Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Samsung RF18 refrigerator

I am considering replacing my infamous norcold 1200 RLMSS fridge , I have seen this particular model mentioned (Samsung rf18). I have a 2005 Holliday Rambler scepter .may take it to Duncan rv (Elkhart In) . its a 300 mile (1 way) for me , I have been there before , and was very pleased with there service . any advice from others that have done this would be appreciated .
I asked Duncan if my 2000 watt inverter would run it on over night stops . the man said that it would , but it wouldn't like it , he said not to run the microwave at the same time , I always start the gen if im boondocking and want to microwave something . ANY advice would be appreciated .
tireman62075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #2

We have the Samsung 197, love it. We have went for 6 days boon-docking running the get set 2hr in the morning and 2hr in the evening with no problems. I did change out my inverter to the Magnum 2812 3 years ago and it have never been turn off, don't like to reset the clock on the microwave. We have 4 (6v batteries) that are 4 years old.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tireman, we're going on two years with our RF18. Your 2000W inverter will undoubtedly run it. It only uses 1.1A @ 120V or 132W. It averages somewhere around 10 Ah running off the batteries, so you will need a minimum of 4 6V batteries or their equivalent to run over night. Ours has not had any problems running off of the OEM Magnum MSW inverter.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A 2000w inverter has the capacity to readily power the refrigerator. As for powering it overnight, that depends on the condition and capacity of your battery bank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
LOVE our RF-18

We've made 4-7 hour trips with no problem. We don't boondock so I have no idea about overnights.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know that all RV refers can have problems, but remember, these residential refrigerators are not made to move/jostle around. My 18 month old Whirlpool cost me $800 already. I've had the Dometics & Norcolds in rough riding travel trailers for years & never had a failure.

I know this is anecdotal and lots folks have had good luck with their residential refers but just consider what residential really means.
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Residential fridges have been used in high end motorcoaches LONG before the NotSoCold 1200 series fridges were designed by the "engineers" at Norcold.

Will ALL residential fridges work in a motorcoach situation ----- Nope!

But there are a few to pick from that have been used extensively in motocoaches successfully for years.

My Samsung RF-197 has been working 24/7/365 since April 12, 2012 and continues to keep ALL food in the fridge really cold and ALL the food in the freezer really frozen. Something that the NotSoCold could not achieve no matter how much time and money I threw at it.

The Samsung is a million times better than that POC NotSoCold.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed this GE model, its factory equipment on some Fleetwood products. I figured if they use it, I can use it.
GE 15.5 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in Black-GTE16GTHBB - The Home Depot

No modifications for the replacement fit.

2 years later no issues. If you gave me a norcold... AKA NOCOLD Id call the police for you littering on my property .
We leave ours on from March to November I have no complaints, we have cold food and frozen food now.

DR4Film, your response is priceless, I'm still chuckling.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post

I installed this GE model, its factory equipment on some Fleetwood products. I figured if they use it, I can use it.
GE 15.5 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in Black-GTE16GTHBB - The Home Depot

No modifications for the replacement fit.
That model is an excellent choice for someone that wants to drop the fridge into the existing opening left by the NotSoCold.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

We have an RF-18 installed by the local mobile RV service company and they did a great job. The only modification was to remove the shelf below the Dometic that was already there. It fit almost perfectly in the slot. We have a Magnum 3kW MSW inverter and it runs just fine on that with no issues. We have run the microwave at the same time but I did that just as an exercise. We minimize the use of the microwave when on battery anyway. Cost us about $600 for removal and disposal of the old refer and the complete install of the new one.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #11

Jleamo1

I have just installed a GE fridge similar to yours.
I have a Xantrex 458 MSW inverter.
Have you run your GE on an inverter.

I'm hesitant to try mine on MSW until I know if it will cause any damage.

PS. We love the residential fridge.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We absolutely love our COLDD Samsung
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0624161551a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	140190  
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:29 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
Jleamo1

I have just installed a GE fridge similar to yours.
I have a Xantrex 458 MSW inverter.
Have you run your GE on an inverter.

I'm hesitant to try mine on MSW until I know if it will cause any damage.

PS. We love the residential fridge.
Ron, no issues with the MSW inverter running the model we have, I still have the original 2000 Watt Xantrex with Four 6 volt batteries. I was told the key is delicate electronics do not like MSW. I called Xantrex and was told their in inverter is a MSW but its a cleaner wave than others, so I ran with it. I also called GE but that was a waste of my time, they have no clue. When I saw it in a Fleetwood coach I figured they did their homework and it could handle the coach environment, just wasn't sure on the inverter. Xantrex told me to listen and see if it sounded different on inverter vs. shore power, if so it will shorten the lift of it. I hear no difference. If yours is like ours it only has a knob to set your temps, no digital computer display to be concerned with on MSW.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireman62075 View Post

I asked Duncan if my 2000 watt inverter would run it on over night stops . the man said that it would , but it wouldn't like it , he said not to run the microwave at the same time
On my 2009 Monaco Diplomat, there are two circuits wired from the Magnum 2000w inverter. One of those circuits is dedicated to the various home entertainment items (TV's, home theater, etc.) and the wall outlets. The other circuit is dedicated to the microwave oven. When my Samsung RF18 refrigerator was installed, the only available inverted power for the refrigerator was by extending the microwave circuit. I've operated both the RF18 AND the microwave simultaneously without tripping the circuit breaker on the inverter that feeds that circuit. I haven't observed any problem using both the refrigerator and the microwave.

As has been previously suggested, capacity and condition of your house batteries will likely be more of an issue than inverter capacity.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
refrigerator