Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #29

You've already made your decision, and you've received a LOT of good advice. Here's a little more for when you ARE ready to buy.

1) Don't accept the salesman's opinion on what the vehicles are worth, either the one you are looking at, or the one you may be trading in. Do your own research, and find out what they are going for elsewhere.

2) They may have been pissed off at you because they might have had a buyer already lined up for your trade-in. One that they knew exactly what they could sell it to him for.

3) No matter what you decide to pay, and on ANY paperwork you sign, clearly define your price, and whether it is the "initial purchase price" or the "out the door" price which includes sales tax, licensing, etc

4) Make sure that ANY offer or signed paperwork state in writing that the sale is contingent upon 3rd party inspection (not the dealership in question), both chassis AND coach.

5) Any and all deficiencies found in the inspections that the dealership agrees to fix MUST be stated IN WRITING, and be fixed PRIOR to the sale being completed (ie; the dealership getting the remainder of his money.

It's not that I distrust dealerships (well, I do based on experience, but that's neither here nor there) they have to make a living too, I just like the written, legally enforceable word, and the knowledge that comes from having a professional experienced unbiased inspection of anything I buy so that I know in advance exactly what I am purchasing.

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"They did not like that we turned down their first offer. They finally took10k off of price and offered us almost 20k above what we ow for our unit as a trade in. That is when we really backed off"

"We talked to our bank before we made the final decision"

"We told them we were just looking and were at least 1 1/2 years from buying."

Sorry if I am confused on this. If you were a year and a half from buying, and just looking, why was there any negotiations at all?

Why waste there time if you were just looking with no intent to buy?

Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
"They did not like that we turned down their first offer. They finally took10k off of price and offered us almost 20k above what we ow for our unit as a trade in. That is when we really backed off"

"We talked to our bank before we made the final decision"

"We told them we were just looking and were at least 1 1/2 years from buying."

Sorry if I am confused on this. If you were a year and a half from buying, and just looking, why was there any negotiations at all?

Why waste there time if you were just looking with no intent to buy?
I'm with you, Brian. I appreciate people not wasting my time, so I try to not waste theirs. Just looking and going in to the office for negotiations with offers and counter-offers are two different things.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, so you were looking for a dp and they tried to sell you gas?
Now that, is as they say, a horse of a different color.
I didn't get that part from to original post.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
So the op had the dealer make their first offer. They turned it down. The dealer made another offer and somehow that is aggressive sales tactics? No. It's called negotiations. Folks, there's something called a manufacturers retail suggested price or MSRP, we start there. We then negotiate and yes, the final price might be 2000.00 less than we started or it might be 70000.00 less. Depends on what the markup is. Why be offended at the dealers price? Are you offended by Fleetwood, Thor or Entegra for offering their product at what sometimes amounts to be a 40% markup? It's a starting point. I'll give you a little advise, if you are dealing with an aggressive, well run sales department and they let you walk out without buying.........you got their best price or really close to it. When someone is leaving my store, I make sure that if they are going to shop another dealer (which I assume they all are), they have a price from me that no other dealer is going to beat. We call it giving them a reason to come back. I doubt the unit is defective, I would chalk it up to a dealer wanting to sell a coach. Another tip, I can keep anything I want off of carfax and even have things removed and/or changed if I felt the need. No hocus pocus, just a phone call, don't rely on it, get it inspected.
We did not negotiate, we said no to first offer and went home. Got a call that they would come down but needed a large down payment, we said no. they kept it up and and we said no each time it was just not what we told them we really wanted. The last day they called us 7 times the last being a chewing out, which was not called for. We told them no from the beginning and they got aggressive, so we walked.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperj View Post
We did not negotiate, we said no to first offer and went home. Got a call that they would come down but needed a large down payment, we said no. they kept it up and and we said no each time it was just not what we told them we really wanted. The last day they called us 7 times the last being a chewing out, which was not called for. We told them no from the beginning and they got aggressive, so we walked.

Respectfully, to anybody that's ever made their living selling things, your statements make it sound like you were talking out of both sides of your mouth.
a. you negotiated price, negotiated trade-in, then
b. you are a year or two from buying

What you heard was frustration. You stole somebody's time and cost them income; you know, the stuff they use to feed their families.

I didn't read every post, so if that isn't what happened, mea culpa.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Second story far different from the original post.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How did they get your phone number??

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:41 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Respectfully, to anybody that's ever made their living selling things, your statements make it sound like you were talking out of both sides of your mouth.
a. you negotiated price, negotiated trade-in, then
b. you are a year or two from buying

What you heard was frustration. You stole somebody's time and cost them income; you know, the stuff they use to feed their families.

I didn't read every post, so if that isn't what happened, mea culpa.
It looks as though you may want to read all the posts first. I find the info given by the OP confusing at best but I didn't see anywhere that he negotiated a trade in.

I've purchased a few vehicles in my time and I can't recall after telling a salesman that I was only looking, that they continued to try and sell me. There might be a few minutes where they try and get a feel for what my desires are but it generally ends at that point. If you knew you weren't buying, why talk to the bank ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Salesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
It looks as though you may want to read all the posts first. I find the info given by the OP confusing at best but I didn't see anywhere that he negotiated a trade in.

"offered us almost 20k above what we ow for our unit as a trade in."
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
"offered us almost 20k above what we ow for our unit as a trade in."
Looks as though I may want to re-read all the posts!!!!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
It is amazing how the sentiment on many of these types of threads change.

First the OP posts a statement that makes us take their side against what seems to be an unfair system or business. We all rail at the unfariness of the situation and how poorly they were treated.

With a bit more digging and questions we find that the original statement did not fully explain the situation and subsequent questions and posts lead us down another path where the OP actually gets taken to task.

This is IRV2 Court.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
It is amazing how the sentiment on many of these types of threads change.

First the OP posts a statement that makes us take their side against what seems to be an unfair system or business. We all rail at the unfariness of the situation and how poorly they were treated.

With a bit more digging and questions we find that the original statement did not fully explain the situation and subsequent questions and posts lead us down another path where the OP actually gets taken to task

This is IRV2 Court.
This is still better than most television these days.
Loved the white flag above, classic, laugh out loud post.
But who and when do we sentence?
I'm in favor of a short term probation, with constant monitoring.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
This is still better than most television these days.
Loved the white flag above, classic, laugh out loud post.
But who and when do we sentence?
I'm in favor of a short term probation, with constant monitoring.
We're headed out for an extended weekend with family. My punishment will be to consume one less adult beverage than normal !!!

Tags
sale