Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Satellite TV Signal Issue?

I have Dish Network thru a Winegard In-motion roof top dish. The over-the-dash TV, Living Room TV, and outdoor TV are all on one cable and Wally, and the bedroom TV is on a separate cable and Wally. All 4 TV's have beautiful reception thru the over-the-air antenna. With satellite, however, the bedroom and outdoor TV's have beautiful reception, but with the large living room TV, I will get a picture, but it is very pink and has no sound. The over-the-dash TV is usually good, but occasionally it is also pink with no sound. Dish support says it has to be an issue with my Winegard dish or my wiring not allowing a strong signal to get to the affected TV's. Anyone else have this issue or a way to check signal strength to the individual TV's or solve the issue?
ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Since your coach is a 2017, I think a call to Newmar would be in order. It seems like a wiring / splitter problem since some TV's work properly and others don't. Is your coach still in warranty?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #3

I've seen testing meters for what you're asking about I just don't recall where I saw them. It could have been one of the satellite companies. Try googling or Amazon. Maybe you need a signal booster for those other TV sets. Are your TV sets properly isolated from each other. Try unplugging your TV one at a time and see if that improves the display on the set your having problems with.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

OK ... can you run thru your connections again and put them in a form like:

1) Bedroom TV w/HDMI cable to Wally, Wally coax to Winegard roof Sat.
2) Bedroom TV w/coax to campground cable and OTA. ..... etc.

I'm guessing but my money is on an HDMI splitter that is loose or failing on the HDMI cable that eventually attaches to the dash TV and the BIG TV. That's the component that is different from OTA to those TVs. I.E., OTA and campground cable go to the TVs via coax and satellite signal is via HDMI from the Wally.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
OK ... can you run thru your connections again and put them in a form like:

1) Bedroom TV w/HDMI cable to Wally, Wally coax to Winegard roof Sat.
2) Bedroom TV w/coax to campground cable and OTA. ..... etc.

I'm guessing but my money is on an HDMI splitter that is loose or failing on the HDMI cable that eventually attaches to the dash TV and the BIG TV. That's the component that is different from OTA to those TVs. I.E., OTA and campground cable go to the TVs via coax and satellite signal is via HDMI from the Wally.
In my bedroom I have a coax coming directly to my Wally, then a HDMI going from the Wally to the TV. In the A/V cabinet up front, I have a coax going to my other Wally, then an HDMI to the splitter in the picture and apparently HDMI's to the 3 TV's. It appears to be two splitters velcro'd together. I have a picture of this and also another splitter which is located in a cargo bay. I guess this splitter is for the antenna/cable and has nothing to do with the satellite? I have checked the connections of all the cables to the splitters and everything appears to be tight. Still have a pink picture on the big TV with no sound. Other 3 TV's look great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4210.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	220048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4211.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	220049  

ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascdds View Post
In my bedroom I have a coax coming directly to my Wally, then a HDMI going from the Wally to the TV. In the A/V cabinet up front, I have a coax going to my other Wally, then an HDMI to the splitter in the picture and apparently HDMI's to the 3 TV's. It appears to be two splitters velcro'd together. I have a picture of this and also another splitter which is located in a cargo bay. I guess this splitter is for the antenna/cable and has nothing to do with the satellite? I have checked the connections of all the cables to the splitters and everything appears to be tight. Still have a pink picture on the big TV with no sound. Other 3 TV's look great.

Lower picture (with coax cables) it OTA and campground cable) upper picture is HDMI splitters for Wally to TVs. I suggest trying an HDMI cable directly from a Wally to the big TV for test.

You can also try a total reboot of the BIG TV ... unplug from wall, wait 1 minute or longer, replug.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #7

I also have a Dish HD Winegard Traveler. Recently I lost signal to the front TV. The TV (a two year old Vizio 43") was cutting out every 15 seconds or so and then totally crapped out. Very frustrating. Figured out it was the HDMI output on the Dish Hopper. Glad I didn't need to purchase and install a new TV..

The rear TV, on a Joey, worked fine. Dish had a new Hopper on its way immediately. After replacing and re-programing the remote, everything working as it should. Phew!!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #8

Suggestion, with everything turned on and pink screen on the front TV, try unplugging the HDMI cable from the back of the Wally for that TV, wait 3 seconds then reconnect the HDMI cable to the Wally and see if the picture clears. You may have a communication problem between the Wally to the splitter to the TV. If the above clears the picture then your problem is in the HDMI cable either to the splitter or to the TV. If possible replace both with HDMI 2.0 compliant cables.

Tags
satellite, satellite tv