Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #1

Satellite, leave on or turn off?

When I am stationary for any length of time while I may leave my dish on much of any given day I usually turn it off at night because I guess for a pre programmed reason my receiver will go to sleep leaving the dish to every so often continue locking on to the satellite....you know the sound it makes. I believe that to be wear and tear for no reason so unless I plan on watching it within the hour or so, I kill the power to the dish as well as the receiver when I go to bed or leave my coach for the day....anyone leaving it on?

WDK

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

What dish? On my Winegard Travler once it has locked on, I unplug the control box until its time to stow it for travel.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
hi WillandJane,

My counrty star DP has a roof mount Dish as does yors and I turn mine off for the exact same reason.... otherwise it will from time to time relock and makes a whirring noise while moving... I agree seems to be moving and wearing parts for no reason.

thanks

Phil
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

I'm not sure I understand the question.
I have a Winegard Traveller. When I arrive on a site, first thing I do is plug in to shore power then go about levelling etc. Once levelled, I push the button to power up the dish. By the time I'm finished my hook up, we are usually locked in to the Satellites.
The next time I touch this button is when we are ready to pull up stakes and power down which automatically stores the dish.
Or, are you referring to the reciever? I leave this on also to receive any software updates.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #5

Assuming you have Dish Network, it starts making that noise after the receiver has done it nightly updates and shuts down.
The time setting for nightly updates is adjustable.

I have mine set to 6 a.m. just before I get up. Problem solved.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Assuming you have Dish Network, it starts making that noise after the receiver has done it nightly updates and shuts down.
The time setting for nightly updates is adjustable.

I have mine set to 6 a.m. just before I get up. Problem solved.
I set mine for 9 am since neither one of us is watching TV then.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
What dish? On my Winegard Travler once it has locked on, I unplug the control box until its time to stow it for travel.
Hi Don,

You can also power down the interface unit (control box) by simultaneously pressing the "Power" and "Select" buttons. The interface unit will power down without affecting the antenna lock on the satellites. When you're ready to stow the antenna, simply press the "Power" button and the interface unit will power up, allowing control of the antenna again.

My interface unit is in an equipment compartment that gets pretty warm. I power down the interface unit to reduce heat in that compartment.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

Directv and Sat along with the Fridge have never been off in the last 5 years. Always plugged into power. The only time I hear the sat seeking is when traveling.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winegard Roadtrip In-motion Dome locks on signal and I turn off the search function when parked.

It might be turned on again when we leave the site for the next destination. Receiver is likely on the entire time if on shorepower.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I set mine for 9 am since neither one of us is watching TV then.
But if you leave the RV before 9 a.m. it will search occasionally until you get back. I set for 6 am because I watch the news at 6:30 a.m. therefore it may only search for 30 minutes.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by owr View Post
hi WillandJane,

My counrty star DP has a roof mount Dish as does yors and I turn mine off for the exact same reason.... otherwise it will from time to time relock and makes a whirring noise while moving... I agree seems to be moving and wearing parts for no reason.

thanks

Phil
It seems we must be in the dark about something.....I have a dish network, wineguard, roof mounted road trip in motion. While I can program the receiver to come on at a certain time for a program I want to watch and as well set it for a duration to go off, that sets the receiver and even if the receiver is off and unplugged, as long as the antenna has power it will track and about every hour or so adjust as needed so that if I turn the receiver back on then more than likely I have perfect picture and like you, if I am not watching TV, that's waisted motion that I can hear occasionally through the night.

WDK
Old 11-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
You can also power down the interface unit (control box) by simultaneously pressing the "Power" and "Select" buttons. The interface unit will power down without affecting the antenna lock on the satellites. When you're ready to stow the antenna, simply press the "Power" button and the interface unit will power up, allowing control of the antenna again.
I called Winegard and this is the procedure they gave to power down the dish. I do this after locking on to the satellites.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
It seems we must be in the dark about something.....I have a dish network, wineguard, roof mounted road trip in motion. While I can program the receiver to come on at a certain time for a program I want to watch and as well set it for a duration to go off, that sets the receiver and even if the receiver is off and unplugged, as long as the antenna has power it will track and about every hour or so adjust as needed so that if I turn the receiver back on then more than likely I have perfect picture and like you, if I am not watching TV, that's waisted motion that I can hear occasionally through the night.
WDK
Will;
Since you are on Dish network, you can't turn the dome antenna off because it has to track all three satellites. When you are watching TV, it will switch between satellites if the programming is broadcast on a different one. If you do turn it off, then it has to go back through its lengthy re-acquire of the satellites. When the receiver is turned off, it seems to "check" each satellite every once in a while and that is the sound you are hearing. Users on DirecTV can turn the antenna off because all programming is on one satellite. Travler antennas do not have to move for each satellite change because they "see" all three satellites at once.

I noticed the same thing with the Pathway X1 I had on my old Itasca and now the Winegard RoadTrip on the new Tiffin. I contacted Winegard and the occasional "check" is normal for DISH network dome antennas. Their only solution was to turn off the antenna, but then it has to re-acquire the satellites when you turn it back on.

One solution I found is to leave the satellite receiver turned on and just turn off the television. That way, the dome antenna stays locked onto whatever satellite channel you had it on when you turned the TV off. The dogs are much happier at night without the occasional groan from the roof. You may also need to re-program the receiver so it does not automatically go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
I have a dish network, wineguard, roof mounted road trip in motion.
WDK
This is the most important part of the question, because a lot of the answers concern the Wingard Trav'ler... a totally different animal. Yes, I like to turn our Winegard RoadTrip off once we set up for the same reason. As you probably already know, it's only a matter of pressing the off switch for the RoadTrip. The only problem I have had losing a signal after turning off the RoadTrip when stationary is after the motorhome has set in the driveway for a couple weeks. I have never lost the signal while camping when I turn the sat off after establishing the signal.

EDIT: I just realized Lt. Dan's answer is equally important because Dish network satellites are in different locations where DirecTV's standard def satellite is in a single location. Sorry about that Dan.

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite