Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Salesmen

We were looking at an 08 Allegro Bay, nice rig had almost everything we wanted. It is a year older than our 09 Winnebago Vista and mileage is close on both unit. They wanted us to buy it keep us on the looking for financing for 3 day. They did not like that we turned down their first offer. They finally took10k off of price and offered us almost 20k above what we ow for our unit as a trade in. That is when we really backed off, too anxious to sell us thi unit. Made us think something was wrong with it. Then the manager called us 2 hours later and tried to bully us into buying, really made us mad. k We will not be going back. Did we do this right.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only you will really know if it was right or not. You did what you felt was right and that's OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #3

Hi Pressure Sales Tactics, doesn't mean there was something wrong with the RV.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #4

Goes to show how much wiggle room dealers have in order to sell coaches. If they would all just stop trying to gouge everyone up front and put a respectable price on things it would be much easier on everyone. Even new coaches, you can automatically take off 25% to start with and most people know it. If you like the coach then you can always go back now that you know what they have offered.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #5

I would certainly get a cost comparison on both units ... like RVTrader for example and see what they're going for ... especially the private parties ... will at least give you a number to work with .... Dealers can get so creative with the way they put together their offers ... Increasing the value of the trade in is only a way to reduce the total price ... but makes you feel good about your trade .... simply work on what you believe to the a good "out the door" purchase price .... IMO (not a fan of dealerships ... especially high pressure ones)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

#1 - Kudos to you for having the intestinal fortitude to walk away from a deal.. that quality will serve you well in purchasing a new-to-you RV... It seems to me, buying an RV is a very personal/emotional out of body experience.. too many times people get caught up in-the-moment, only to regret not being able to see the trees thru the forest..

#2 - It would appear to me you are in the drivers seat on this deal.. should you decide to investigate more..

My suggestion.. If this particular RV has everything you're looking for and you like it.. DO NOT walk away from it just because of the salespeople involved.. As someone mentioned, now is the time to do your "due diligence"...

Research the various outlets to see if pricing is in line.. find out what you're trade is really worth.. find out what the Tiffin is worth.. if needed, speak with your banker.. get educated... Then, armed with that information, reach out to the sales guy and see if they will allow you to talk to the previous owner... maybe they can shed light on any potential problems.. then, after that conversation.. you are in an even better place to make the most informed decision..

Taking everything you've learned... come up with a purchase price you'd be willing to buy at.. then take 10% off that figure... give them that figure and then SHUT UP...

Any counter offer from them.. just say.. no thanks, that is the number we need to be at... who knows.. you may get an outstanding RV at an outstanding price..

Other than doing a little research.. you're really not out anything.. and if in your investigations.. you discover this is the right RV for you.. seems it would be a win/win.. if not, you'll be educated for the next one...

Good luck !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you don't feel good about a deal, don't do it. Simple. Give it some time and see what develops.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

when we were shopping for our coach we turned the dealer down 3 times on the price. The final offer came and that is when we found out it was a consignment sale and the seller was making the offers.. Over all they came down 21k and we sealed the deal.. We have had no major problems with this coach. it had 37k miles on it and now has 48k. We were not told up front that it was a consignment sale. That maybe something that a buyer should ask about.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

All your Red Flags are popping for a reason. If it looks like a duck! You did the right thing.
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Salesmen have one purpose it life. Sell. They do it for a good reason. The proceeds of their efforts feed their families.

Going with that there are several sales techniques that can be applied. Obviously the folks you are talking to are more agressive. The feeling must be that if they are persistent enough you will do a transaction with them. Nothing to do with you that is just their sales method. There is a car dealership that is very successful. Their method is to fire the lowest producing salesman each month. The dealership pays well so the salesmen are agressive and persistent.

As stated if the MH has what you want and is in a price range you are comfortable with you could consider making a deal. With the caveat you will have an independent tech do the due diligence at your expense.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think you made the right decision! The bullying was waay over the top!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've never done it and I have no idea it can be done but what about running it through Carfax ? That might expose some secrets. Ask up front how it is titled. Ask if it is a consignment. How many previous owners. Tire age ....... etc.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #13

you DO know that if i screw up my (car ,truck ,motorhome ) and i pay somebody to get it fixed IT NEVERSHOWS UP on carfax ,,dont ask me how i know
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The challenge I see is this:
You turned down the 1st price, then they lowered the price.
So you worry something is wrong with it.
If you wouldn't buy it because of the high price, then wouldn't buy it because they lowered the price, well that will make it very difficult to buy a rv.

I can only speak for myself here, (I am sure a few others are like me), getting them to lower the price is my main goal.

Tags
sale