Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
And don't forget that wonderful property tax that goes up every year.

Here in NY our property taxes are meant to fund our schools. So they instituted the lottery to be used to help reduce our school taxes which resulted in...you guessed it, increased school taxes.

Mobil homes or trailers are also subject to sales tax in most states. Either they will be personal property, because they can be moved, and subject to sales tax or they will be real property and subject to real estate taxes. Looks like they get us staying or going.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:56 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Iowa is tough on the sales tax and aggressively goes after the coach owners, they walk around while tailing and look for odd out of state plates, for example at an Iowa vs Minnesota football game they don't expect to see Montana plates.

Iowa getting tough on recreational vehicle fees | TheGazette

pmgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
Mass uses book value not necessarily the selling price..

Jim
WA even goes so far as to employ a valuation service. If they think your bill of sale is incorrect they'll get one from the service. And you can bet it's in favor of the state!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 AM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Just some points to clarify what has been posted. A Montana LLC is NOT a corporation. There is a very large distinction between the two from both a tax and a legal perspective. An LLC is an asset protection entity and is not a business just because it is an LLC. We have clients who have even put their personal residences into an LLC to protect themselves from the TV lawyers you see all the time. The LLC does work to protect other assets providing the LLC is structured correctly.

Second point is that you do not necessarily have to be a full timer to use the Montana LLC. It can be done legally but it does require some research and some strict adherence to the letter of the law. For example, let's say that your state requires any vehicle that is in the state for more than 30 consecutive days to be registered and licensed in your state. So every 29 days you drive to the next state over and fill up with fuel using your credit card so you can document the trip. You have technically complied with the law and your vehicle does not have to be registered in your state.

However, be prepared that if you do go that route you may have to defend yourself from the state tax auditors. The burden of proof is on the taxpayer which means that you have to prove that you complied with the law and the state does not have to prove you did not comply. It can be costly to defend yourself even though you are within the law.

I hope that helps to clarify things a bit.
As I remember reading an LLC is a Limited Liability Company under US tax code. That's also in WA laws.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
As I remember reading an LLC is a Limited Liability Company under US tax code. That's also in WA laws.

A Limited Liability Company is not necessarily a business. In tax terms an LLC can be what is called a disregarded entity or a tax nothing. If someone places their primary residence into an LLC then there is no federal tax filing to be done. The state may require a registration fee, but nothing would be required on the federal level.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #48

Prior to buying my MH, I sat down with my tax guy and attorney. I had explored the Montana LLC, South Dakota domicile, and taking delivery out of state, keeping it out of CA for a specific amount of time (I think it was 6 months) then registering in CA. Both advised me to pay the tax and sleep at night. Some used the analogy of a 800lb gorilla. That is the case. CA actually pays a bounty to you if you turn your neighbor in. You will eventually get a tax bill, and it is due and payable until you can prove them wrong. Since I live, and make my livelihood in CA, I paid. In the lot where I used to store my rig, I bet about 30% of them have out of state plates. The taxes here suck, but the weather is right!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
That's true; however, as soon as you take the mh back to your state that does have sales tax, you will have to pay then....so buying in Oregon does nothing for you unless you actually live in Oregon.

Ask me how I know this.

Ron

Ok Ron how you know that do tell

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Ok Ron how you know that do tell
It's really pretty simple. If you don't have a legal OR address you're not going to be able to register and get license plates in OR. As soon as you go to register the coach in your home state that charges a sales tax, they are going to want proof that you have paid at least that amount to some other state.

Since OR did not collect any sales tax, you are going to have to pay, and if you have waited too long, there will likely be late fees and penalties.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #51

I understand people wanting to save money but at the same time I don't like the people with the Montana plates that have circumvented the system and cheated their state out of the taxes that are used for so many different things. As far as I am concerned if you want an Rv suck it up and pay your fair share and quit cheating the system.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I understand people wanting to save money but at the same time I don't like the people with the Montana plates that have circumvented the system and cheated their state out of the taxes that are used for so many different things. As far as I am concerned if you want an Rv suck it up and pay your fair share and quit cheating the system.
Finally, we have a winner! I say if you dont want to pay the tax dont.
Just dont use the paved part of the road also.
Thank you.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:29 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Finally, we have a winner! I say if you dont want to pay the tax dont.
Just dont use the paved part of the road also.
Thank you.
Well, as I've said dozens of times for over ten years on this forum every time this subject comes up, a Montana LLC isn't for everybody. In fact, it's not for most RVers.

But there are some who can use them quite legitimately. They are not breaking any laws. They do not have to keep looking over their shoulders. They are not cheating anybody.

In my circumstance where I am a full time RVer and spend time in many states, I have no guilty conscience about cheating the state from which I hold a drivers' license. When I had a stick and brick house and lived in that state most of the time, yes, I registered my vehicles in that state, paid property taxes on multiple properties, and paid plenty in fuel taxes. Now that I spend very little time in that state and am constantly moving from state to state in an RV, I have no legal obligation to the state where I vote and use as my legal address, to pay any more taxes than I am legally obligated to pay. If I do revert back to spending the majority of the time in that state, I will again register my vehicles in that state.

Again, I am not cheating anybody nor doing anything illegal.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:54 AM   #54

I wonder if a Montana LLC would be a interim solution when changing your state of residence away from California but your not sure which state you'll be moving to.

So when you're moving from CA to say either Oregon, Idaho or even some other state with a 90 day ownership rule for use taxes. This could be better than taking out of state delivery for CA which would require keeping the coach out of the CA for a year which is a pain when visiting family in CA. This way you would only keep it out of the CA till you take up residence in your new state.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #55

This thread has made me feel much better living in Ontario. I thought we were overtaxed at 13% on purchase but it ends there other than 96$ a year for plates.
I guess it all washes evenly in the end as our taxes on booze and gas make up for property tax. Prefer our simple health care system as well as OBC seems to sound so complicated no one knows if they are coming or going. cheers
Old 06-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Suck it up, pay the tax and don't worry about it in the future. If you get pulled over and the Officer notices, which they will, that you have tags from one state on your Toad and one from another state on the RV, you'll have some explaining to do. I'll bet that you won't talk your way out of it!
When I bought the rig that I have now in Washington, the sales tax was over 15 grand. It hurt but it's done and I don't worry about getting caught and all the extra tax and fines and fees that go along with it.
But then, it's your choice
For over a year my MoHo had Washington plates and my Wrangler toad had Oregon plates (long story). Never even got a sideways glance from the law. But I wouldn't suggest doing it and now the Wrangler has Washington plates. And I coughed up the sales tax on both. Argh! Almost 9% here...

Tags
sale