Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
What quantity of hydrogen peroxide would you add to an 80 gallon water tank to sanitize it?

Thanks!

The rule of thumb for hydrogen peroxide is 1 oz of peroxide for each 10 gallons of water. It leaves no after taste at all. You would do the same as with the chlorine -- fill the tank with the required amount of water / peroxide mixture and let set for 24 hours after running all of the faucets in the MH to make sure that the mixture gets into all of your water lines. then drain the tanks and refill with water -- no need to flush out the peroxide mixture in the lines.

If you have an external water filter like I do, what I do to get the peroxide into the water tank is to take out the filter and pour the peroxide into the filter container, hook it up like I would to normally fill with water and turn it on and fill the water tank. As the water flows through the filter body, it will pick up the peroxide and mix with the water as it fills.

Like others have said there has to be drain valves. Where you see the lines coming out of the bottom of the coach, look in the compartment where the drain lines come from -- there may be small valves built into the lines inside the compartment -- usually white plastic valves. My main dump is a large 1 1/2 inch pipe and it has the same type of pull handle that you use to dump the black and grey tanks --- it is also located in the same compartment as the black and grey tank dump valves.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #16

I understand your frustration. I bought a used MH with no documentation whatsoever. I found several ads on craigslist of mobile services for RVs and located a technician that grew tired of the dealership scene and went out on his own. He spent several days with me helping and going over all the systems on the coach. Charged only $30/hr which is a far cry from the $115/hr that most dealers charge with no instructional value at all. This has proved invaluable. I was also able to find many of the manuals of the systems such as Atwood, Xantrex and Norcold. Good luck
jimjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
The canister water filter system is the easiest to apply the sanitizer, whether it be bleach or peroxide. However, addressing your problem of not knowing where the dump valves are, call the manufacturer directly and see if they have a site you can go to to download schematics, plumbing diagrams, etc. Then, at the first opportunity, print everything you can and put it in a binder. Winnebago has a bevy of techs ready to assist you in finding the info you need and directing you to the right places to get hard copies. I'm sure most of the other manufacturers do as well. GOOD RVin'!
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #18

Sourmug..
If you are still unsure/unable to find what's what, you can..
Get a small 1/12hp transfer pump with water hose connection that can be connected to fresh water intake hose/line.
1) Drain all tanks...
2)Put 3 gallons of antifreeze into bucket.. suck/pump it all into your fresh water tank via the "city or shore line fill hose inlet"
3) shut off hot water heater... drain tank..
4)) turn on - run each faucet and outlet (including exterior shower) until pink comes thru.... shut off
5) all tanks, lines, faucets, traps, etc now have antifreeze in them....

Tags
water