Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
We went looking with no intent to buy until next year, we told the guy from the beginning when we walked in that we weren't buying and just wanted to look. BUT, I did want to know what the price would be. I had no idea whether it would be list, 10%, 20% discount or more. The salesman insisted that we sit and talk, so we did. We got the price, which was actually lower than we expected (but not low enough after reading these forums). We then saw what our $$$ could really buy. We said no to the offer, thanked the man for his time, and got up to leave. He said wait, left and came back with a better deal. We never counter offered, he really wasn't pushy, he just thought he might make a sale even though we said we weren't buying. We need to wait until spring for the finances to fall into place.

The guy was nice, helpful and took the second no as final. I don't think I wasted his time, as it was his choice to talk. Unfortunately, this place keeps all the units locked and you need a salesman to get in. Otherwise we would have looked on our own and asked about one or two.

You've got to start somewhere. How many people go and buy a unit on the first day they start looking? Not too many I hope. I don't think fact finding and looking are wastes of salesman's time. I do have an intent on buying, just not today. It sure wasn't a waste of my time as I learned a lot that day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #44

Jayco Owners Club
I know I've posted this before... but it always rings true and always makes me chuckle when I think about it....

Sampson killed 10,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass... and millions of dollars in sales are killed each day with the same weapon.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #45

I get from all this that OP's interest is/was genuine, and an exchange of information occurred which gives the prospective buyer food for thought, and prospective seller lead for follow up. I can see discussion in the realm of trades and arrangements to some extent if full disclosure of an info gathering mission is what we have going on. Likewise, while I personally would not give my phone # at that point, it's a good faith gesture by the OP, "We ARE going to buy something at the end of our research process."

Sounds like the the selling store either misinterpreted some of that, or IMO I also suspect that the store puts extreme pressure on its people to move product, and sitting and exchanging information put the sales force in a bad spot by not being able to close that day. Just my WAG.

I ordered my National RV Dolphin brand new and sight unseen. We had no qualms because the family run dealership had taken the time to answer questions, let us look at their products, and not hassle us as we considered a substantial transaction.

In the end, I bought a new coach from them, and I continue to patronize their store, refer people to them, and rely on their advice without concern about being milked in any way. "The Speed of Trust." And it's awesome.

I've also shopped places we had to get somewhat "direct" in telling them we were in the researching and consideration phase (car, appliance, whatever). As one poster said, once he tells them they are in that phase, the salesforce has no grounds to continue as if their time spent somehow becomes OP's obligation to reciprocate.

High pressure volume stores may not be ideal browsing locations unless the culture there is in tune with that concept.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #46

We spent two years looking and researching and were up front with every dealership we set foot on, that we were not ready to buy as we didn't know what we really wanted or needed. Every salesman we talked to seemed to respect that and just showed us the different models in hope that when we were ready we would come back to them. That's pretty much their job and they know every day will not be a sale, but helping someone may come back to them down the road.

We knew from IRV2 the discount on most MSRP's were in the 20%-30% range so we could always do the math and figure the high/low price of the MH. We never talked price or gave them our phone numbers in all that time, as all we wanted to do was check out all the brands, sizes, gas/diesel, and floor plans. It is also fairly easy to figure a high/low price for your trade in if you have one. There is absolutely no reason to talk price if you are a year and a half out from buying as a lot could change in that amount of time. We just kept a sheet with all the basic info to compare.

So from reading this thread from the beginning it would appear that for some reason, whether it was the OP or an over the top salesman the OP led them to believe that if the price was right on both sides, they may be ready to buy now. They can't call you if they don't have your phone number. You can't really blame them for calling you back until you tell them to stop, and if they continue just hang up or don't answer they will stop. But in reading everything here I can see why the dealer/salesman was frustrated too, as the story changed a little from as first posted.

When we were ready to buy it was then a very simple process as they knew we were ready and whoever had the best package, not just the price, would get our business. The best package also includes a dealership you feel you can trust before and after the sale to meet your needs.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree. It IS their jobs to show you the products. If everyone that asked me for a price or info on my company's products bought them, I'd be a bajilliionaire by now.

Last time I bought a car, the salesman actually brought up the topic and said it was his third sale that day, which was good because he just had four zero days in a row. He told me that everywhere that he worked it always averaged out. He gets the lookers and the buyers, but he just hopes to spread them out.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What bugs me the most is when these so called salespeople try to play their same games on everyone. Don't insult me, I'm walking around looking at expensive toys that all cost more than you make in years. We just purchased a new Tiffin in a business like way from a professional, who had a realistic and friendly manager.
We both felt we made a good deal.

Barry and Pat, RVM114
Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post

In the end, I bought a new coach from them, and I continue to patronize their store, refer people to them, and rely on their advice without concern about being milked in any way. "The Speed of Trust." And it's awesome.

Please name this wonderful dealer!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
go into it as a fun project and play with THEM...

you will
know what you want and
know what you can pay
so all you have to do is say no....
Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
We're headed out for an extended weekend with family. My punishment will be to consume one less adult beverage than normal !!!
Wow, that's a pretty harsh sentence!! Have a fun weekend.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Wow, that's a pretty harsh sentence!! Have a fun weekend.
i haven't been counting but I'm pretty sure I failed last night.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
i haven't been counting but I'm pretty sure I failed last night.
So what's the punishment now??
Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
So what's the punishment now??
Have to try again this weekend. I'll practice during the week.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale