Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
ScanGuageD

Do any of you have the new ScanGaugeD. It looks like a good, easy to use alternative to the confusing system (I am technilogicly inept) in my 2009 Winnebago Tour. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Hello, I'm thinking about this too; so I'll tag along and see what info you get.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I have one mine and like it. You might run a search on this and come up with this and others.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/scan-gauge-d-120744.html
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Scangauge D and like it for the 4 extra displays,like Turbo Boost, instant mileage,Trans temp.,coolant temp.that you can select for the display.
Paid about $ 152 at Camping World online,no shipping for Good Sam members. Hook -Up is instant with Ignition On.
It came with Velcro strips for mounting.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
Do any of you have the new ScanGaugeD. It looks like a good, easy to use alternative to the confusing system (I am technilogicly inept) in my 2009 Winnebago Tour. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
I have a Scanguage D and I love it. It works right out of the box and easy to set up. Plug it in and go. There are other threads about the Scanguage D
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I think the ScangaugeD would be a great addition, I have the regular scangauge on my car.
Prior to ordering one for my Journey, I went under the dash to find the port where it plugs in. I spent hours and still havnt found it, looking in all the recommended places etc. I guess I would have to start tearing out all the under dash wiring looms to find it, which I am not going to do.
So, just a suggestion, prior to ordering, locate your diagnostic plug location 1st.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Is it a universal fitting for the diag port?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
We are on our first trip with the Scanguage D, so this is its shakedown cruise. So far I really like it. It comes with a dual side 6 pin---9 pin adaptor for the diag. port under my instrument panel. Plugged it in, did the quick setup for my rig, and it worked great right away. The display monitors 4 engine/tranny parameters at one time which can be changed anytime to 4 others. Whatever you choose plus the initial setup is stored in NVRAM, so you can disconnect the RJ-45 connector at the back or side of the Scanguage anytime and won't lose any setup info. Found a perfect mounting location on the instrument panel, and used the side RJ-45 option port. It also has a rear panel RJ-45 port mounting option. I am monitoring Engine coolant temp/Allison Tranny Temp/Alternator charge voltage/and Average MPG. There are many other parameters to choose, and if you need more, there is a form included to send in to get the programming codes to add other parameters not included with the default setup. The only thing I have found so far that I'm not crazy about is the fact that the Chassis batteries will discharge while the Scanguage D is plugged into the Diag. Comm. port (Key on or off). So, if I am dry camping, or not on shore power (I have a Trik-L-Charge), I disconnect the RJ-45 connector at the guage. It starts working immediately after re-attaching later. So far the digital readout has been dead-on compared with the analog guages, and much more accurate. Otherwise, no complaints so far---works good for me.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Is it a universal fitting for the diag port?
Go take a look at the one installed at the rear of your coach, for the Techs use., covered by a plastic cover.
The same plug only up front under your dash somewhere.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Connection port

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
I think the ScangaugeD would be a great addition, I have the regular scangauge on my car.
Prior to ordering one for my Journey, I went under the dash to find the port where it plugs in. I spent hours and still havnt found it, looking in all the recommended places etc. I guess I would have to start tearing out all the under dash wiring looms to find it, which I am not going to do.
So, just a suggestion, prior to ordering, locate your diagnostic plug location 1st.
My port was very hard to find. A friend with the same year model found his easily in a different location. Mine was behind several wire looms in a small bracket attached to the firewall. I found it by feel and once I found it I could move the looms sufficiently to remove it from the firewall to a more accessible location. Neither Winnebago nor Freightliner could tell me where to look or how it was attached. I suspect it depends on the technician working on the wires in that area. I do like the information available on the scangauge and think it worth the nasty search for the connector.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Got my Scan Gauge today and ran out to install it. Found a great spot on the dash with nothing behind it so I drilled a 1/2" hole for the wire and velcroed the gauge to the dash. Works great and I can't wait for the next trip and fuel fill up so I can set all trip settings. Only complaint is that it did not come with an instruction book necessitating downloading the one on the Scan Gauge web site and printing 60 pages. Included in the package is a post card that you fill out and they send the booklet but who can wait?

The piece of mind that will come from being able to watch all engine and transmission functions will be wonderful. One of the best additions I have ever made.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You have one under the dash. You just have to find it. Mine was hidden behind a bunch of crap but it was there. It works great on my Cat 330. Take another look under there or upfront under the hood. It's there.
Good luck and seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
On my 04 Journey it was just above the floor, on the firewall behind a big bundle of wires. If I remember right it is just to the left of the brake pedal. Hope that helps
Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I just installed a diagnostic data control cable in my 1999 National Tradewind as it did not come from the factory with one.
As to battery drain, yes as it gets it's power from the ECM plug that has battery voltage on pin C all the time. One could change that to a fused line to the key but requires doing a mod to the plug. ( see comments at end)
The other item I found was the coil connectors in the scan gauge provided connector
are too large and do not grip the male pin connectors like they should.
I have been in contact with scan gauge on these two items and they have sent my
information up the line and will get back to me later and I will post that information.
The loose connectors can cause some strange stuff on the display as they make and break contact.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote