Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Salt Free Portable Water Softener

Has anyone heard of or used a Portable Salt Free Water Softner from Filterwater Direct? we're curious as to whether we need to soften the fresh water or not. your input is appreciated.
Hwyman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
for drinking water we use one of the distiller units. It boils the water turns it to steam and then catches the water in a condenser takes about 6 hours to make a gallon but the water is very pure.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

I've seen many water softeners, including salt free. Since I'm traveling all over, all the time, some areas it's soft, other areas it hard. But I'm not in one area or the other long enough to make a difference in my life style. To me, and only me, those system's were a waste of money I could spend on fuel.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyman View Post
Has anyone heard of or used a Portable Salt Free Water Softner from Filterwater Direct?
It's a "descaler", not a water softener, that is, it doesn't remove dissolved minerals.

If you want a RV water softener, try an On-The-Go softener.

If you're concerned about too much salt (or other minerals) in your water, get an under sink Reverse Osmosis unit.
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you spend much time in the South West, you need a water softener. What most folks don't pay attention top is the scale that the hardwater causes to build up in the water heater and hot water fixtures. I always tell folks who complain about the hot water to get a gallon of white vinegar, drain a gallon of water out of the water heater, pour the vinegar in through the pressure/temperature relief valve connection and let it sit for an hour or two before draining. You'd be amazed at what comes out.

In the SW a softener isn't a luxury, but a necessity. We've been softening our water for the last 18 years and really enjoy not having the scale buildup around our fixtures and in the shower, not to mention the reduced water heater maintenance.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
for drinking water we use one of the distiller units. It boils the water turns it to steam and then catches the water in a condenser takes about 6 hours to make a gallon but the water is very pure.
That's one of the most dangerous things I have heard of in an RV!

Drinking distilled water will KILL you - half a gallon of the stuff can put you in a coma. It leaches the electrolytes from your body and makes you firstly very sick, and eventually puts you in a coma and in the worst cases, you die.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Please read. The Bottom Line:There is no compelling evidence that drinking distilled water is more harmful than drinking regular water* for most people. There is also no good evidence that drinking distilled water is better for your health than drinking regular water*. We obtain most nutrients from our food not water.Distilled water does not leach minerals from the body (neither does regular water). Although regular water may be a source of some mineral ions (which distilled water would lack), the source of nearly all essential minerals is food.There is no evidence that drinking distilled water flushes toxins out of your body (neither does regular water). Detoxification, as used to promote various health products and treatments, is a vague term with no precise definition of what is meant by 'toxins' or any evidence that demonstrates effectiveness. Another skeptical article.Distilled water is not "dead" nor does it have (or has it lost) some "vital force". These ideas are scientifically meaningless. All water molecules, whether from a distiller, a water tap, a rain cloud, or a pristine natural spring are exactly the same physically and chemically - there are just differences in the amount of contaminants the water might contain. But all water molecules (from any source and with any treatment) behave the same way in the body.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
All water molecules, whether from a distiller, a water tap, a rain cloud, or a pristine natural spring are exactly the same physically and chemically - there are just differences in the amount of contaminants the water might contain. But all water molecules (from any source and with any treatment) behave the same way in the body.
You're not saying that water filtration is bad, right?
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
It's a "descaler", not a water softener, that is, it doesn't remove dissolved minerals.

If you want a RV water softener, try an On-The-Go softener.

If you're concerned about too much salt (or other minerals) in your water, get an under sink Reverse Osmosis unit.
X2 on that. Just went through this in our new house and they are not Water Softeners just De-Scalers. Best way is to use a Salt Type Softener and ROS Filter to remove the solids.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

Well, I decided to spend a couple of hours researching this just so that I could write something 'educated' rather then 'gut reaction'

All the companies that make distillers debunk the 'myth' that drinking distilled water is bad for you - no surprise there.

There are some suspect web sites that claim you will die from swallowing a glass full.

I found a research paper that showed that 'rehydrating' with distilled water was beneficial.

I found a paper from a cancer doctor that used distilled water in his treatment regime.

I found a medical web site that warned against the 'continued and long term drinking' of distilled water.

I found a paper from the World Health Organization that showed actual studies with rats and people who were subject to long term consumption of distilled water..

"Results of experiments in human volunteers evaluated by researchers for the WHO report (1980) are in agreement with those reported in animal experiments.
Low-mineral water markedly: 1) increased diuresis (almost by 20%, on
average), body water volume, and serum sodium concentrations, 2) decreased
serum potassium concentration, and 3) increased the elimination of sodium,
potassium, chloride, calcium and magnesium ions from the body."

The effects on the animals (rats) wasn't very pleasant - you can read the paper here

In conclusion, a glass full after exercise has some possible benefits - long term use is not recommended - especially in women who may be prone to Osteoporosis.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all for your input. We are not so much concerned about the minerals etc. as in drinking the water, as we know that they are essential to effective hydration. However, we are concerned about reducing the calcium build up (scale) in our appliances especially the hot water ones. Is this product viable for this purpose is gthe true question.
Thanks again,
hwyman
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Urban legends everywhere.

All U.S. Navy ships, from 1910 until 1980 or so produced distilled water as their only source of drinking water while at sea. Sailors lived for months at a time without dying.

True "Reverse Osmosis" plants produce water equal in purity to distilled water and is produced commercially as drinking water in many parts of the world.

Also pleasure boats that will be offshore for a while use reverse osmosis units to produce fresh water from salt water. These units are small and could be used in a MH I guess. A small unit producing 5 -10 gal/hr runnin on 110 Volt would be a lot easier than distilling water on the stovetop.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
What does this have to do with the lead question? On the road it is impossible to do anything purest style. hwyman asked a simple question with good intentions. Please help him if you can. I am interested also. The salt softeners are so messy and maintenance needy. Besides, what happens to the backwash water that is full of salt?
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #14

[QUOTE=steveclv;1662760]That's one of the most dangerous things I have heard of in an RV!

Drinking distilled water will KILL you - half a gallon of the stuff can put you in a coma. It leaches the electrolytes from your body and makes you firstly very sick, and eventually puts you in a coma and in the worst cases, you die.[/QUOTE

So the US Navy is killing thousands of sailors a day. They use steam generated by the nuclear reactor on every submarine and aircraft carrier afloat. The US Carrier Carl Vinson was used off the coast of Haiti to pump over200,000 gals a day of fresh water during the earth quake relief. All done by evaporation and distilling.

Tags
water