Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #1

Satellite TV Options - Newbie Qs

So far we only have a roof antenna and a cable to plug into cable TV at RV parks that have it. Can someone explain to me what the more sophisticated options are; what they do; how they work; and how much they cost? I have heard of Direct TV, Dish, and Wineguard, but don't really know how any of them works. Do you need monthly accounts with all of them? What networks does each receive? Everything else that would go into a TV 101 remedial class will be much appreciated too. We just broke our antenna so now may be the time to upgrade. Thanks in advance.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #2

Satellite programming comes from one of two vendors, DirecTV and Dish. They are similar in pricing depending on the number of channels needed.

The dishes to receive the satellite programming are purchased. Winegard is one of the biggest manufacturers of satellite dishes. You purchase them.

There is a lot more on this subject. Here are some web pages that cover the subject, Satellite TV.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, you will probably want to repair your OTA antenna because that's the easiest way to get local programming off the air even with a satellite.

DISH Network and DirecTV are satellite providers and Winegard makes the antennas that receive satellite signals. There are two kinds, larger multi LNB types such as portable tripod mounts and roof mounts like the Travelr. The second option is an automatic dome type antenna but be aware that only DISH network has HD programming that can be received by a dome. Cost can range from a hundred dollars for a manual tripod antenna to $1800 for a Winegard Travler automatic roof mount.

Satellites services such as DISH and DirecTV will only carry local programming in your immediate service area. Once you get outside that area 100-300 miles, you can no longer receive your local channels. You can contact the provider and have your service area changed, but if you are moving around a lot it could be a hassle plus some providers may limit how often you can move service. Also, if you have service at home, you would lose programming there to record shows when you change the service area.

For an extra fee, DirecTV has what is called DNS service where you can receive the east and west coast major network channels anywhere.

As for cost, most have a monthly charge for each level of programming. DISH has an option that you can stop and start service as often as you like and only pay for a month at a time. Check out DISHForMyRV: DISH Mobile Satellite Systems & Pay As You Go TV for RV, Camping, Tailgating, & the Great Outdoors

I have DISH at home, so all I do is pay a $7 per month fee for an extra receiver that I take in the motor home when we travel. I don't change service areas and just receive local broadcast channels over the antenna.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have Direct at home since that was bundled with Comcast at home. With the Dutch Star we just took two receivers with us and everything was fine since we didn't have/want HD. Then we traded for the Magna which came with two HD Direct receivers. Took them out and used the ones from home till the MotoSat HD controller burned out. Bought a new RF Mogul controller and it works fine with the old MotoSat HD 3 LNB dish. Still considering upgrading to HD at the stick house, using the two HD receivers we own and moving them back and forth. Direct says that would cost us $10 a month more for the HD upgrade. We're out of contract and Direct keeps trying to get us to upgrade to a "free" HD receiver but that locks us into another two year contract.
Dish does have the nice feature of suspending service though, but it's a month at a time so you have to watch when you start/stop service.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #5

we just contacted the local DISH independent provider and they sent out a tech to our rv park site, installed receivers, provided coax cables, set up dish outside, pointed dish, found all satellites and channels, gave us a quick primer, and were gone in a hour - all at no cost. We carry the dish in our main bay and set up at our new site whenever we move. I've learned the techniques to finding and pointing the dish with an App and a simple Sat finder device.
The first year we paid a monthly rate of about $60 for 3 receivers and many, many HD channels. They've even come back to replace my dish after it fell over once and possibly bent the dish, at no charge.
I later purchased a King Tailgater mobile dish that I mounted on my coach roof for those travel days when it's a little more convenient than pulling out the big dish. The drawback is it only really supports one single main tv for all channels, with a secondary tv with only channels available from the Satellite that the main tv is tuned to at that time. But, it works well and can certainly also serve as your main Dish device if only one or two tvs are needed.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post

I have DISH at home, so all I do is pay a $7 per month fee for an extra receiver that I take in the motor home when we travel. I don't change service areas and just receive local broadcast channels over the antenna.
Thanks for the tutorial. That is a good start. So what you are doing is only giving you satellite TV when you are near home. Do I have that right?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #7

We have Dish service at our home and carry it along to the motor home. In the motorhome I have choice of two sat antennas. First choice is the wingard Trav'ler mounted on the roof. It's totally automatic, supports two tv's, supports HD programming and works with the Hopper. Limitation is that it's fixed to the roof so on occasion, a tree blocks the sat view. I also carry a Tailgater. It also supports HD tv, is portable so you can avoid trees, does not work with Hopper. I get the local channels by calling Dish and updating the service address. Takes a couple of minutes to make the call, nothing to shy away from. Been doing this for a few years and no issues.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #8

We have Direct TV @ home. I take a dvr receiver out of the house and put in the MH. I recently installed a Winegard trailer on the roof. when I stay several months in the south (winter) DTV changes the location so we get the local channels also. No Charge. Dish has the same options. I also carry a dish w/100' of cable if I am under a tree and want to still hook up for sat TV. I have replaced both TV's w/flatscreens so we have HDTV. Basically the monthly charges are the same yr around where ever we are.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

RV satellite system choice

I am also a newbie that has just ordered and received a new Pathways X2 antenna and 2 new receivers for my RV. I have tried all afternoon how to set up my system, but I am having no luck using the directions. Could somebody that owns this same system please explain set up instructions? I am confused as to how I hook up the new X2 dish to my receivers. Will I have to run the coaxial cable from the outside X2 dish thru a window in my RV to the receiver, or does the cable go from the dish into my CG cable input under my RV? I apologize for the stupid questions, but I am clueless at this point. Thanks for any advice and input.
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I actually have Dish also as they have the pay as you go program...though it is not as libera as it sounds...anyway I have an RV Mogul antenna that I am very happy with. Not anywhere near as big a company as Winegard, but can be serviced and even changed over to Direct TV without buying a new antenna if we decide to change. The one observation I will make, and I don't know how true this is in various areas of the country but at least here in the Pacific NW many of our campgrounds are really heavily treed...that pretty much prevents Satellite reception with a roof mounted antenna. If it is really important to you I would consider one of the portable antennas like the Winegard tailgater which you can move around and possibly avoid obstructions. If you are in the SW as we were last fall...you should be OK in most places as trees were pretty much nonexistant in many of the campgrounds we were in.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
This seems like a good option and a good price. Maybe someone else can comment about how good it works. Tailgater by Dish Network - Portable HDTV Antenna-Receiver Bundle-pplmotorhomes.com
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #12

We use directv with a wineguard travler automatic dish on our roof, and take our two DVRs.
For $15/month we get NYC programming (you could also choose LA), which is neat because when we winter in southern Calif, we can watch the evening news as early as 3:30....

Great setup, but it isn't cheap, as indicated in an earlier post, that dish is now about $1800 and our directv bill is about $120/mo.....that includes HBO and HD service and that nation wide NYC access.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

Dish Pay as You Go lets you start and stop service on a day by day basis. You only pay the days that you use the service. If you own the receiver and antenna you can get a 200 HD channel package for under $90/month, which you pay in advance. Say you use the service for 5 days, you will pay about $15 (5X3) to bring your account up to the $90. Dish has spot beams for local channels. This spot beam is good for about 300 miles, depending on which local you choose. When you are out of range you just change you service address to your current location. When you stop service tell them to keep the $90 credit on your account. You sometimes have to go thru several CS agents till you get one that knows how to read their "script" correctly. You can get a package receiver and portable antenna (Tailgater or X1) for around $500. X1 has a larger dish and thus slightly better reception.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dish must have changed that as their site says month by month as I stated earlier.

Quote:
Pay-as-you-go TV packages

Enjoy HD TV wherever you may roam with no multi-year contract and without changing your home provider. Simply pay for only the months you use with no commitment. You can restart your service whenever you wish.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, satellite tv, satellite