Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
What an issue! I agree with all other post, there should be no "shelf" period! I would stay on top of the selling dealer till they found information to help your situation, in other words having no idea how to fix your problem is not acceptable. Find some one that does! Having owned several motor homes I have never seen or heard of this problem, unless as mentioned "some knuckle head put a trap vent in a vain attempt to block odor? Not common in the industry. Stay on the dealer IMHO. Good luck.

Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A picture would certainly help even if it is disgusting. You might be able to remove the toilet and make a ramp out of some plastic material such as a cutting board. Using some Plumbers Goop glue you may be able to build a slide.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
You need to prefill your tank with some fresh water AFTER dumping the tanks, about five gallons or so Use plenty of water with flushes. It really sounds like the "shelf" you are describing is the bottom of the tank. If the stuff hits a dry surface it will stick and cause you problems. With enough water all will flow well. Your dealer or a friendly rv neighbor should be able to show you this. Also you should not dump until you have about 3/4 of a tank if using gravity dump. With the macerator you can dump anytime BUT with plenty of liquid. If your toilet has multiple water settings try one of the higher ones so that you get a good bowl full of water with each flush.

Part of the rv learning curve...you are not the first new guy who didn't get good tank instructions from a dealer. AND only human waste and paper though that pump or you will hwve whole new learning experience on how to unplug the thing.
Happy Trails
06 Dynasty Countess III
07 Hummer H3///05 Suzi Thumper
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pre filling the tank as stated will solve your problem.

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
monacodude.....I had the same issue with a FLeetwood Terra, but worse. It ended being one of two issues as to why I sold it.

I brought home a fiber optic unit from work and probed the tank from the toilet side. Fleetwood used a tank with a shelf as you described. The main body of the drain tank was not under the toilet as in most designs. The tank had a shelf and the waste fell onto the shelf and was SUPPOSE to slide into the tank. Ours was such a problem, that it plugged the toilet 2 or 3 times a trip.

Here are a couple of things you can do. Remove the toilet and check the length of the pipe that goes down into the tank. If they made the pipe too long, it can deposit waste in a concentrated area. Cut the pipe so it just fits in the tank.

Mine was so bad that I cut a larger hole in the tank and added a "bell" toilet fitting (available at Home Depot) that opened up the size of hole in the tank. As the name indicates, the bell fitting expands the hole opening from a 3" to 4" opening. This gives you a 4" opening, but still uses the 3" toilet attachment.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #20
I own a 09 Safari Simba manufactured by Monaco. I purchased it from a previous owner. I gave the macerator one try, it didn't work very well and went to the stinky slinkey. My black tank is very shallow, maybe only 8" deep. So crap piles easly below the toilet if there is not a sufficient amount of water in the tank. For the first few months, I couldn't even get water to spray through the sanicon spray system, It must have been cloged from the previous owner not flushing the tank good enough. It has cleared up since, but sprays like a lawn sprinkler. It's ok for dumbing while using the MH, but not good enough for the final dumb prior to going back into storage. I have to do the water hose and spayer down the toilet to do a good cleaning. The 5er I owned before this HM had a sanicon sprayer that you could hear the water pressure pounding the sides of the tank, even with a pressure reducer attached.

One think I hate about my set up is, the plumbing below the toilet is kinda an "S" shape offset, so my 4" opening into the black tank is reduced to 2". Toilet paper get cloged easly, mostly when the women use too much paper. I have to keep a slim metal rod in the rest room to push the paper through when is gets cloged. Any one else have this problem?

I think the orignal post problem is that his sanicon spayer is just lousy, and does not rinse worth a crap!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don your idea of a chute sounds interesting. Instead of the waste going straight down maybe he can take a piece of pvc that just fits the hole opening. Decide how long it would need to be if curved. Place the pvc in an oven at 250 degrees for ten-20 minutes. Just enough to soften it. You can easily bend the pipe a lot. Onced cooled place it into the hole and glue it in place with the world famous Plumbers Goop. Any waste will go to the deep side of the pool.

My tank has a shallow shelf but the waste dumps into the deep end of the pond. I found that when leaning to that side if not level that it will fill the shallow end with liquid and block the vent which is on that end. This can cause some interesting gurgles coming up. This only happens when the tank is nearly full.

Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote