Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
sawing in the wheel

This summer while traveling on I90 outside Buffalo and the DW driving we had a left front tire blow at 60mph. She was able to safely get it to the side of the road and with the help of Coach-Net we were able to get some temporary repairs made and a pair of Goodyears put on the front and we finished our 5500 mile trip.
The tire mechanic balanced the tires with a bag of sand and they seem to be balanced. The only thing now I have a slight sawing motion in the wheel. Can not notice anything else in the coach that shows any sign of that.
Right now the coach is in for repairs so that things that were not repaired on the road can be taken care of. After that I will take it in and have the tires spun balanced on the rig just in case the is a problem with the rim.
klaus4347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Same brand and model of tires all the way around?

I noticed some steering differences when I went to XRV 305/70's in front and the standard XZA2 Energy 275/70's in back. The rig doesn't hold a line as well as it did with the too low a weight rating 275's in front. Should probably have gone with the 305's all the way around.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #3

slight oscillations of the steering wheel at highway can be caused by out of balance of 1 or both frt tires, 1 slipped/separated belt in 1 or both frt tires or 1 or both rims running untrue.

Typically the oscillations if cause by balance won't show up at slow speeds while
slipped belt oscillation can be visible at slow or fast or all speeds

Balance isn't a safety concern..BUT a slipped/seperated belt is
Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Check tire pressure. Tire dealer might not have aired up tire to the PSI needed due to the weight you have on the front axle.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

"sawing" is not a very precise description, but I associate that with a side to side movement of the steering wheel. That is not a typical symptom of tire balance problem, but could easily result from over-inflation. It could also be a simple artifact of a different tire tread design that gives a feel you aren't used to yet. However, I would bet on the inflation. Tire installation techs tend to set pressure at the max for the tire, as a way to avoid any liability for under-inflation. Nobody has been sued yet for over-inflation.

If possible, get the rig weighed axle by axle and set the front tire weight for the actual load plus a safety margin. If you can't weigh it, use the front axle GAWR, divide by two and add 300 lbs. Goodyear has a load inflation table to tell you how much air pressure is needed for any given weight, and the handling will be best at that pressure or just slightly (about 5 psi) above.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too am not sure what you mean by "sawing" but I'm assuming you mean you have to correct a little bit all the time.

Over inflated tires will cause that. I had both my front tires replaced a while back and the dealer inflated them to 110lb. That caused steering problems along with a very harsh ride. For my weight on the front Michelin recommends 85lb.

I knew that at the time but drove the rig about 250 miles just to see what would happen.
Lowered them to 90lb and things improved.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Don't forget that some roads have pretty bad troughs worn in the road by trucks. If your see/sawing goes away on some roads, or by moving to a different lane, I wouldn't worry about it. RV's have almost the same foot print of big trucks, so they wander back and forth in the troughs. Especially noticeable with new tires and high pressure.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Vibration causing the steering wheel to oscillate at 62 mph. Thought it was the alignment. Had it checked at Freightliner in Gaffney and when they saw the alignment had been done the previous year, suggested that I needed my "runouts" checked. They checked them and corrected the problem. That involved checking for high spots in the tire tread and remounting the tire to reduce the out of round condition by mounting the high spot at the 12 o'clock position on the wheel. Didn't really understand what they did but it completely eliminated the problem and was much less than an alignment.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know exactly what you mean by "sawing". I had new Michelins put on my wife's Avalon, and the steering wheel would go back and forth at low speeds (20-35 mph). As you increased speed, it became more of an (almost) vibration at the steering wheel. I took it back to them, and they re-balanced, no change.

I thought maybe one of the alloys was bent, so I jacked it up in the garage and checked the wheel as I spun it (NO runout). When I looked at the tread, I noticed it appeared "wavy" when observed from the front as the wheel spun around. Sure enough, the tread wobbled when the tire was spun, as though the wheel was bent. I took it back, they warrantied the tire, and the "sawing" was GONE.

Raise the front of your rig with the jacks and give the tire a spin. I'll bet your tread was improperly applied to the tire. I hope this helps!