Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #1

Samson tire question

looking to replace 275/70/22.5 tires with Samson GL283A notices on Simple Tire site they have two models of the GL283A one is advanced Radial GL283A and the other is Radial GL283A need to know with one to order for my coach
Thanks for your input
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Neither one, they are poor quality Chinese tires. Wear poorly,
prone to blow outs.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #3

I came very close to getting the samsons and then went to a local dealer to get a price on install and balance. When i left i ended up getting Firestone from the dealer mounted and balanced cheaper than ordering online and paying the price for mount and balance.

You may check around and look for a truck tire store and not a car tire store.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Neither one, they are poor quality Chinese tires. Wear poorly,
prone to blow outs.

Mac are you basing your opinion on your own actual usage or some other factors? There have been several reports from iRV2 members within the past year that contradict your evaluation.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

Frank, my understanding (and this is only my own understanding) is that "Advance" is a sub-brand of Samson or their "budget" brand and that no matter if it is stamped "Samson" or "Advance," they are the same tire with the exact same specifications ...both are all-position (steer and drive), 5-rib, 16 ply, H-rated load range with all other specifications exactly the same. Call Simple Tire before you order to verify and confirm. I'm not positive I'm correct on this but was told once that they are the same by a tire dealer.

If it were me, I'd order the Advance.

Now, pertaining to Samson being susceptible to blow outs, I personally have never read of any blowouts with Samson tires. Not to say that they don't blow out ...that would be a ridiculous premise. But I've heard many more stories of Michelins blowing out though obviously, there are many more Michelins on the road. Samson is one of the better Chinese tires. As I mentioned in another thread today, Chinese tires are getting much better in quality and that is proven by how many are seen on steer positions on Class 8 trucks nowadays.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #6

I bought my Samson tires from a local dealer in Carson City that carries them. He told me that Simple Tire is confused. According to him and his distributor, there is only one series of GL283A.

Mine will be three years old in May and have just over 16,000 miles on them. I'm quite satisfied with these tires. Don't listen to the guys who have never owned them and continue to repeat unfounded rumors they heard from their wife's hairdresser's cousin's bartender somewhere over in Terre Haute. We're not in the 1970s anymore.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I actually started a thread asking about Chinese tires, and got many quality replies with useful information from folks that had actual experience with the tires.

And then there were the "cheap Chinese tire" responses from folks who had never used them.

Have yet to see even one "I used them, hated them, and would never use them again".

Interesting, to say the least.