Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
ScanGaugeD or Silverleaf

My interest in engine monitors arises from the fact that there is no trans temp gauge in my coach. Everything I have heard or read about the Allison tranny is that it is near bullet-proof. However, with mountain driving, I want to keep an eye on the temp. Turbo psi reading would also be nice.

Here is the question. Although both ScangaugeD and Silverleaf will display trans temp, is the ability to display many more system parameters on the Silverleaf worth the extra $500+ ? As I understand it, Silverleaf is $300 plus cost of a notebook or tablet, say, $400. ScanGauge is $160. ScanGauge can display only 4 parameters, but I'm not sure I need more than that. Anyone run nav software in a separate window along side Silverleaf? That would be a nice feature, if feasible.

I am really out of my depth here, so all comments informed by experience are appreciated.

Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

I have the silverleaf vmcspc. It runs well on an inexpensive windows based tablet. One of the things I like is the ability to customize the screen. You can obviously choose your gauges but you can also make them larger or smaller. Makes it very easy to see them when driving. Note that I donít run nav concurrently but I believe some do

8hunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

ScanGaugeD or Silverleaf

With Scanguage you have a lot of options to view, you just can only look at 4 at a time.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

SilverLeaf is the way to go if you want a lot of info all the time. I do, that is why I have the SilverLeaf but mine goes through my backup camera. With all the stuff I have on the dash it works for me. If I had it to do over I may have went with the PC. I like electronic gauges. I run the Edge Insight CDS in my Ford PSD 8 PDI at one time, love it.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Silverleaf all the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	189443  
Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Silverleaf all the way.
Don, so cool.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I looked into Silverleaf last year as well as Scan Gauge D. I realized I was driving an RV, not piloting the space shuttle. There were a few functions I wanted and I didn't want a tablet or notebook on the dash. Besides being obtrusive they also represented a distraction akin to watching TV while driving. The Scan Gauge D was $139 at PPL RV in Houston and it gives me everything that is important. It's small but easy to read. JMHO
Old 01-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

I use vmspc and built a cherry holder that is mounted at a 55 degree angle above the driver seat so it is perpendicular to my line of sight and out of the way. Very, very informative and easy to quickly check when needed but no distraction otherwise. My setup is currently the second photo down on Silverleaf's website at the gallery of installations tab.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
...SilverLeaf is the way to go if you want a lot of info all the time. I do, that is why I have the SilverLeaf but mine goes through my backup camera....
Mine goes through the camera also.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I looked into Silverleaf last year as well as Scan Gauge D. I realized I was driving an RV, not piloting the space shuttle. There were a few functions I wanted and I didn't want a tablet or notebook on the dash. Besides being obtrusive they also represented a distraction akin to watching TV while driving. The Scan Gauge D was $139 at PPL RV in Houston and it gives me everything that is important. It's small but easy to read. JMHO
My thoughts exactly. After a few years of trying to decide between the two, I realized the Scan GaugeD was all (actually more) than I would ever need.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Silverleaf all the way.
Wow, Don. Was the square opening already there for the glass inst gauge cluster? What was involved in the installation process? Thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
SilverLeaf is the way to go if you want a lot of info all the time. I do, that is why I have the SilverLeaf but mine goes through my backup camera. With all the stuff I have on the dash it works for me. If I had it to do over I may have went with the PC. I like electronic gauges. I run the Edge Insight CDS in my Ford PSD 8 PDI at one time, love it.
2 stroker
Thanks, 2 Stroker. Was connecting it to your backup camera monitor relatively easy or a pain?
Old 01-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Wow, Don. Was the square opening already there for the glass inst gauge cluster? What was involved in the installation process? Thanks

It is a new dash totally. Dale at Silverleaf had it custom cut from factory drawings. I then had my original SL box mounted on the left, kept the backup camera, and had the climate controls moved up to the dash from the panel down below
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #14

Will the Scan Gague D show boost for a Cat C7?

Tags
scangauge