Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
My sentiments too, only with Hankooks. Wouldn't own a Michelin on a wheelbarrow..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
Truck tires made in China.
bmurph44, you may have made your response of Samson being a truck tire made in China based on my use of "Samson USA." Yes, we all know that Samson is a Chinese tire but I did err when I referred to it as "Samson USA" in the post before yours. I should have used the correct title which is "GTC North America, Inc." or GTCNA which is a subsidiary of the Chinese-based Guizhou Tyre Company LTD. GTCNA is based in Canton Ohio and is the "north American" headquarters for Samson tires (click).

And although I too am old enough to remember the junky stuff that came from Japan after WWII in the 50s and 60s and witnessed the turn-around they made to at one time manufacture some of the highest quality cars and electronics known to the world, I hesitate purchasing things from China not only because the quantity of the junky-type stuff being made there coming here but also for the political reasons. I believe not only tires from China, but other items as well will continue to be of better quality as time goes on but as some others have said here, do we want to promote the flow of profit back to the PRC with their labor practices and a host of other political reasons?

So personally, I'm on the fence pertaining to buying Samson tires more for political reasons ...although I've heard such good things about Samson truck tires. My probable compromise for now is to purchase a tire from a Japanese (Toyo, Yokohama, Sumitomo, etc.) or South Korean (Hankook, Kumho) manufacturer which will cost less than a Michelin or Goodyear tire but will at least send profits back to one of our closer allies where political relations are not as strained.

But I'm not sure if my logic is way out of whack.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
If knowing that you spent 3x what I did on your tires makes you feel superior, well, OK, whatever.
Gee SilverBob, at what point in my comment did I imply that I felt superior to you or anyone? I thought I was commenting on my tire preference.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #18

today i went to a truck tire shop, the front desk guy strongly recommended samson. looked like they have sold/are selling a lot of them - another rv was in the bay to be mounted with samsons. he told me that michelin had 1.6m truck tires being recalled, but didn't explain in writing for what causes. he said a speculation is for the cracks.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
We're sticking with "quality tires", too. They just happen to say Samson on the sidewall. (You know the sidewall, that's where the cracks are on Michelins.)

I have no reason to believe that Samsons won't last the 7 or 8 years that motorhome tires are supposed to last. At that time, I'll replace them with another set, and put the savings in the gas tank.

If knowing that you spent 3x what I did on your tires makes you feel superior, well, OK, whatever.

Methinks 'ole Bob has Michelin envy!

Relax, Bob.

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Samson Tire information

Be happy people, RV'ing is fun!

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Methinks 'ole Bob has Michelin envy!

Relax, Bob.

Cheers!
Nope. Been there, had that done to me. Never again!