Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by myliladog View Post
YES I live in Oregon and there is no sales tax at all allot of friends in the states come to Oregon to purchase a motor home there is a fantastic dealer in Junction city that I have dealt with the last 25 years 4 motor homes. I might be able to help you with a address in Oregon also good luck
So where do you register it? I have bought out of state before but still have to pay st when I register it in Il.because that is my state of residence. Will Oregon allow you to plate it if you live out of state?

Thanks
pointrow
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In WA we only pay the use tax on the difference if traded, still cost us a bunch!
I've done that on cars in state, but does that still apply if we trade in our WA registered MH on a new one purchased in Oregon? We would of course register the new one in WA as well.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
In AZ no sales tax between private parties😎

Same in NV but it must be registered here.

Rich
Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #18

When I bought my Monaco Monarch I explored all of the ways to beat the sales tax. The fact is I am still a resident of CA and my income is in CA, so I just paid the tax. In CA, vehicle registration, gas tax, etc etc is so much higher than other states, it just gets old forking out the cash. And believe me I would move in a heartbeat, once retired, but can't convince the DW to move away from grandkids!
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
So where do you register it? I have bought out of state before but still have to pay st when I register it in Il.because that is my state of residence. Will Oregon allow you to plate it if you live out of state?

Thanks
pointrow
Be careful with that line of thought. If you are still a resident of IL and don't register it there and pay the taxes/fees and park it in your driveway with OR tags on it, your state will come after you for tax fraud. That would be really expensive.
States are really cracking down on this behavior.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Suck it up, pay the tax and don't worry about it in the future. If you get pulled over and the Officer notices, which they will, that you have tags from one state on your Toad and one from another state on the RV, you'll have some explaining to do. I'll bet that you won't talk your way out of it!
When I bought the rig that I have now in Washington, the sales tax was over 15 grand. It hurt but it's done and I don't worry about getting caught and all the extra tax and fines and fees that go along with it.
But then, it's your choice
Old 06-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
In Texas, you pay sales tax whether you buy from a dealer or private party because when you go to get your plates for the vehicle, you pay sales tax at that time if you didn't pay it through a dealer. I imagine other states do the same.
Also if you are handicapped in Texas and the coach is handicapped equipped you do not pay sales tax.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #22

Handicap exemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveht View Post
Also if you are handicapped in Texas and the coach is handicapped equipped you do not pay sales tax.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Since when does a handicap make one too poor to pay the tax?
By the way here in Ontario tax is 13%, booze costs at least 2x as much, and gas is almost double so don't feel so bad.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Since when does a handicap make one too poor to pay the tax?
By the way here in Ontario tax is 13%, booze costs at least 2x as much, and gas is almost double so don't feel so bad.

Wonder if we will have that to look fwd to w/OBC
Old 06-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #24

Quote:
YES I live in Oregon and there is no sales tax at all allot of friends in the states come to Oregon to purchase a motor home there is a fantastic dealer in Junction city that I have dealt with the last 25 years 4 motor homes. I might be able to help you with a address in Oregon also good luck
Hasn't Oregon been watching that closely to see that it doesn't happen like it used to?

About 10-years ago, I remember a woman being convicted in a fraudulent scheme to help out-of-state motorhome purchasers avoid their state sales tax by giving them an address in Oregon in which to register their motorhome.

I have the article in my files somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: it's attached below
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oregon RV Registration Fraud.pdf (4.0 KB, 46 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Unless you live in one of those states that does not have sales tax, you will pay the sales tax. You can look into the Montana LLC, but if you plan on still living in your current state then you are more than like SOL (slightly out of luck) with the Montana LLC.

Be glad you don't live in Puerto Rico which just raised its sales tax to 10.25%.
WA isn't far behind with it's 9.8% sales/use tax in some areas!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Not legally!
Dealer ?
Guaranty
Country Coach
Premier
Old 06-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky68D View Post
I've done that on cars in state, but does that still apply if we trade in our WA registered MH on a new one purchased in Oregon? We would of course register the new one in WA as well.
Yep, traded in our 2002 Dutch Star on the 2009 Magna, use tax was well over $20,000 alone and that was just on the difference. Wish there had been some way to legally avoid it but there isn't.
We delt with Premier RV in Junction City OR and paid the use tax in WA when we registered the Magna. The license tags were only about $150 as I remember.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #28

When we lived in Elizabeth CO and unincorporated Elbert county the tax was only 3.5%. However, the lic plate was still $1100.00.
This saved us a lot but unless you have property in an unincorporated county it's probably not much help.
Ruddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale