Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Scales for four corner weighing

By chance does anyone know of a website which lists vehicle scales that can be used for four corner weighing? All the ones that I have found here in Southern Maryland are configured so that the both wheels on any axle must be on the scale.

I Googled myself to near extinction but I haven't been able to find anything.

Might there be a chain of truck stops that offer that service?

Thanks,
Norm

A6IntruderBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6IntruderBN View Post
By chance does anyone know of a website which lists vehicle scales that can be used for four corner weighing? All the ones that I have found here in Southern Maryland are configured so that the both wheels on any axle must be on the scale.

I Googled myself to near extinction but I haven't been able to find anything.

Might there be a chain of truck stops that offer that service?

Thanks,
Norm
RVSEF RV Weighing
Here's a good place to start

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Try one of these locations.

CAS RW-L RW-S Wheel Load Axle Scale

Rice Lake Weighing Systems - Portable Vehicle Scales

A little on the pricey side, if memory serves when I checked about a year ago it was $1,600. I've thought about getting one for my bag of tricks.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #4

Don't really need to weigh it ..... Try this....Inflate tires to whatever your research says it needs. Now use a stick of chalk and draw a straight line across the tread (I draw two, one forward and one aft as the tire sits).

Next, drive for a couple of miles then stop and check the chalk lines on the tires. If the chalk lines have disappeared, the tire is running flat like it should. If the line is only gone in the middle there is too much pressure. If the line is gone on both sides only, but intact in the middle, not enuf pressure!

Note the pressure on the tires when done and that is what you should maintain, at least until load changes a lot.

Ed
Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Corner weights

Have you checked out some local CAT scales? Some may offer enough room to drive a little off to one side. If there is space and clearance I ould do this.

With a two axle MH I would get my first weigh-in with front axle on the front platform and rear axle on a different platform.
You now have front axle and rear axle total loads.

If you can then re-enter the scale with only the Right or Left side tires on the platforms. Again get the front tire load from one platform and the rear on a different platform.

Now do the math and you will know the individual loads or each corner.
For each axle select the higher real load and look that load up in a Load-Inflation table to learn your minimum cold inflation.

All tires on any axle should all have the same inflation.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #6

you will find that scales out in the country (mostly operated by grain elevators) will take time to work with you and usually have space to offset one axle off the scales.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Have you checked out some local CAT scales? Some may offer enough room to drive a little off to one side. If there is space and clearance I ould do this.
If you're ever in the Graham, NC area on I85 exit 150 the Flying J has a scale where you can do what Tireman9 is saying. I did 4 corner weighing there using that method, it cost about $8.

I also called around and all the other truck stops I called in my area had rails that forced you to keep all the wheels on the scales.

Good Luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. I don't understand the term CAT scales yet but I bet it comes around during this discussion.

Another thing you said is that all the tires on the same axle should have the same pressure which leads me to the question... Why then is it advisable to weigh all four corners?

Or is that just one school of thought while others are adjusting inflation /per corner?

Thanks all again,
Norm
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Thanks. I don't understand the term CAT scales yet but I bet it comes around during this discussion.
CAT Scale
Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Cat Scales are found at the better truck stops, such at Flying J, Petro, TA, etc. they weight the tractor and the trailer by axle as well as total weight, so the driver knows the weight of the combine unit as they travel to where they need to go.
Cat Scales are the only scales that will guerantee what they weigh, and by paying the fine if the weight is incorrect.
Most people only knows that the gross weight of a combine unit is 80,000 pds or 40 tons, but alot don't know that a driver can be legal on a total weight but yet over weight on any one of the axles, and if you are really over weight then you have a big problem, fines and moving things at the the scales with out help, of course then the dispatcher is upset too as it now start the delays on this run not to mention other plans your travel agent (dispather) has for you. All this cause the driver didn't go to the truck scales. But Cat Scales are the best ones. They will pay any over weight fine. If there scales were wrong.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Another thing you said is that all the tires on the same axle should have the same pressure which leads me to the question... Why then is it advisable to weigh all four corners?

Or is that just one school of thought while others are adjusting inflation /per corner?

Thanks all again,
Norm
The reason to 4 corner weighing is because of imbalance between sides of the axle, for example the weight on the front axle may be 7,000lb, but it is split unequally with 4,000lb on one side and 3,000lb on the other. This happens a lot in RV's because of the design, for example big slide on one side and not the other.

If you took the axle weight and divided by 2 you'd get 3,500lb. Let's say that a single tire had to be inflated per the tire mfr charts to 75psi for 3,500lb and 80psi for 4,000lb, you'd be 5psi underinflated for the heavy side of the axle.

As for another school of thought, I have just added 5 to 10psi to the chart's pressure when using axle weights, assuming the weight difference would not be extreme as in my example above.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you both....:-)
Norm
Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:

Thanks all again,
Norm
Others have provided info and a link to CAT scales. If you get to a large RV Rally you could use RVSEF services Any certified scale will work for getting your RV weighed. You might find a local company if you check your phone book or try this link.

You should NOT adjust your inflation for each tire based on it's real load. Tire inflation affects both load carrying capability as well asa vehicle handling (turning right forces should = turning left forces). You should have all tires on an axle at the same inflation +/- 1 psi which is easy to achieve with a digital inflation gauge.

Now knowing that all tires on an axle should have the same inflation we need to be sure no tire is overloaded. The procedure recommended by experienced tire design engineers is to:
1. Get the weights with the vehicle fully loaded (water, fuel, food, clothes, co-pilot, pets etc.
2. Use a published Load & Inflation table. You should be able to find that info HERE.
3. Look up the lowest inflation that has the load higher than yours.
4. Be sure to note that if you have Duals there are different load numbers.
5. That lowest inflation is your MINIMUM "Cold" inflation.
6. "Cold" inflation is measured at ambient, not in the sun and at least 3 or 4 hours after it was driven.
7. All tires leak air at about 1% - 3% per month. Also cold tire pressure changes with ambient temperature at about 2% per 10 Degrees F, so to avoid having to inflate your tires every few days as you travel around many recommend that you inflate your tires to 5 psi above your minimum. That way it will be longer before you have to add air.

Finally, If you discover you are a few (1 to 5) psi lower than you want to be, but have to drive a bit to get to high pressure air, simply make a note of the number of pounds you need to add for each tire. Drive the few miles at speeds lower than 50 and when you get to the location with air again measure the now "Hot" pressure. Check your notes and add the number of pounds you want for each tire and add that plus 1psi to the hot pressure to get your new inflation.
If you follow this procedure I think you will find that you are back to your desired +/- 1 psi cold the next moning.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tireman9; thank you very much for the time and effort you put into that reply ....:-)