Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #1

Sanitizing "NEW" Fresh Water Tank

I have a Newmar Motor Home. Do I need to santize the fresh water tank now? If so, can someone please give me some directions on how to do it the first time and then how often it should be done?

Thank you for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the RV is brand new, the fresh tank should have been sanitized as part of the dealer prep. That said, here are several Youtube video links to sanitizing. sanitizing fresh water tank - YouTube

Good luck.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Do it yourself and do all the fresh water plumbing at the same time. Who knows how long it set after the dealer may have done it. That way you'll know it's done right. Just follow the directions on how to sanitize you water system. For more info google it.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #4

Your manual should have a section in it with instructions. Essentially, mine calls for 1/4 cup of bleach mixed per gallon of water.

Jim
Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
While your at it sanitize the whole water system including the hot water heater.
Congratulations on your Newmar many safe travels ahead.
In my signature below are three links that will relate to your Newmar.
Enjoy the forums and come and join us in the Newmar forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
And when you are done use bicarbonate of sodium/baking powder to clean out the taste. Having a problem with a new water tank I bought some RV tank taste improver, I then did a search for the MSDS sheet...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That rvgeeks video is excellent, as usual. They did not, however, mention the whole house filter and how to handle that. When I sanitize, I remove filter so it is not affected by the bleach, and then replace with a new one after I'm done.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
Your manual should have a section in it with instructions. Essentially, mine calls for 1/4 cup of bleach mixed per gallon of water.

Jim
I just watched the video..They say 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of fresh water.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #9

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
That rvgeeks video is excellent, as usual. They did not, however, mention the whole house filter and how to handle that. When I sanitize, I remove filter so it is not affected by the bleach, and then replace with a new one after I'm done.
HI Statgeek,

Not sure how the plumbing system is configured on your coach, but on our Newmar the whole house water filter is upstream from the point where the winterizing kit "injects" into the system... so the bleach doesn't flow backwards into the water filter.

Of course, removing the filter means you are 100% safe from it being "bleached" during the process... but again, in our Newmar, that's not an issue.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #10

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
I just watched the video..They say 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of fresh water.
Correct. That is what our Newmar manual states is the appropriate amount of bleach to use to sanitize the water system. Other manufacturers may recommend different amounts, so we always recommend that you check there first... since different coaches may use different materials for plumbing, tanks, etc. that could be affected by too much bleach.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVgeeks View Post
HI Statgeek,

Not sure how the plumbing system is configured on your coach, but on our Newmar the whole house water filter is upstream from the point where the winterizing kit "injects" into the system... so the bleach doesn't flow backwards into the water filter.

Of course, removing the filter means you are 100% safe from it being "bleached" during the process... but again, in our Newmar, that's not an issue.

Thanks!
hi rvgeeks, glad to know you are here. i have been following each and everyone of your videos in youtube, and learned a lot from you. really appreciate it!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
hi rvgeeks, glad to know you are here. i have been following each and everyone of your videos in youtube, and learned a lot from you. really appreciate it!
ditto!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #13

Commercial Member

@Countryfit & Statgeek,

Thanks so much! We're really glad that people are finding our videos useful!

We've recently started our own blog (HowToRVgeeks) with all of our old videos from Youtube. We'll be updating the blog with more videos and information as we can... so if you want to stay connected, you can subscribe to the blog to get updates when we post new stuff.

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
If the RV is brand new, the fresh tank should have been sanitized as part of the dealer prep.
Yes, it should, AND the dealer should have sent in the warranty/ownership registration cards for the TVs and Air conditioenrs, and Jacks, and Tires and the Motor Home itself and the Chassis and the_____. Which is why I have a funny story to tell about getting a recall done on my workhorse....

You see, the dealer did not send in the registration as they TOLD ME THEY WOULD.. So I had to do it myself.. And when I went to the Authorized Service place to scheule the job they ask if I had the part (Which arrived with the recall letter if you were registered,,, My Recall letter was an E-mail and it is kind of hard to attach parts to E-mail). I told 'em I did not have it and they said "We can not get the part that fast" I told 'em schedule the job and I'd get the part.

2 Weeks later I turned in the part, attached to a business card, For the National head of the Customer Service Dept. he had dropped the part off on his way home from work. You know I got great service from that center after that.

Based on this (And some other things) I would not say the dealer did it. I would (And did) go ahead and do it myself.

Recommendation: Not all "Sanatize" videos or instruciton files say to do this.

After you do the bleach and water (1/4 cup per fifteen gallons) on the first flush,, Add about half a cup to 1 cup of Baking soda.. This will clear out the remaining bleach and kill the taste of bleach.

Then a plain water flush

Then fill and use.

Or you could just park next to me and fill it with city water, They over chlorinate here.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water