you misjudged and ran over a curb or off the side of the tar, you would be writing off your axle. Doesn't happen so ...
That's how I see it. The official answer is and always will be that you are technically overloading the tire, but I rather doubt the static load of the vehicle on one tire would do any damage.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post

Naysayer is kind of strong. I'm not an expert and am assuming you are so I will bow to your experience that makes you sure that they won't bend an axle or the ramp and cause thousands in damage or an injury. Thanks for the benefit of your experience.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #7

Read what Michelin says about leveling RV's with dual tires on page 5.http://www.michelinrvtires.com/asset...ireArticle.pdf
Then make your own decision.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grthigpen View Post
Hi, is it safe to use 2 single tire ramps on the rear of a DP, one on each inside tire only? thx
Well Sir,
As you can see, there's varied answers. People can argue or, "discuss" the right or wrong way 'till the cows come home. This is one of those things that logically, the PRIMARY reason for duals, on any vehicle that comes from the factory with them is, because the chassis is intended to be loaded with enough weight to warrant the cost and effort to install them.

In the case of a D/P motor home, (without a tag), I'd say that 80-90% of them are running down the road, very close to the max GAWR of the rear. Some more, some less. With that being said, it means that all four wheels and tires are sharing the total weight back there. Now, cut that in 1/2.

One side is now supporting 1/2 the total weight of the rear. That's ok 'cause, those two are supposed to carry/support that weight.

Now, cut the amount of support in half but, DO NOT CUT THE WEIGHT IN HALF! You are now putting all that weight, intended for two wheels and tires, onto one wheel and tire. Now, is all that weight going to cause damage if you drive up on ONE SINGLE RAMP? Most likely not. Is it not good for it, YEP! When you picture what happens when you do that, one wheel and tire, the one with the ramp under it, is being compressed about twice as much as it would if both tires and wheels were on ramps.

And, the un-weighted tire and wheel, actually drops by quite a bit, below the surface contact point of the one that's doing all the supporting. What that means is, you're actually torqueing the end of that axle tube upwards because all the weight is at the outer-most point of support.

Now we could go on and on about it but, that's the story. You're simply not supporting the weight properly and, while it may not break or bend components right in front of you, you're still not doing what's best for the tires and wheels, suspension etc.

But the real point here is, WHY WOULD YOU DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE??? I mean, the answer is phenomenally simple, CARRY FOUR RAMPS! Yes, I know, there sometimes can be storage problems. But, in the photos below, you'll see the ramps I built a month or so ago and, based on their design, they store on top of themselves. That provides for using way less space. There's actually (5) ramps and, (4) large Jack blocks and, (2) front tire blocks, (which can also be used for any other position too but, I call them front blocks).

I may be fortunate to have that kind of space for that little lumber yard but, also, it's a priority for me. We often are in situations where lumber is needed. With the kind of weight I'm carrying back there, right close to 17,000 lbs., I wouldn't even dream of only putting one ramp on each side. I kind-a look at it this way, if I damage something, knowing that I could have prevented it, I'm the one who's got to fix it and, pay for whatever's needed for parts, simply because I was lazy. AIN'T HAPPENING!
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040420.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	105095   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040419.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	105096  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040421.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	105097   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040337.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	105098  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Read what Michelin says about leveling RV's with dual tires on page 5.http://www.michelinrvtires.com/asset...ireArticle.pdf
Then make your own decision.
Thanks for the injection of common sense!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
As you can see, there's varied answers. People can argue or, "discuss" the right or wrong way 'till the cows come home. This is one of those things that logically, the PRIMARY reason for duals, on any vehicle that comes from the factory with them is, because the chassis is intended to be loaded with enough weight to warrant the cost and effort to install them.

In the case of a D/P motor home, (without a tag), I'd say that 80-90% of them are running down the road, very close to the max GAWR of the rear. Some more, some less. With that being said, it means that all four wheels and tires are sharing the total weight back there. Now, cut that in 1/2.

One side is now supporting 1/2 the total weight of the rear. That's ok 'cause, those two are supposed to carry/support that weight.

Now, cut the amount of support in half but, DO NOT CUT THE WEIGHT IN HALF! You are now putting all that weight, intended for two wheels and tires, onto one wheel and tire. Now, is all that weight going to cause damage if you drive up on ONE SINGLE RAMP? Most likely not. Is it not good for it, YEP! When you picture what happens when you do that, one wheel and tire, the one with the ramp under it, is being compressed about twice as much as it would if both tires and wheels were on ramps.

And, the un-weighted tire and wheel, actually drops by quite a bit, below the surface contact point of the one that's doing all the supporting. What that means is, you're actually torqueing the end of that axle tube upwards because all the weight is at the outer-most point of support.

Now we could go on and on about it but, that's the story. You're simply not supporting the weight properly and, while it may not break or bend components right in front of you, you're still not doing what's best for the tires and wheels, suspension etc.

But the real point here is, WHY WOULD YOU DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE??? I mean, the answer is phenomenally simple, CARRY FOUR RAMPS! Yes, I know, there sometimes can be storage problems. But, in the photos below, you'll see the ramps I built a month or so ago and, based on their design, they store on top of themselves. That provides for using way less space. There's actually (5) ramps and, (4) large Jack blocks and, (2) front tire blocks, (which can also be used for any other position too but, I call them front blocks).

I may be fortunate to have that kind of space for that little lumber yard but, also, it's a priority for me. We often are in situations where lumber is needed. With the kind of weight I'm carrying back there, right close to 17,000 lbs., I wouldn't even dream of only putting one ramp on each side. I kind-a look at it this way, if I damage something, knowing that I could have prevented it, I'm the one who's got to fix it and, pay for whatever's needed for parts, simply because I was lazy. AIN'T HAPPENING!
Scott
More common sense. I love this forum.