Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Satellite hook up

Hey folks,. I just got a 97 Monaco 40' acouple weeks ago. I have a KHV dish mounted on the roof that came with the MH. I'm a Dish Network subscriber and would like to get it hooked. I'm assuming it works. It's so said. There is power at the switch. I called Dish and they said that they do not install receivers in motorhomes. They said to call a RV dealer. I did in my area and got shot down. I live in the Waco TX area. How can I get my rig fixed...thanks!
koondawg2094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The satellite dish on the roof of my 2000 Newmar is considered obsolete and right now is just a giant paperweight. My goal is to have it replaced next year. Meanwhile I currently use a Dish Playmaker and if it wasn't for it's portability, I probably wouldn't have gotten satellite the last couple places I camped due to the heavy trees I was parked under. So maybe I don't want a satellite on the roof??
Old 06-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Dish made changes that obsoleted some dome units. First thing is to call KVH and see if your dish will still function with Dish. Then you can work on getting a receiver. I ordered mine from dishformyrv.com if I remember correctly. I think camping world also sells the receivers.

Steve
Old 06-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #4

I believe the kvh dish search programing is specific to either direct tv or dish network and some of the older equipment may not be supported. I had a kvh dome with direct tv and it worked great. We use direct tv at home and have another receiver for the motorhome. You will need the model number of your dish then post the question as to is it supported. If so then figure out if it is setup for dish or direct.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #5

Do they have direct tvreceivers, ya think?
Old 06-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

Thanks. Didn't know they was tuned to a specific networks receiver
Old 06-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #7

Recommend you purchase Carryout G2 antenna for your Dish reception and mount it yourself using existing coaxial. Did this myself without much difficulty.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on the model of KVH Dome it can be reprogramed to work with Dish or Direct TV. The catch is you have to have the programmer. I have one that I bought back in the day when I had a KVH Dome. Now as far as the Receiver, you can pick up a Dish Receiver at Camping World or most RV Dealers for around $100 but be very carful on which one you get. The latest ones only have HDMI inputs and outputs, you may need one that has RCA inputs and outputs. So check your system very very carefully.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:26 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you already have the dome installing a receiver is no harder than a cable box. Coax from the antenna, power, connecting to the TV and configuring the receiver but the first thing you have to do is work on setting up the antenna for your choice of service subscriber. Can't help with a KVH antenna but find the model number for what you have and call KVH. My Winegard antenna was pretty simple with dip switch settings.

Once you determine the antenna is compatible and you have chosen to establish an account with Dish it might be best to work with https://www.dishformyrv.com/. If you go straight to Dish don't mention that you're working this for an RV. Nothing illegal but it will complicate the issue since this will be something out of the ordinary and isn't covered by the script the person on the other end of the line has to work from.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #10

thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Recommend you purchase Carryout G2 antenna for your Dish reception and mount it yourself using existing coaxial. Did this myself without much difficulty.

After much difficulty I connected to my KVH in motion dome with a laptop (needed a serial connection) and did manage to get a signal on the TV one time. I got brave and updated the software and never got a signal again - there were some basic settings I should have kept/written down. According to their web site my dome is no longer supported and talking to them I shouldn't have gotten a signal in the first place.

Go with the G2, it can be set for any of Direct, Dish and in Canada Bell by moving the dip switches.
You can also easily move it if you are under trees. The newer G2+ has built in power so no separate line for the 12v. You can also have it roof mounted. Bonus, it finds the satellites by itself, just set it and forget it.

Chris

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #12

It is most likely not working or no longer supported by the manufacturer. As with all things electronic companies are constantly updating. I just put a Wineguard traveler on the roof, ran all new coax to the 3 tv's because I didn't like the factory arrangement with 1 receiver feeding 3 tv's. Now each tv has a receiver. You can even get wireless receivers as long as you have 1 hard wired to the dish. I also bought a dish on a tripod for times when the roof mount won't get signal. They are pretty easy to point after you do it once and only cost around $150 for a whole kit. I use direct tv but they are available for dish network and usually cheaper than direct tv. None of this stuff was difficult just time consuming and required some research. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The advice from others is probably right, but you need to be specific about the KVH dome model. Older ones are probably obsolete and may not be worth upgrading. I'm not using my KVH R4SL anymore, but hear that both it and the R5 & R6 are now considered "obsolete", but can be salvaged with some modifications.

Regular Dish and Direct satellite places rarely do RVs, and rarely are helpful if they do agree to "take a look at it". Rv dealers and shops usually know how to do it, but not always. As much as I dislike Camping World, they may be your most readily available source of help, but they will probably want to sell you all new stuff whether you really need it or not.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite