Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are catalog programs for the PC and the MAC. Some are costly, and some are free. Just do a search for software catalog, disk catalog, or other combinations.

The catalog program will catalog any directory, including the entire PC files, DVD's including music, etc. You open the program once you have everything cataloged and you can word search, then open the directory that the information is in and open the file/document that you want.

In the past couple months I was having some external hard drive problems and I was concerned that I was going to lose all of the pictures we had taken on our 4600+ mile trip. Trust me, DW is the camera manager and we have 1000's of pictures. So I started putting the files on DVD. I ended up with about 25 DVD's with folder after folder after folder of pictures.

I paid for a program called Disk Catalog Maker for MAC. I cataloged every DVD and the end results is that each DVD is now indexed in the software program with a main title, folder, sub folders, and down to the item level. I labeled the DVD's "Pictures-01 through Pictures-25."

The program has a search function. For example if I search in the Disk Catalog Maker search box for "flower" (without quotes) it will find all of DW's pictures on flowers and tell me what DVD they are on. When the DVD is inserted a preview pane is available also.

Scanned receipts could be filed in one folder and a title assigned to each receipt. A catalog program would show the receipt when needed.

Anyhow, that is one way to organize your files on a computer.

Another way is a spreadsheet where you enter all the information as you want it. Sorting can be done by any column and only your imagination as to what you want for columns is the limit.

Happy trails.

For the PC I just did a search on "disk catalog software" without the quotes and there is a lot of software for the PC crowd.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I scan all my records into PDF. I have downloaded almost all my various service manuals/books to the Icloud for access anywhere with copies on my Ipad for when I don't have a network connection to the Icloud. I then keep the hard copies of all these items in the least accessible part of the RV. I keep anything else I don't have electronic versions of in a more convenient place.

When I traded in my Winnebago I provided the dealership all my service records with my phone number and address redacted. I also provided a spreadsheet with a synopsis of date, mileage/hours, cost and a general description of work done for quick reference. They have my blessings to provide the next owner all that information.

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by H.Huester View Post

We all want to see extensive maintenance records on a used coach we are contemplating on buying. Would having electronic maintenance records/receipts, versus paper copies of the same, be a variable to wether or not you would buy a used coach?

Thanks for your input.
In general I prefer hard copies of both records and manuals although I have both for most of our manuals. As long as you have them at all it would be a plus, and I think most would understand a full timer converting to .pdf format for space and weight. Hard copies would be a plus for me but as long as there were digital records it would not be a deal breaker.
The above post is just my experience/opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Many manuals can be taken apart and you only need to scan the parts you need.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your input. Sounds like scanning the maintenance receipts is the way to go for me. BUT, as a compromise, I've decided to leave the hard copies of receipts in a folder, on top of the pile of "sentimental" stuff left behind in my sister's basement (though not to me, appears hard copies may be "sentimental" to some). If/when it comes time to sell, I can send prospective buyers the CD of receipts, pictures, manuals, etc., etc. to help them with their decision-making process before they come to see the rig. Then, provide the hard copies (if they want them) with the rig as it sells.

Thanks again for ALL your inputs!

H.Huester is offline   Reply With Quote