Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Samson Tires

Does anybody here know of a Samson tire dealer in Washington or Oregon area? I'm needing a pair of 255/70R22.5's.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
A place that is not too far from the Tri-cities is Magic Wholesale Truck Tires in Umatilla. We have a friend who is an independent trucker and buys Samson tires for the value and gets them at Magic in Umatilla because of their service and prices.

Magic Wholesale Truck Tires | Hermiston Umatilla Oregon

I don't see that size on their price list (attached below) but I'm guessing that they could order them for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf magic pricelist.pdf (345.8 KB, 39 views)

Old 05-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Made in China.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #4

So are 95% of all other tires......
Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I put them on mine - Great ride and wear- Tons of Truckers have them and love them
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #6

The Michelin's on mine say Made in USA.

I won't buy tires, laminate wood flooring, dog food or drywall that's made in communist china.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
I put them on mine - Great ride and wear- Tons of Truckers have them and love them
those tires are very popular on heavy trucks.

i just flossy googled "samson rv tire blowout", amazingly no hits. partially because there are not many on rvs? but there are comments about bumpy ride experience.

when i googled "goodyear rv tire blowout" and "michelin rv tire blowout" separately, believe or not, tons of them.

there is another good thread talking about chinese tires, more on double coin, here "El-Cheapo" tires, any real-world experience?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #8

I've Got a set of 275/70R 22.5 Samson's on my 2008 Newmar Kountry Star. Ride like rocks. Want Michelins.

Regards

Rickmc & Moski
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3910, Caramel, Cummins 400 HP ISL
Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
A place that is not too far from the Tri-cities is Magic Wholesale Truck Tires in Umatilla. We have a friend who is an independent trucker and buys Samson tires for the value and gets them at Magic in Umatilla because of their service and prices.

I don't see that size on their price list (attached below) but I'm guessing that they could order them for you.
Thanks Theroc. I drove down to Umatilla today but the tire people were not in today. Got a phone number and will check tomorrow for price and availability. Thanks again.
DonL
Old 05-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Stopped in campingworld in wilsonville,or today and they had 4 in their lobby
Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Son-in-law and his dad put 4 tractor tires on the drive wheels of their farm tractor3 yrs ago. After 3 years- hard to tell any wear. His dad put a pair on the front steers of their camper/school bus. One tire didn't need any weights, the other a couple of ounces. Then put a set on their hay hauler Kenworth-similar install-very little weights needed. So far the money saved is really worth changing over to the Samson brand. Buy what you're comfortable with-I put a pair on our 5th wheel- they were about 12 lbs more each than the tires that came off. Were also a lot stiffer sidewall- but then we don't ride in the trailer going down the road.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #12

Thanks again for the information. We had Samson tires put on the steer axle. We've only driven about forty miles with them (back to the storage loat), but seemed to ride well with no noticable noise level over the Michelin XRVs. The steering felt a bit heavier. Will need a lot more miles to evaluate.

I decided on Samsons based on cost and user reviews. On the latter, I've learned to listen only to those who have actually tried a particular product. Once I decided on the brand I was having trouble finding a retail outlet. That's where your tip was a big help. Magic Tire in Umatilla is apparently owned by Krome Truck Repair in Hermiston (google/bing Krome Truck Repair to contact). The owner showed me several of his Krome Trucking tractors, all with Samsons. Appointment at noon, tires mounted with bead balance and out the door by 2:00. Looking forward to a long test drive.
Thanks again
DonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post

Old 05-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Good to hear, Don. Many are opposed to Samson, Double Coin, etc. but many are also impressed with the value they represent as they are substantially lower priced than Michelins and many do not see a significant degradation in ride quality.

Chinese manufacturers are now putting out much better quality tires than a few years ago and it's reflected in how many commercial trucks are now using them. At least they aren't disintegrating at the alarming rate they were at one time

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...d-quality-more

I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to take the plunge as I am really impressed with the Japanese and Korean tire quality but as the Chinese tires gain more prominence, I just may be looking at them at some point.

Would I prefer to buy a tire that is made in the U.S. by a U.S. company? ...sure, but even buying Goodyear, you're not assured at getting a tire that's made in North America.

Thanks for reporting back, Don.

Tags
tires