Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My insurance will not entertain any type of coverage except minimum no fault on one of those. Most finance companies will not even look at financing one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #16

In Oregon the vehicle will always have a salvaged title, as it should. I don't care who repairs it or who inspects it, if it has that extensive damage any future owner should know. I don't know of any bank that would loan on a salvaged title vehicle, insurance on the other hand would be no problem, at least where I live. Cars here with salvaged title usually bring about half of what a clean titled vehicle bring, until they get around the 5k value. Just remember when you go to resale most people won't want anything to do with it.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for all the info very helpfull can buy at about 60 percent of value
see pictures of damage just parts runs like new
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w4.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	102725   Click image for larger version

Name:	workhorse.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	102726  

Old 08-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #18

I bought my 2008 simba safari from copart with a salvage title. I did a build thread on here about it. My father and I own a big truck salvage business so I have rebuilder license. It cost a whole total of are you ready for this huge figure $90 to get a salvage title changed to rebuilt. The problem you will have is finding a license rebuilder to do all the paper work and getting it inspected. There are places that will do it for a fee.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #19
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe all states differ on how they handle "salvage Titles". Check with your DMV to see what hoops you need to jump through to get it registered and get plates.

In Ohio, generally, the Insurance company will re-title a vehicle as "Salvage" HOWEVER, Anyone can do it, You could take a brand new car right off the lot and have it re-titled as Salvage. It will save you a few bucks on title and registrations, but you'll take a sever hit on re-sale value.

To register and get plates for a Salvage title, the vehicle must go to the Ohio Highway Patrol station where they do a safety inspection (lights and brakes) they also verify the VIN, and generally "is it safe to be on the road"

Once the OHP signs off, its back to the DMV for registration and plates. In Ohio, the vehicle will always have a "Salvage" title. You may have difficulty getting full coverage, check with your insurance agent. They may do a "stated Value"

You can get some good deals on Salvage titles if you know what to look for - The biggest impact will be resale value - a Salvage title will take a big hit. I've owned several cars with Salvage titles. My current TOAD, a 2001 Civic was bought as a repaired Salvage in 2002, 1/2 the cost of similar models without salvage.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #20

I just bought a salvage jeep to pull behind my salvage motorhome. It's a 05 wrangler that was hit in the right rear quarter. After fixing it I had a total of $6500 in it which is half what a lot wanted for one. Just remember that the little things will eat you alive so buy it cheap enough to cover unexpected cost and I do a majority of the work myself which saves big time. I have no problem insuring my rebuilt vehicles with full coverage. Heres a pic of my jeep after the rebuild.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #21

Kustom- when we were researching our potential salvage title RV I found that approx. 50% value is a good place to start for a price....depending on the work that was needed. I would have bought that coach with the salvage title even knowing I would take a hit on the other end when I went to sell it. The price makes this type of transaction very enticing.

Just check and double check with insurance. We could get liability insurance but not comprehensive. The insurers who at first told us it was not problem then later said they could not do it were talking about cars they insured. Apparently it is different with a motorhome for some reason.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
I bought my 2008 simba safari from copart with a salvage title. I did a build thread on here about it. My father and I own a big truck salvage business so I have rebuilder license. It cost a whole total of are you ready for this huge figure $90 to get a salvage title changed to rebuilt. The problem you will have is finding a license rebuilder to do all the paper work and getting it inspected. There are places that will do it for a fee.
In the Tri-State (Oh, Ky, In) if a car is salvaged (branded title), it makes no difference if it's been rebuilt other than the fact you couldn't get it safety inspected for licensing unless it has been rebuilt from total loss...it will always be "salvaged". As far as value, most new car dealers won't take a branded title. Those that do, would never offer more than 50% of a clean title trade in value.

If you see a branded, rebuilt, salvage, or whatever title, I would stay away from it. Even if you're not worried by what you might sell or trade it in for, I've seen cars made by welding the frames of two wrecked cars together then rebuilt from there. Nothing illegal about that as long as you get the salvage title, but I would worry about the rear of the car passing me on the expressway. Not worth it.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I wouldn't even entertain buying a vehicle with a salvaged title, unless it was going to be used on a farm or property where it would never be on the highway again.

Just too many issues that can pop up with registration and insurance. Even if you get a deal and fix the vehicle, it will be steal be a salvaged vehicle and difficult to sell. If a clear title is achieved, I'm sure a Carfax would still show a salvage.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #24

Salvage title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Personally, I wouldn't even entertain buying a vehicle with a salvaged title, unless it was going to be used on a farm or property where it would never be on the highway again.

Just too many issues that can pop up with registration and insurance. Even if you get a deal and fix the vehicle, it will be steal be a salvaged vehicle and difficult to sell. If a clear title is achieved, I'm sure a Carfax would still show a salvage.
For the last 25 years that's all I have driven is salvage titled cars and pickups. Rules are differant in each state. I went to Copart years ago, bid on a 92 Saab 9000, dented passenger door, a beautiful car, got it for $50. My friend at the auto body shop still can't believe it. My wife drove it for years, I even bought one for myself same year but stick shift, got it for $380. drove it, after I fixed the front end up, got it inspected by the state of Pa. what a great car.
If one can fix it himself, and has access to parts, it is worth it. But a motor home in my mind with busted up fibreglass is a horse of a differant color.
As for selling all those cars I had, no problem, I took good care of them and told the buyer it was a salvaged car and what I did to fix it up, sold everyone of them. My last was a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, it sat out at the end of my driveway for less than a day with a for sale sign, sold it right away, fellows daughter loves it, no problems!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
One other thing to consider: a salvage title is only issued if the insurance company has decided that it cannot be fixed or it costs more to fix than value. If it was simply fiberglass repair and paint it is strange that they would write it off. I would really look deeper at that coach.
Friend of ours took evasive action and wound up in the ditch. MH is valued at $40,000 and the ins co wants to total it since the repair bill is $44,000. Looks to be mainly cosmetic damage but it's an older Monaco and parts are pricey. Could have been the reason here too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Caveat Emptor is certainly in play here. If you pay a fair price then you did well. Determining that fair price may be very difficult. Has all the damage been assessed? Can you get insurance that you want or financing you may need?

By the way, in Indiana a vehicle with a salvage title cannot be driven. Once rebuild and cursorily inspected by police, it can get a rebuilt title. The rebuilt title stays with it forever. That necessarily reduces the value because of statements above. Doesn’t mean it is a bad vehicle and if it is the one you want, go for it.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #27

Always go and inspect the vehicle for yourself before bidding at salvage auction as pictures can be deceiving as there is always some hidden damage. I have no problem driving a rebuilt title vehicle, but I always buy them from the salvage auction myself and never buy a vehicle that's been killed only lightly wrecked. Sometimes I wonder why they get totaled as I have fixed then for not much money. As far as the MH the OP is looking at its gonna be expensive to fix cause of the amount of body and paint work. I would say 15-20K.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
i want to thank everyone for there great info we are going to pass on this one thanks john